Google Maps lost their minds?

BareFeat

Very strange, we pulled up the google cache map this morning to find our town in complete disarray!

They seem to have added some "historic district" markings and have added other things that have never been there. For instance a large area marked "mall common" that doesn't even exist.

Obviously this has nothing to do w/ the geocaching website. Just curious if this is something in our own town

only or if anyone else notices some weirdness in their areas.

We have reported the problem to them, It sure would be nice to have all that extra area they claim is greenspace!

sorry for slightly OTP

I see large numbers of map errors. Particularly since I started reviewing, I'm more aware of the amount of map error out there. Once one map company mis-labels, it appears that others then copy and reproduce that error.

I'm happy to see that Google maps is trying to get things right, and has a reporting mechanism.

I'm mostly concerned with public land, and the managers thereof. Yesterday I was looking at some off shore islands (Florida). All maps had them green, but they were variously identified as National Wildlife Refuge, a county park, and a state park depending upon the map set. The north section is a state park, there's a tiny county park on the south tip. There's National Wildlife Refuge further north along the coast. It does not include any part of the islands I was looking at.

I once placed a cache on state lands. All of the maps on the cache page identified the property as a National Wildlife Refuge, except the USGS topo map, but it only showed the boundary at a certain zoom. I left that cache on queue for another reviewer, with a reviewer note explaining the property, and lots of mapping and links to the state lands maps. I named the property and the land manager in the description.

The new Google maps (the ones that show property lines) are completely whacked out! Hundreds of new 'parks' have popped up. Some with bizarre names. "Municipal Open Space". I especially like the park named "Bowlby" that is the FedEx building. One state park swallowed up hundreds of acres of a watershed. Wonder if the state or the watershed know about this? There are many new errors on street names. Google should be embarassed at the number of obvious errors. It makes one wonder if there is anything accurate about the new maps?

I found in my area that the Google change introduced about as many errors as were fixed, so I wasn't unhappy with the change.

With the new easy error reporting mechanism, I am pretty sure the maps will be fixed much faster than NAVTEQ or TeleAtlas errors were. I reported 2 errors in my area. Google has accepted both reports and says the maps should be changed within a month.

If we all reported all map and routing errors for trips to geocaches, all the maps that affect us would be right in November. (OK, an overstatement. But we do have a hint that we can get fixes much faster than in the past.)

Very strange, we pulled up the google cache map this morning to find our town in complete disarray!

They seem to have added some "historic district" markings and have added other things that have never been there. For instance a large area marked "mall common" that doesn't even exist.

Obviously this has nothing to do w/ the geocaching website. Just curious if this is something in our own town

only or if anyone else notices some weirdness in their areas.

We have reported the problem to them, It sure would be nice to have all that extra area they claim is greenspace!

sorry for slightly OTP

What town would that be?