Geocache Widows

lcandela123

I hope there are no geocache widows (although I suspect there are some!) It's such a great hobby for both men and women, and each one can get different types of enjoyment from it. In our husband/wife team, HE likes the technical aspects, buys the various electronic devices, and does all the loading up of caches on the GPS and Blackberry; SHE reads up on the caches and decides which ones to attempt. HE reaches up for the high ones, or for the ones hidden in Poison Ivy or scary holes; SHE writes up all the logs and chooses the swag and trade items to leave behind. BOTH love the outdoors, the adventure and fun of travelling to new places, the time spent together and memories WE share!

Two weeks ago, I introduced my sister and her husband to the joys of geocaching. He's already up to 73 finds! Have I created a geocache widow? Actually, I think sis is joining in the fun, but was wondering if such a thing exists as a geocache widow.

There are many geocaching widows and geocaching widowers as well

Geocaching is no different from other activities like golf, shopping, fishing, watching sports, etc. where one spouse may be really into it and the other isn't.

Around here there are quite a few geocache widowers. At big, weekend long events, the husbands stay down with some of the widows and play with the kids, help cook the food and other stuff while their wives are out climbing the side of a mountain in search of extreme caches.

Geocaching is addicting to both men and woman alike.

My spouse thinks I am obsessed but will often put up with me and sometimes admits caching can bring you to nice places, but as one famous cacher has observed, you can sometimes hear the Whine of the Non-Geocaching Spouse.

And then there are the "I would have loved to have gotten home earlier but you know how obsessed [insert appropriate name here] can be about finding one more cache" discussions.

My boyfriend and I broke up almost two years ago because he felt I spent too much time caching. We got back together almost a year ago under the condition that he would NEVER, EVER complain that I cached too much again. We've gotten along find since then and he even caches with me more now than he did then!

Besides, I call it even. He sits in front of the daggone television watching football 3-4 nights a week and Nascar. At least with my hobby, I get out of the house!

I dare say that not only has my husband become a widower, but my child is now comes from a single parent household :D

And the scout troop? They won't even consider letting me BRING the GPSr with me to any functions we have/go to. I think they're scared I'll make them go out again. It's not like I made them do a dozen caches on their first afternoon out. It was only 7.