Lessons Learned

WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Vendors, Shoppers, Traders, Volunteers, Organizers...I'm sure we all learned a few lessons over the weekend, probably a different set for each of us. Let's share what we learned, in the hopes of making things smoother for those who follow in our footsteps.

I personally learned the value of having a list and a budget. I did much better in my buying and trading now that I have determined my taste in coins. My last Mega was my first, and I went a little off track with my buying and trading. I looked at the pile at the end and was disappointed in myself. This time I am thrilled with my take!

Another lesson I can see(from the stories). Maybe the volunteer staff should include one or two who's task is to make sure that the other volunteers and the vendors have food and drinks. This could be done by taking orders, or by making the rounds with a basket of sandwiches.

What lessons did YOU learn from the weekend?

Maybe this is silly, but I learned what more people look like.

So now when I see "Write Shop Robert". I see this smiling guy with a ponytail and a hat. I think it is awesome to have this friendly picture of you in my head !

I know there are other things and I will write later, but that's the main one that comes to mind right now.

I learned that if I want a good selection of tsun's coins, then I need to be there before the doors open! 5 minutes after it opens isn't fast enough!

*cough* :ph34r:

-----------------------------------

I learned that if you are on the committee you won't get very much sleep. I forgot to drink and eat until I started getting lightheaded and had to think of when I ate last. I also didn't get much of a chance to sit down all weekend. My legs/knees are still hurting pretty bad. Oh! I also learned that you're going to have to talk a lot! I have never talked that much in my whole life. My throat still hurts!

I'm not trying to scare off the committee members for next year, just giving you guys a heads up. The event was totally worth it. I'm so glad it turned out the way it did.

I learned that if I want a good selection of tsun's coins, then I need to be there before the doors open! 5 minutes after it opens isn't fast enough!

:P

Tsun's Top 10 List :D

1. I learned Yime makes an excellent traffic arm signal in the parking garage for GCF.

2. I learned that you should never wear cowboy boots when vending.

3. I learned that I should never joke about getting snowed in cause I almost jinxed myself.

4. I learned that the Dark Knight is smokin' hot :ph34r:

5. I learned that I should have shaved my legs so I could have wore shorts at GCF since it was hot there.

6. I learned don't tell Pete what you're bringing to the vendor booth to sell.

7. I learned to carry a map and download the event coords to my GPS :laughing:

8. I learned how to work a key card for an elevator.

9. I learned that the water from the shower made my hair really nice and soft after I blow-dryed it :anibad:

10. I learned there was an Olive Garden and I totally didn't get to eat there :laughing:

WSR... I know you wanted some serious stuff, lol. I'm just having fun tonight :D I'll be more serious a day or so from now :D

10. I learned there was an Olive Garden and I totally didn't get to eat there :anibad:

:ph34r: I did! Rick's dad took us there for dinner after we got done working the early registration booth on Friday. It was yummy! :laughing:

Lucky duck! We don't have one here and it's been years since I've been to one.

Phew! I thought you were going to bust my kneecaps for bragging. :laughing: We don't have an Olive Garden in Mtn. Home. We have to go to Boise if we want it.

I learned-

MustangJoni gives great hugs

Tsun is very sweet

Joel makes *fabulous* coins

The Moop is very funny

I also learned the value of bringing snacks since the baby is not nearly as forgiving of skipping meals as I usually am

that I am a total sucker for cute little boys coming around trading coins (an AE for what turned out to be a non-trackable? Suuure, why not!)

and that it is very dangerous to leave all the cash in Holmbiorn's wallet when he wants to 'wander for a minute'!

:ph34r:

This was my 1st mega event and I had a blast, but I did learn to be more picky with the coins you trade for. After I got home I was looking them over and thought I traded for this? But it was some kids that kept coming up and wanting to trade, and I gave in. Also learned not to take their word, but to look the coin over good. Thought I was trading for a trackable coin by vanelle, but it ended up being the non trackable version.

Also learned to check out other tables, not just sit at my table the whole time.

Also to get out there and meet other people. Didn't meet to many from the forums, but wanted to. lol

All said and done though, I had a great time!

