An Orphan Travel Bug

Whimblo

I have just recently grabbed a travel bug out of a cache in Idaho that has been off the radar for about a year and a half. The bug was suppose to to stay in Huron County MI because it has a key to a cache there but the cache is gone now. The little guy is a bit off course and the owner appears to be not active any more. I was wondering if there was a way to adopt orphaned travel bugs or should I just release him?

Nope sorry, there's no way to adopt it. gc.com currently won't transfer ownership.

Give me a bit here. I want to research this bug and see if I can find a way back to the owner. Sometimes there's a caching buddy who knows them.

Thanks. I would like to get this guy back to the owner if possible.

Nope sorry, there's no way to adopt it. gc.com currently won't transfer ownership.

Question - Are travel bugs adoptable, or only geocoins?

Bugs too! :D

Thanks for the answer.

After I re-read my reply & then read yours... I became confused.

I wouldn't want to give out the wrong advice.

Yes, sorry. I should have said they won't do forced adoptions.

Okay, I have a note out to someone who may know the bug owner.

Thanks, Drew, BlueDeuce, for getting in touch with us.

Yes, my wife and I were good friends of Team US; Pat was from the thumb area of Michigan. Pat was an avid cacher, and also a heart transplant recipient of 11 or 12 years. Unfortunately, Pat passed away last year. I would suggest that you just send the TB on, in her honor. We thought that local cachers were maintaining Pat's caches, but it appears that they've now all been archived, which is sad because we had hoped that they'd remain active in Pat's memory. She loved geocaching, her grandchildren, and her life.

Heart recipients usually survive for 10 years after a heart transplant, so Pat always said she was living on borrowed time once she passed the 10 year mark. We miss her very much; she was a great person.

I hope this information helps you with your decision on what to do with Pat's TB, as there is no real answer.

Team CoyChev

Paris, MI

Edited by Team CoyChev

Yes, sorry. I should have said they won't do forced adoptions.

Okay, I have a note out to someone who may know the bug owner.

Thanks, Drew, BlueDeuce, for getting in touch with us.

Yes, my wife and I were good friends of Team US; Pat was from the thumb area of Michigan. Pat was an avid cacher, and also a heart transplant recipient of 11 or 12 years. Unfortunately, Pat passed away last year. I would suggest that you just send the TB on, in her honor. We thought that local cachers were maintaining Pat's caches, but it appears that they've now all been archived, which is sad because we had hoped that they'd remain active in Pat's memory. She loved geocaching, her grandchildren, and her life.

Heart recipients usually survive for 10 years after a heart transplant, so Pat always said she was living on borrowed time once she passed the 10 year mark. We miss her very much; she was a great person.

I hope this information helps you with your decision on what to do with Pat's TB, as there is no real answer.

Team CoyChev

Paris, MI

I'm sorry to hear that she has passed away. We will send this little guy on his way very shortly. Thank you all for your help in clearing this up.

Edited by Whimblo