Confused about multi-caches.

mutt&bob

I only take credit for a mutli-cache when I find the last stage of the group. Is this correct?? Or do you get credit for just finding the first stage? Could someone please clarify this for me? I may have been 'shorting' myself.

Personally, I think you should get a smiley for every "cache" you find in a multi. I don't see the point in making someone find multiple "caches" and then only get one smiley for it.

I understand that my opinion is not a popular one though.

So, you only get one smiley for one of the stages....the last one.

(but at least a few people think you shouldn't get any smiley unless you find all the stages) For those people, apparantly each stage is a portion of a smiley and you can only collect your whole smiley once you get all the pieces of the smiley. Those people would have you believe that 7/8 of a smiley isn't good enough, even if you sign the logsheet.

I only take credit for a mutli-cache when I find the last stage of the group. Is this correct?? Or do you get credit for just finding the first stage? Could someone please clarify this for me? I may have been 'shorting' myself.

The word seems to be that regardless of how many stages or how many logs you sign, the multi cache itself is the "final stage" Therefore the only log you need to sign to claim your find is the one in the final stage.

Of course the only way to know you are actually at the final stage is to do the multi. Some owners may be kind and say "this is it, the last one, the final stage" on it just so you know. Everone else is just guessing they got it right when they short circuited it.

It's most common for people to log finds on multi only once they've found the final stage and signed the log.

The only way you can short yourself with a multi would be to get the final coords from someone and go directly to the end.

It depends on how the owner of the multi has set it up. The traditional type of multi has you followed clues in each stage till you get to the final cache. You generally only get on smiley when you log the Found It log to indicate you have completed all stages of the multicache. However a change to the guideline regarding what used to be called additional logging requirements has been interpreted by the majority of people in this forum, including a respected volunteer reviewer, as meaning that you only need to sign the physical log in the final stage of the cache to be able to log a "Found It" online.

Some cache owners may allow you to log additional smiley for each stage found. So far TPTB have not ruled against this practice. Most multis however count as one find when you complete the cache. Perhaps if TPTB begin to indicate that you can't require people to do all the stages, more people will set up their caches like this in order to encourage people to find all the stages. :ph34r:

Personally, I think you should get a smiley for every "cache" you find in a multi. I don't see the point in making someone find multiple "caches" and then only get one smiley for it.

(but at least a few people think you shouldn't get any smiley unless you find all the stages) For those people, apparantly each stage is a portion of a smiley and you can only collect your whole smiley once you get all the pieces of the smiley. Those people would have you believe that 7/8 of a smiley isn't good enough, even if you sign the logsheet.

You seem to be all about smilies.....

WHO CARES!!!!

Why would you want 8 smilies for an 8 stage multi? Because you want to brag about your numbers. Well, I know I personally would much rather do a well put together and challenging 8 stage multi than 8 LPCs. So you stick to your LPC and don't complain about multis :ph34r:

WHO CARES!!!!

Why would you want 8 smilies for an 8 stage multi? Because you want to brag about your numbers. Well, I know I personally would much rather do a well put together and challenging 8 stage multi than 8 LPCs. So you stick to your LPC and don't complain about multis :ph34r:

WOW, such a hostile post.

I log a cache online and get a smiley. Do you do it another way? Why do you have smileys? Didn't you get them from caching?

I don't understand where all the hostility came from.

Some cache owners may allow you to log additional smiley for each stage found

I don't mind if people place extra smilies in their log :ph34r::laughing::laughing: but so far I have not seen any multi set up as a single cache where you could log it more than once to get a find for each stage.

I do appreciate it where owners choose to set up multiple stages as single caches, with the "final" dependent on information you find at each cache. I have one that would require you to do a 15 mile hike with significant elevation gain, so it seemed fair to do it as a series. But if there is only one log there is only one smiley. Do people do it any other way?

WHO CARES!!!!

I log a cache online and get a smiley. Do you do it another way? Why do you have smileys? Didn't you get them from caching?

Didn't seem hostile to me, he was just calling you out. :laughing:

I don't mind if people place extra smilies in their log :ph34r::laughing::laughing: but so far I have not seen any multi set up as a single cache where you could log it more than once to get a find for each stage.

I do appreciate it where owners choose to set up multiple stages as single caches, with the "final" dependent on information you find at each cache. I have one that would require you to do a 15 mile hike with significant elevation gain, so it seemed fair to do it as a series. But if there is only one log there is only one smiley. Do people do it any other way?

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a6-27a3d6d10342

The only way you can short yourself with a multi would be to get the final coords from someone and go directly to the end.

Actually, one time I was out & about and turned on my GPS'er to see if there was anything close to me to find (I had 500 caches loaded into my eTrex Venture HC). I picked a nearby one, not knowing that it was a multicache. I got to GZ, looked around, said "there it is", and sure enough, I found a container with a log, signed it, and went home happy. It wasn't until I went to log my smiley online that I found out it was a rather involved multi. I have been congratulating myself on my amazing geosense ever since :D

WHO CARES!!!!

Why would you want 8 smilies for an 8 stage multi? Because you want to brag about your numbers. Well, I know I personally would much rather do a well put together and challenging 8 stage multi than 8 LPCs. So you stick to your LPC and don't complain about multis :D

:D

All that hostility?!? :D Uh..... I remember... oh, never mind.

Edited by knowschad

You never know what you're going to get when you do a multi-cache. I did a six-staged multi that eventually took me to the final, but what was different about this one was that each stage had a number written on it, and those numbers were part of the coordinates of a puzzle cache placed by the same person that hid the multi-cache. Once I figured out where the numbers went into the coordinates, it took me to the puzzle cache and I logged another Smiley. Yeah, it was a bit of work for two Smileys, but it was a whole lot of fun trying to find all the stages. :D

Edited by rocketsteve
I don't mind if people place extra smilies in their log :D:D:D but so far I have not seen any multi set up as a single cache where you could log it more than once to get a find for each stage.

Some people have placed numerous caches and have been refused listing due to the 'power trail' guideline. It was suggested to them to instead submit them as a multi. Some of these people may certainly allow a smiley per stage, since they envisioned them as individual caches originally.

WHO CARES!!!!

Why would you want 8 smilies for an 8 stage multi? Because you want to brag about your numbers. Well, I know I personally would much rather do a well put together and challenging 8 stage multi than 8 LPCs. So you stick to your LPC and don't complain about multis ;)

Didn't seem hostile to me, he was just calling you out. :)
Interesting take on his post.

I though that he was being ironic since his angst over bittsen's post actually showed him to be quite 'about the numbers'. It was like he was getting mad at bittsen because he wasn't able to compete with him on an even field. Luckily, most of us are not about competition in this game and therefore were unaffected by bittsen's post.

Edited by sbell111