I learned that if you are on the committee you won't get very much sleep. I forgot to drink and eat until I started getting lightheaded and had to think of when I ate last. I also didn't get much of a chance to sit down all weekend. My legs/knees are still hurting pretty bad. Oh! I also learned that you're going to have to talk a lot! I have never talked that much in my whole life. My throat still hurts!

I'm not trying to scare off the committee members for next year, just giving you guys a heads up. The event was totally worth it. I'm so glad it turned out the way it did.

Okay, so I wasn't at this GCF, but I was at the previous one :ph34r: . I have to reiterate what Kelly said...being on the committee, I didn't get much sleep, woke up way too early, forgot to eat, and ended up with sore legs and throat. A couple of other things I learned...give the camera to the hubby (I ended up with hardly any pictures because I did not have the time), and don't assume you will have time to trade if you are on the committee (I was too busy doing other stuff to do much trading).

It was so worth it though!

... and thought I traded for this? But it was some kids that kept coming up and wanting to trade, and I gave in. Also learned not to take their word, but to look the coin over good. Thought I was trading for a trackable coin by vanelle, but it ended up being the non trackable version. ...

:laughing::ph34r: I sincerely hope that trade for my untrackable was with one of those little boys, and not me. I am pretty sure I was clear about the Non-Trackable vs Trackable versions. If it was me, and you feel it was unfair, please drop me a note via my profile.

I learned that I have no ability to say 'no' to children. They're cute, but they know their coins! So now I take a small box of traders that I am willing to let kids go through and choose anything they like, even if all they leave me is a pathtag, or a penny. :laughing:

Edited by Vanelle
I learned that I have no ability to say 'no' to children. They're cute, but they know their coins! So now I take a small box of traders that I am willing to let kids go through and choose anything they like, even if all they leave me is a pathtag, or a penny. :ph34r:

I wish I had this advice before trading with this guy, he totally got the best of me. Here he is doing a little trading victory dance:

ef8c3d85-80c3-49fa-a799-0bcfaadc9450.jpg

--Marky

he is very cute and his geo name is Lil Weasel...sounds like he lives up to his name when trading.

beware of the cute kid in make up....they always win. :ph34r:

i learned to get out and talk to more people. i didn't meet nearly as many people as i wanted. i started talking to a few and sort of stayed there all day.

i also learned to jump and push more at the end of the day when you are going for the prices being thrown into the crowd. LOL

On a 'suggestion' note I agree that maybe some kind of food could be provided or pre-ordered for vendors. I saw that room service came around but didn't even want to know how much that would cost! :-)

Maybe a suggestion for vendows since we are there from 10-4 is sometime before the event set up pizza orders from a pizza delivery place and coordinate somehow before the day of the event with what vendors would want what kind of pizza or maybe give the vendors the option of "for an extra $X pizza will be provided to you for lunch." That way the committee could purchase some sheet pizzas or something like that for the vendors.

Just kind of talking out loud. From attending the last two years from 10-4 my stomach gets a little growly around lunch time and we really can't leave to go pick up food. :-)

As many of you know I am not a coin collector. But I do own the Icon_SP account. I have decided that I will not miss the next GCF.

So here is the deal, since I don't collect coins and am there just to meet coiners I am now offering to buy pizza for all coin vendors at the next GCF. I will pay for and deliver two slices and a coke to every vendor that wants some.

Now if one of you would remind me next year cause I am sure I will forget that I promised this by then, old age memory and all. :ph34r:

(1) I learned that if you are standing in front of Tsun's booth talking and the doors to the event open... get out of the way since a stampede of buffalo are headed your way! :laughing:

(2) I learned not to eat Burger King at SeaTac, if makes you sick for the rest of the weekend :ph34r:

(3) I learned to bring a list of coins you want, rather than guess what you want.

(4) I learned to mingle you have to get yourself to other tables

(5) I learned that people are trustworthy, I would leave my coin traders for 10 minutes and come back and they were still there! (well most of them were)

(6) I learned to drink and eat during the day if you can...

(7) I learned that I need to make a list of 'to dos' kinda like a bucket list for the event or else I would never do the 'to dos" ~ go give mustangjoni a hug, say hi to oakcoins, go ask Georgia if she needs help, save this coin for this person, let this person know I forgot to bring that coin...

