GSAK

After my previous success with the TT maps question I thought I would test you all again :D

I have just got my premium membership - should I get GSAK or should I just stick with the GC PQs?

Thanks

Chris

Depends on what you want to do with your PQ...

I used to use a pda, so used GSAK to output memory map overlays which I then uploaded to my pda.

Now I've got an Oregon, and to be honest, I haven't used GSAK since I got it.

After my previous success with the TT maps question I thought I would test you all again :D

I have just got my premium membership - should I get GSAK or should I just stick with the GC PQs?

As you have an Oregon 300 you could just drop the required PQs (GPX files from the zip) into the Oregon and it will work fine. It will only store up to 2,000 caches at a time.

However, I also use GSAK as it allows me to not only store 1,000s of cache details, but also produce wonderful statistics and also only upload groups of caches I want directly to my Oregon 200. It really is the Swiss Army Knife of caching tools; well worth the money to pay for it.

For instance all found and owned caches are exported to my Oregon 200 as POIs rather than as caches in GPX format; this saves space for caches I haven't yet found.

Have a look at my profile if you want to see the sort of statistics you can produce via GSAK (actually one of the many macros).

Hope this helps?

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

It's up to you. If you want to alter your PQ's then GSAK is the tool. You can customize the results. For example you can have the title show the type of cache/size/difficulty/terrain and GCID depending on how many characters you have on available on your GPSr. You can also put the hint on some units. Some like the addition to see more than 5 logs if they cache paperless.

I like it because it is easy to load the different type of GPSr units that I have.

If you only need the PQ and that's all you need then GSAK might not be for you.

I have an Oregon, and still use GSAK quite alot.

1. During the week, I'm normally wearing a suit, so filter out higher terrain ratings so that I'm more likely to be able to attempt a cache if I pass one.

2. I only put puzzle caches into GSAK once I've solved them (I have a bookmark of solved puzzles and run a weekly PQ of them), and I can then adjust the coords. Then if I'm out and about and see a puzzle on my unit, I've either solved it and have the final coords ready, or it's one you need to solve on the ground. Either way it helps.

3. Like others, I run several PQ's a couple of times a week (10 to be precise) to cover an area centred around where I live. Sometimes I know I'm "going north" or going to be in a particular area so I can tailor what I send to the Oregon to where I'm going to be.

I very rarely get a PQ and drop it straight onto the unit.

And of course there are the stats :-)