Bad spelling on cache pages

Maybe Groundspeak should come up with a new volunteer position--Volunteer Grammatical Reviewer. The person would have to have access to edit each cache page. Can I volunteer for that job? :ph34r:

I'm sure your intentions are honorable, but we actually spell things differently.

I think one of things we are actually talking about is the "Americanisms" that are creeping into our culture.

Like Colour, Honour, Centre, Favourite, Metres and Aluminium

I also agree with TDW - This sort of subject just brings out the trolls that seem to sit in this forum. The number of events I go to and people say "Well, I don't bother reading the forum. It's full of old f@rts who constantly troll"

You could argue that by replying to threads like this, I've become one of them.

I do try and use good grammar and spelling, but I also appreciate that there are people in the world who can't spell quite as well and they lead perfectly good lives with perfectly good jobs.

I think that the quality of the actual caches is far more important than what's written on the actual page. I've seen some awful caches with tomes written well, lots of information about the local area and history.

I've also seen some brilliant caches which have very little. A single line with no information in some cases.

Crooks Peak is one of my favourite ever caches. The cache needs no description. Go up, have a look and you'll know exactly what I mean!

I don't discount caches on the basis of poor spelling, typing or grammar but in my opinion, if you can't spell cache correctly, you should pick another hobby with a name you can spell ( :ph34r: .

Another excuse for poor spelling and grammar is the increase in people for whom English is their second language. I can guarantee that their English spelling and grammar is far better than anything I could do in a foreign language though!

Can't bear txt in anything other than a text mind you. It makes me want to gouge my eyes out with a rusty spoon.

Maybe Groundspeak should come up with a new volunteer position--Volunteer Grammatical Reviewer. The person would have to have access to edit each cache page. Can I volunteer for that job? :ph34r:

I'm sure your intentions are honorable, but we actually spell things differently.

I think one of things we are actually talking about is the "Americanisms" that are creeping into our culture.

I also agree with TDW - This sort of subject just brings out the trolls that seem to sit in this forum. The number of events I go to and people say "Well, I don't bother reading the forum. It's full of old f@rts who constantly troll"

I do try and use good grammar and spelling, but I also appreciate that there are people in the world who can't spell quite as well and they lead perfectly good lives with perfectly good jobs.

I think that the quality of the actual caches is far more important than what's written on the actual page. I've seen some awful caches with tomes written well, lots of information about the local area and history.

I've also seen some brilliant caches which have very little. A single line with no information in some cases.

Crooks Peak is one of my favourite ever caches. The cache needs no description. Go up, have a look and you'll know exactly what I mean!

My British Friends,

Please help me understand: Americanisms creeping into your culture.

I seem to recall a band back in the '60's called the Beatles. Big hit here, and shortly thereafter, all the young men quit cutting their hair. Personally, I liked the Dave Clark Five much better. Is this the same thing?

My British Friends,

Please help me understand: Americanisms creeping into your culture.

I seem to recall a band back in the '60's called the Beatles. Big hit here, and shortly thereafter, all the young men quit cutting their hair. Personally, I liked the Dave Clark Five much better. Is this the same thing?

...maybe so, but it was the best I could come up with! Lets take a different hypothetical situation of looking for a good plumber! I could examine all their CVs and ask them to produce an essay on how to replace a radiator in a closed heating system, but it probably wouldn't mean much, and I'd rather get recommendations and see some examples of their work instead! I don't expect my plumber to have good English skills (or any other language skills in this day and age!) :ph34r:

That's perfectly reasonable, but if you've only got the CVs to go on you're likely to go for one of the ones that you can easily understand. No guarantee that the plumber is any good, of course, any more than a well-written description guarantees a good cache.

My point was simple. All else being equal, it discourages visitors if your cache description is difficult to read; and you have to expect them to assume that the cache is as poor as the description.

