Updating your finds on the Web

CrazyCars

Hi All

I am a newbie in the Geocaching game and it has me addicted already. What I have found a problem though is othercachers not updating their finds on the webb. As a newbie I am desperate to find my 1st travel bug. I keep looking for the ones that are supposed to have them in, to find they have already been found and no one logged them out. Sometimes they are entred into the cache log book but not online, very frustrating. :D

Edited by CrazyCars

Yep - unfortunately you are going to find that happens a lot. More in some countries than others, but all over the world generally. It is rather disappointing to arrive at a cache that has a TB or coin indicated only to find it not there. What can one do about it? Not much am afraid - apart from setting a good example and doing th eright thing yourself by logging YOUR finds out of a cache.

Welcome to the wonderful world of geocaching and hope that you have many, many finds in the future.

Happy caching.

This is a common problem across the world. :ph34r:

If cachers can email me links to missing travellers, I'll clean up where I can.

We need to be careful though, sometimes travellers are logged quite late, especially if picked up by a visitor on holiday.

So, it's best to wait for a few weeks before assuming that it's gone.

Yep - unfortunately you are going to find that happens a lot. More in some countries than others, but all over the world generally. It is rather disappointing to arrive at a cache that has a TB or coin indicated only to find it not there. What can one do about it? Not much am afraid - apart from setting a good example and doing th eright thing yourself by logging YOUR finds out of a cache.

Welcome to the wonderful world of geocaching and hope that you have many, many finds in the future.

Happy caching.

Sometimes what I do is when I drop a coin/bug into a cache is to put that cache on my "watch list" then if I notice that the person has written in their logs that they retrieved the coin/bug but not logged it into their inventory then I send them a curtious reminder. I do find that usually within a couple of finds the coin/bug has moved on then remove it from my "watchlist" I know this is not my problem and is a little extra work but I dont mind doing it and sometimes find reading the finders logs interesting. Once when I mailed the only other cacher to have been at the cache between the coin drop and myself visiting I got no reply but the other visitor proceeded to edit their log (as is noticible from the dates where it says "edited on......") to look as if he was there the day before the coin was dropped......... funny the muggle must only have taken one of the several coins in the cache.

I usually write in my logs that the bug/coin is missing if it is not there and usually find that many others do this too. I have stopped dropping bugs/coins into "easier to be muggled caches" and rather drop them in less likely to be muggled caches.

Edited by malo mystery