How can you find challenge caches in your general area or state

RiffRaff2

In other words, I've used every search word I can think of and always get "No matches to your search". I stumbled on the "I-5 Challenge" by accident on a trip and from there found more of them, but I've also heard there are 'done at least one everyday' and delorme map challenge caches out there and I'd like to know if any are here or there...

Moderator: I scanned for over an hour to see if this had been asked and failed to find one. If it's already been done, feel free to move this note.

Thanks, RiffRaff2

In other words, I've used every search word I can think of and always get "No matches to your search". I stumbled on the "I-5 Challenge" by accident on a trip and from there found more of them, but I've also heard there are 'done at least one everyday' and delorme map challenge caches out there and I'd like to know if any are here or there...

Moderator: I scanned for over an hour to see if this had been asked and failed to find one. If it's already been done, feel free to move this note.

Thanks, RiffRaff2

+challenge +cache +(your search state) +(your search area)

Where I put (your search state), you would put the state of your choice as long as it is 5 characters and the same for (your search area)

Where I put (your search state), you would put the state of your choice as long as it is 5 characters and the same for (your search area)

Where would you input that to get the result? I could filter on state, or challenge but not both at the same time? Run a search on one then edit the URL?

Thanks, RiffRaff2

A pocket query for "difficulty 5" & "unknown" caches would probably help you find some challenge caches, then you can check for bookmarks on the pages of those caches, if you are lucky someone in your area might have created a bookmark of challenge caches.

Where would you input that to get the result? I could filter on state, or challenge but not both at the same time? Run a search on one then edit the URL?

In any search of the forums.

I apologize for being vague, or possibly not helpful.

In any search of the forums.

I apologize for being vague, or possibly not helpful.

I think the OP was trying to find the actual caches, not forum posts.

If you are after DeLorme or USGS quad challenges, then you could pull down my GSAK macro from here and run it in GSAK. I think I am missing just one DeLorme Challenge (let me know if you figure out which). When you process one of these, it creates an html page that has the link to the actual challenge cache so you can find each cache page that way.

On some of those challenge cache pages have bookmark lists that point to other challenge caches (but they are usually not complete).

Geocaching.com has a "advanced" search facility. But you need significantly more expertise than I have to get it to implement the searches suggested above. Searching there on just "Challenge" in names of "unknown caches" will get an amazing 1072 hits. I hope you enjoy browsing.

It really would make sense for this cache type to gain it's own category. Having folks able to find them would certainly be a positive aspect to geocaching as a whole.

Edited by Hynr

Thanks everyone. Lot's of information and some I hadn't thought of...

bittsen: we visited your town this summer and got a few caches. Thanks to your locals.

red-haired witch: Had not thought of a query. It will return many results that don't fit, but it might snag something for sure. The bookmarks on the caches we know about have been helpful.

Castle Mischief: Thanks for that. Yes, the caches. Searching the forums gives me a headache....

Jeepster++: Had not even dreamed of using Google for that. Always tried in Geocaching.com. I'll look into that.

Hynr: I agree with the 'advanced search'... I get some strange results with my intelligence. And thanks for the catagory idea. Unknown caches have many puzzles that I can't even get started on, but I look at unknowns because they can be neat containers, which is what I feel they should be...

GSAK filters can help surf threw the multitudes.

To give you all a hint, I saw the 'one a day' for ...whatever... in Washington, but didn't get close to it physically. We should have made more effort, cause for us, 61 days was easy. I had thought it was a year. Having returned to Arizona, I wanted to know if there was one here, or nearby, or somewhere we might go.

And many thanks to you all that jump in to help. I've seen many of your names in here many times.

Tom of RiffRaff2

If you're traveling in the U.S., my bookmark lists are a decent place to start. I haven't found a reliable way to search on GC.com itself, but with an amazing amount of willing help and emails, I've managed to keep them fairly up to date.

U.S. Challenge Caches: States A-M Bookmark List

U.S. Challenge Caches: States N-Z Bookmark List

Another thread has other bookmark lists: List of Challenge Type Caches

Best of luck!