I can just about get by in French, but if I wrote a cache description in French I'd be well aware that it might be full of mistakes. So I'd get a language expert to read it and suggest amendments (a friendly French cacher?). Even if I had to pay for a corrected translation. If I've gone to some trouble to place what I consider a good cache I want to make sure the description reflects this by being clear and readable.

I have literally skipped over bids and proposals that I've received stricly based on the ability of the person to put together a coherent sentence. I could understand the English issues if it were the laborers doing it, but not the sales people, such as in construction terms.

I don't think it has to do with education, though. Perhaps a small part of it, yes. But I think a lot of people are just lazy. I've met a few of these cachers and they don't seem illiterate. In fact one of our local cachers, who is still young, is in a magnet school and wants to become an aeronautical engineer; yet he doesn't capitalize his letters, he doesn't put a space between the period and the next sentence, and as it was pointed out to me by another cacher, he doesn't know how to spell "experience." For someone that chalks himself up to be a brainiac, he must have missed English class.

I have literally skipped over bids and proposals that I've received stricly based on the ability of the person to put together a coherent sentence. I could understand the English issues if it were the laborers doing it, but not the sales people, such as in construction terms.

I don't think it has to do with education, though. Perhaps a small part of it, yes. But I think a lot of people are just lazy. I've met a few of these cachers and they don't seem illiterate. In fact one of our local cachers, who is still young, is in a magnet school and wants to become an aeronautical engineer; yet he doesn't capitalize his letters, he doesn't put a space between the period and the next sentence, and as it was pointed out to me by another cacher, he doesn't know how to spell "experience." For someone that chalks himself up to be a brainiac, he must have missed English class.

What is a period? :ph34r:

...maybe so, but it was the best I could come up with! Lets take a different hypothetical situation of looking for a good plumber! I could examine all their CVs and ask them to produce an essay on how to replace a radiator in a closed heating system, but it probably wouldn't mean much, and I'd rather get recommendations and see some examples of their work instead! I don't expect my plumber to have good English skills (or any other language skills in this day and age!) :ph34r:

My point was simple. All else being equal, it discourages visitors if your cache description is difficult to read; and you have to expect them to assume that the cache is as poor as the description.

yeah OK, I'll let you have that point! In the absence of anything else with which to guide me as to whether I want to do cache A or B, I will resort to the description! :laughing: Even so, it would be content first, and then writing ability!

Write, :laughing: I really must get on with some work!

...maybe so, but it was the best I could come up with! Lets take a different hypothetical situation of looking for a good plumber! I could examine all their CVs and ask them to produce an essay on how to replace a radiator in a closed heating system, but it probably wouldn't mean much, and I'd rather get recommendations and see some examples of their work instead! I don't expect my plumber to have good English skills (or any other language skills in this day and age!) :laughing:

yeah OK, I'll let you have that point! In the absence of anything else with which to guide me as to whether I want to do cache A or B, I will resort to the description! :anibad: Even so, it would be content first, and then writing ability!

Write, :laughing: I really must get on with some work!

So is your break period over? :ph34r:

...maybe so, but it was the best I could come up with! Lets take a different hypothetical situation of looking for a good plumber! I could examine all their CVs and ask them to produce an essay on how to replace a radiator in a closed heating system, but it probably wouldn't mean much, and I'd rather get recommendations and see some examples of their work instead! I don't expect my plumber to have good English skills (or any other language skills in this day and age!) :laughing:

yeah OK, I'll let you have that point! In the absence of anything else with which to guide me as to whether I want to do cache A or B, I will resort to the description! :D Even so, it would be content first, and then writing ability!

Write, :anibad: I really must get on with some work!

So is your break period over? :ph34r:

you don't think Mary has time to play on the forums do you?! :laughing:

Dave

“The Other Stu” has nicely illustrated the point I was making.

He complains about the "Americanisms" that are creeping into our culture ….. aluminium.

Sir Humphrey Davey (British) first described the element as Aluminum (no i). A decade or so later um endings were old fashioned and the new trendy ium endings were all the rage so some people changed it. The Americans held on to the traditional, British spelling!!