(8) I learned that sticking around for poker is a lot of fun. All in on 9,3 is not good odds!

(9) Did I mention a list...

(10) I learned that trackable chocolates would be an awesome idea... except they would certainly be a limited edition!

:laughing:

Edited by avroair

(3) I learned to bring a list of coins you want, rather than guess what you want.

(7) I learned that I need to make a list of 'to dos' kinda like a bucket list for the event or else I would never do the 'to dos" ~ go give mustangjoni a hug, say hi to oakcoins, go ask Georgia if she needs help, save this coin for this person, let this person know I forgot to bring that coin...

Those are my top two things I learned. The shopping list of coins and the list of things I need to do while I'm at the event or throughout the weekend. If I had done #7, I would have left the TB in Utah that I picked up in Michigan that wanted to get to Cali. But now it's back home safe on my coffee table :ph34r:

What I learned was that WSR is a terrific And a very soft spoken guy ! Also, I learned that there were more people there that I wanted to meet in person ( should have been reversed, also :laughing: ) and that it is hard to get away to go caching when it is so much fun inside.

OH, Also, that just because I saw a bicycle coin doesn't mean that it is the same as the one from the year before :ph34r: .

As many of you know I am not a coin collector. But I do own the Icon_SP account. I have decided that I will not miss the next GCF.

So here is the deal, since I don't collect coins and am there just to meet coiners I am now offering to buy pizza for all coin vendors at the next GCF. I will pay for and deliver two slices and a coke to every vendor that wants some.

Now if one of you would remind me next year cause I am sure I will forget that I promised this by then, old age memory and all. :laughing:

I've just learned that webscouter is a very generous person! But then, many in this community are. :laughing:

I'll remind you! I have a memory like a steel sieve! :ph34r:

Also, I learned that there were more people there that I wanted to meet in person ( should have been reversed, also :D )

I know! I tried to hunt you down to meet you when I heard your name called out on one of the raffles- totally surprised someone else who probably thought I was a stalker following her around the entire room trying to catch her. :(

Well there's alway Geowoodstock next year...

I also learned that LoriDarlin grew 4 inches taller this year! :D

She is very short compared to her husband.

Then her kids are going to be flying apast her soon.

I was so glad to see we had tall enough ceilings there :D

:laughing::P:P:P:P:P:P:P:P .... to all 3 of you!! LOL :D

ps - You know how when you graduate they pick things people will do in their lifetime after graduating? I was honored by my class yep I was. Their vision for me wasn't to be an astronaut or rocket scientist or something cool....I was voted that I will come back to change the high school gym lights without a ladder...wow now there's something to live up too huh?!! :mad:

ok seriously...I did learn a few lessons....

1 - Take Toojin with you when traveling...she brings EVERYTHING you wouldn't think of!

2 - Take time to eat (I think we had one meal there the entire time)

3 - Save your money sooner to buy more coins cuz your money will run out fast

4 - Practising poker might be helpful

5 - Offer to help/volunteer with the event...its a great way to meet people

I had a blast :D Thanks to the committe for putting it on. My mind is just now getting back to reality and not at GCF anymore :D

Thanks everyone for the fun memories :D

We learned to slow down and take our time looking through traders collections...

There is always an unexpected gem!

We learned this is one heck of a fun loving, generous community of folks from around the globe..

We learned to bring our list of coin questions as someone there knows the answers..!!!

What a great time we had!!! :o

Lucky duck! We don't have one here and it's been years since I've been to one.

if you ever in the Thornton Colorado area, look me up, dinners on me! :o

I'll do you one better...When I am in Thorton, I'll look you up and dinner is on ME!!

hey wsr your on!! ill never pass up a dinner/lunch op, with someone here from the forums if in my neborhood regardless whos paying. its hard for me to travel across town tho with the family and crazy 2 yr old, sorry i couldent meet up with ya when you were in denver.

Also, I learned that there were more people there that I wanted to meet in person ( should have been reversed, also :) )

I know! I tried to hunt you down to meet you when I heard your name called out on one of the raffles- totally surprised someone else who probably thought I was a stalker following her around the entire room trying to catch her. :o

Well there's alway Geowoodstock next year...

We'll Need to make a point to see to it :D:D:)