Now almost 200 years later people are complaining about the reintroduction of the original, correct, British spelling!!!!

Today’s Chemists are taught sulfur, last year it was sulphur! Similar complaints about “Americanisms” but Latin has sulphur, sulfur and even sulpur,

My point is people are generally comfortable with the spelling and grammar they grow up with. Language constantly evolves. Technology is letting it evolve faster and inevitably some people get left behind. They are happier with the styles, words and content of the day. The meaning is much more important than the style of delivery (assuming no ambiguity).

Yawn Yawn....Another old thread wheeled out to encourage flamings. :ph34r:

Quite agree

Flipping Micros

#@#' Power Trails

and now bad spelling & grammar.

What's next, 'you have the wrong coloured GPS' or the 'wrong coloured walking boots'

Repeat after me 'It's only a game' buttfacesign.gif

Edited by DrDick&Vick

Yawn Yawn....Another old thread wheeled out to encourage flamings. :laughing:

Quite agree

Flipping Micros

#@#' Power Trails

What's next, 'you have the wrong coloured GPS' or the 'wrong coloured walking boots'

Repeat after me 'It's only a game' :ph34r::laughing:

*nudges, you missed the part where people 'need' 250 finds 'at least' to place a cache*

:anibad:

...Sir Humphrey Davey (British) first described the element as Aluminum (no i). A decade or so later um endings were old fashioned and the new trendy ium endings were all the rage so some people changed it. The Americans held on to the traditional, British spelling!!...

At the risk of placing myself into the "old f@rts" pigeonhole, may I just point out that he was Sir Humphry Davy and, just to emphasise/emphasize* a point that some consider to be very important, he was Cornish.

Thank you.

Right, carry on with the previously scheduled** thread...

MrsB :laughing::ph34r::laughing:

* Please view whichever spelling you prefer.

**Please use whichever pronunciation you prefer.

Edited by The Blorenges

Yawn Yawn....Another old thread wheeled out to encourage flamings. :laughing:

Quite agree

Flipping Micros

#@#' Power Trails

Repeat after me 'It's only a game' :ph34r::laughing:

*nudges, you missed the part where people 'need' 250 finds 'at least' to place a cache*

:anibad:

Yup (oh sorry that's not really good grammar is it) I missed that and many more.

Now I will get struck by lightening.gif

...Sir Humphrey Davey (British) first described the element as Aluminum (no i). A decade or so later um endings were old fashioned and the new trendy ium endings were all the rage so some people changed it. The Americans held on to the traditional, British spelling!!...

At the risk of placing myself into the "old f@rts" pigeonhole, may I just point out that he was Sir Humphry Davy and, just to emphasise/emphasize* a point that some consider to be very important, he was Cornish.

Thank you.

Right, carry on with the previously scheduled** thread...

MrsB :laughing::ph34r::laughing:

* Please view whichever spelling you prefer.

**Please use whichever pronunciation you prefer.

Irony of ironies I typed Humphry and my spellchecker (English UK) changed it to Humphrey!

Edited by Bland by name

its a full stop, comes after a sentence, or is that an appeal :laughing:

its a full stop, comes after a sentence, or is that an appeal :laughing:

I was going to "dis" the Munkeh for his bad spelling of his own pseudonym. But then I found that the word "Munkeh" is #5 on a Google search.

So....Respect!

:laughing:

I'm pretty sure it's diss, with 2 x s

if you wanna take a man down homez, make sure you do it properly (perhaps dedicate a cache to it?)

peace out, aight!

I was going to "dis" the Munkeh for his bad spelling of his own pseudonym. But then I found that the word "Munkeh" is #5 on a Google search.

So....Respect!

:D

if you wanna take a man down homez, make sure you do it properly (perhaps dedicate a cache to it?)

peace out, aight!

Should it not be dis' as in disrespectful?

So....Respect!

peace out, aight!

Should it not be dis' as in disrespectful?

Diss

We wouldn't want to fall foul of the lexicographers.

I don’t mind (Buck) if the cache description has bad grammar or have incorrectly spelt words as I would probably not spot the errors in the first place. :D

I am educated, but I don’t do spelling….Some can some can’t…. I could never understand the magic world of English, but Maths & Science YES. :D

Edited by t.a.folk

my cache pages all have bad spelling on them but being dislesic it dosnt help me i can read a word and to me its right, but not to everyone else i find i can write a whole log and spell the same word three diffrent ways every time i rite it.

i wrote my cv my self and none of my employers have ever said it would be a problem though they have all noticed my bad spelling. no amount of studdying will improve this its just the way i am!!!!!! so unless you wanna go through all my pages then just live with it at lease you dont have to live with all the extra things dislxia comes with.

lmn

my cache pages all have bad spelling on them but being dislesic it dosnt help me i can read a word and to me its right, but not to everyone else i find i can write a whole log and spell the same word three diffrent ways every time i rite it.

i wrote my cv my self and none of my employers have ever said it would be a problem though they have all noticed my bad spelling. no amount of studdying will improve this its just the way i am!!!!!! so unless you wanna go through all my pages then just live with it at lease you dont have to live with all the extra things dislxia comes with.

lmn

Well said Sam, a big hug from me (and Charlie)

lmn

I don't think anyone would underestimate how difficult it must be to live with dyslexia. I certainly don’t. There's far more to it than bad spelling and lots of people don't understand the condition. I lived with a dyslexic friend for 3 years and it was an eye opener for me how difficult it could be for her to cope with every day things.

But at the end of the day, whether you are dyslexic or not, it takes seconds to run your text through a grammar and spell checker. Lots of non-dyslexics do it (me included!)

But a spell checker will only pick up on words which are spelt incorrectly, being dyslexic it is very difficult to distingush between correctly spelt words e.g. weather and whether which are spelt correctly but have completely different meanings

I still think it's better than nothing though.

I'm not so bothered by bad spelling - I suffer from dyswordia (it's slightly like dyslexia, but it's a different handicap; I occasionally type a completely different word from the one I intended, so although it's all well spelt and grammatical, it can sometimes mean the opposite of what I intended). It's a rare condition, and so far unrecognised by people who give out handouts to handicapped people.

But I would like to put in a plea for cache setters to be accurate in what they say.

For example; if you say "the cache is to the left of the tree" then that really helps not at all, because it depends which way I'm facing.

And there's a difference between a fallen tree and a felled tree.

And an awful lot of trees lean to some extent, so "leaning tree" is very ambiguous.

The word "near" could mean almost anything, whereas "about four feet away" is a lot more useful.

And so on. A useful test is to re-read what you wrote, but from the point of view of someone who doesn't know the cache.

But a spell checker will only pick up on words which are spelt incorrectly, being dyslexic it is very difficult to distingush between correctly spelt words e.g. weather and whether which are spelt correctly but have completely different meanings

mouse mentioned grammar checker, and for example Microsoft Word knows exactly how to deal with the following sentence which I think is really clever:

I wonder weather the whether is good

and suggests the correct spelling of each wrong word. Spelling/grammar tools are available to perfect cache page text, but in my personal opinion it's not the end of the world as long as you can get the gist of what the cache page is trying to say.

If anyone really needs to complain about the text on a cache page, email the cache page setter and offer them a free re-write. If the suggestion was that the mods could do it, do it yourself and cut out the middle man.

If anyone really needs to complain about the text on a cache page, email the cache page setter and offer them a free re-write. If the suggestion was that the mods could do it, do it yourself and cut out the middle man.

The trouble is, that however well meaning you are (or whether you're a regular cacher or a moderator), offering to correct someone's spelling is gonna sound patronising. :D

I think that as long the owner has made every effort to write up a cache page as well as they possibly can, then that is probably sufficient. This might mean using a spell checker or asking a friend to give your cache page a read through first. But people need to take ownership of this themselves and take a bit of pride over their cache pages!

What bugs me is when bad spelling and grammar is obviously the result of laziness - I just don't see an excuse for that. I may be generalising, but to me a lack of care on a cache page often means a lack of care over the hide too.

If you have dyslexia then obviously this is different, but most people with common sense can distinguish between the two situations.

Edited by *mouse*

What bugs me is when bad spelling and grammar is obviously the result of laziness

can yoo pleese explane how it is layzee to spell things inccorectlee? dos it take moor efort too spell things wright than it dos too spell them rong?

My spelling & grammar is pretty reasonable, certainly good enough to be able to recognise when I'm not sure of a particular usage so that I can then go and check a dictionary in order to avoid embarrassment (good example!), however someone who has inherently poor spelling is probably not going to recognise their poor spelling and won't know when they need to check it.

Personally I think sticking everything through a spelling/grammar checker is pretty lazy and is just abdicating responsibility to the software and expecting some programmer to do all the work for you. Also this presupposes that the person writing the piece in the first place is using a system with such features available, and that they have the technical knowledge to enable them and use them correctly, which is not always the case.

The trouble is, that however well meaning you are (or whether you're a regular cacher or a moderator), offering to correct someone's spelling is gonna sound patronising. :D

I think that as long the owner has made every effort to write up a cache page as well as they possibly can, then that is probably sufficient. This might mean using a spell checker or asking a friend to give your cache page a read through first. But people need to take ownership of this themselves and take a bit of pride over their cache pages!

What bugs me is when bad spelling and grammar is obviously the result of laziness - I just don't see an excuse for that. I may be generalising, but to me a lack of care on a cache page often means a lack of care over the hide too.

If you have dyslexia then obviously this is different, but most people with common sense can distinguish between the two situations.

I really am not sure it would come across as patronising. Probably less embarrassing than having your spelling and grammar as a topic on a forum.

People have lots of reasons for having poor word skills and to be perfectly honest I think this thread shows a lack of disrespect for them.

It's not just things like dyslexia (depending on the severity spelling and grammar tools may not be helpful) , there are many other reasons. One of these is laziness. Then we have things like brain injury or depression which may severely affect the ability to concentrate when using a computer monitor.

Other people may have had a poor education for whatever reason (I missed a year of primary school myself), they may have just enough computer skills to navigate their way around to list a cache but not enough to write it in a Word processor and then transfer it to the cache page. I know of at least one cacher who was a regular contributor to this forum who never got the hang of cut and paste.

Yes, it would be nice if all cache pages were beautifully written creations, this however is the real world where peoples skill levels have many different levels

By nature we will make judgements when we see such pages, avoid those caches if you wish, Every now and again though you may find that your missing out on a cache that's been placed by someone who really does know a lovely place to visit and has placed an ammo can where others with fantastic word skill may have placed a micro.

I suffer with dyslexia but I try not to use it has an excuse.

I do use a spell checker and I also ask wifey to read my cache pages before I send them for review.

Just remember, I may get all the right letters but not always in the right order. :D

I think its funny that people who use a computer to gain information to do the hobby they enjoy are complaining about spelling and gramer on a website forum when I feel its the computer that has killed the art of spelling and grammer by people relying on spell checkers and no longer using pen and paper.

I am a gardener for gods sake and I have to use a comptuer every day and when I send emails they are all spell checked first. I have a dictionary somewhere in the house but I can't tell you the last time I used it.

I don't have any A levels or a degree but I can use a GPS and a map. I can even use a compass!!! :wacko:

P.S Wife checked this before posting. :rolleyes:

I suffer with dyslexia but I try not to use it has an excuse.

I do use a spell checker and I also ask wifey to read my cache pages before I send them for review.

Just remember, I may get all the right letters but not always in the right order. :D

I think its funny that people who use a computer to gain information to do the hobby they enjoy are complaining about spelling and gramer on a website forum when I feel its the computer that has killed the art of spelling and grammer by people relying on spell checkers and no longer using pen and paper.

I am a gardener for gods sake and I have to use a comptuer every day and when I send emails they are all spell checked first. I have a dictionary somewhere in the house but I can't tell you the last time I used it.

I don't have any A levels or a degree but I can use a GPS and a map. I can even use a compass!!! :D

P.S Wife checked this before posting. :D

Great post Yorkie

A lot has been said here.

There is a big difference between poor spelling/grammar and dyslexia.

I personally hate to read sloppy writings, and yes that is what poor spelling/grammar comes down too, sloppiness.

But this is not always the writers fault, having brought up 4 children; I have seen how the education system has changed over the years, so that now the emphasis is not on spelling and grammar. Teachers are taught not to correct all spelling mistakes, as this can dishearten the students, as long as the message is understandable.

One person here said about writing cache descriptions in Latin, well I now live in Finland, and recently there was a cache posted that is all in Latin, and yes it is a mystery cache.

There is also another mystery cache that is using spelling mistakes in cache logs for the cache location coordinate clues.

So you see this is not just restricted to the UK. :laughing:

Being a foreigner, and not 100% fluent in Finnish I do not always read all of the descriptions, as a lot are only in Finnish, but that does not stop me from enjoying this hobby.

Yes bad spelling and grammar are horrible, and as for Americanisms let’s not even go down that road. :D

Peace and Happy Caching.

[Edited to correct some, but not all, grammatical mistakes]

Edited by Nosfera

One person here said about writing cache descriptions in Latin, well I now live in Finland, and recently there was a cache posted that is all in Latin, and yes it is a mystery cache.

That sounds familiar. Greek seems to be the popular language here! (he knows who I am talking about!) :D

:mad::D:D:laughing:

That sounds familiar. Greek seems to be the popular language here! (he knows who I am talking about!) :)

But more importantly is the following question.

Whats's a Greek urn/earn/Ern ??

:)

English is an evolving language spellings have differed over the centuries somtimes the way we spell words has changed very rapidly, most of these changes have probably happened through someones spelling mistake so can all those who insist on words being spelt in a particular way come of there high horses and let the english language continue to evolve as it always has, do we realy have to have a fixed language ?

I refuse to worry about other peoples spellings and diction as long as it readable what is the big problem.

I sugest those with a problem with the way others spell words read some Shakespear or Chaucer before the judge others.

I make no appoligies for my bad grammer or any spelling mistakes

Bad grammer and speling: may be an annoyance to those, of you who have a degree. with "honurs in the subject, but then your intelagence' shud also come with patients for those who are trying there best.

Some of you have been brought up by clever parents, posh schools, but not all of us have come from such luxurious surroundings.

Dyslexia, learning difficulties, bad upbringing, somebody who always bunked off school, or those of us who just cannot grasp the subject - if these people are trying their best to join in the game (yes its just a game), then should we not be congratulating and encouraging them on doing a page and hiding a cache they must be most proud of, rather than putting them down?

Then there are some of us who just make silly typo's, forget and use text language or don't know when to use Capital letters in the right place!!

Apoligies for my poor speling and misteaks.

Edicashun aint like wot it used to be!

perth pathfinders (with no capitals!!)

Damnant quod non intellegunt

Edited by perth pathfinders

and of course some of us are not perfect like the people who are doing the moaning.

Get a life folks and just live with it or simply use the HUMAN filter in which ever wonderful programe you use for geocaching and just dont look for the caches with any spelling mistakes.

At the rate we are going there will be people out there who will only be going out to look for pristine condition ammo boxes that have cache pages compiled and checked by a Cambridge Graduate who has a degree in English Language and also require a 5 mile hike to find. Could be a very boring world for them.

Do excuse me as I shall now go and find a few caches, any size and with an adequate cache page.

Edited by DrDick&Vick