What containers do you enjoy finding.

Bmxer11

micro, micro, micro,

Oh wait! What? this isn't the weekly micro bashing thread?

Oh sorry. Then I'll have to say ammo box.

Large lock and locks are good.

Nothing more satisfying than a large box at the end of a hunt.

Location is more important than the box though. I want a big box in a great spot.

I want to see historical sites I didn't know about.

I want to see great places with great views.

I want to see public art, and out of the way places that were hidden to me before.

I know, I ask for a lot.

Make it memorable. Make it a great spot.

Remember the motto of Groundspeak: "the language of location"

What is it that you have to say?

I want to hide a really great cache, but i am taking a poll to see what kind of container i should hide. I want to make this the most memorable cache yet.

A.) ammo can

B.) lock n' lock

C.) tupperware

D.) other( please state what kind)

Give me a 35mm film cannister[black and grey] with a soupy log and i'm happy as a bug in a rug!

-

seriously i love ammo cans!

I want to hide a really great cache, but i am taking a poll to see what kind of container i should hide.
Where are you hiding it? Without knowing where you're hiding it, it's hard to say what the best kind of container would be.

Yup.

Without knowing some specifics about the hide location, this is nothing but another micro bash thread.

I want to hide a really great cache, but i am taking a poll to see what kind of container i should hide. I want to make this the most memorable cache yet.

A.) ammo can

B.) lock n' lock

C.) tupperware

"make this the most memorable cache yet."

Compared to what?

We enjoy finding most any container type except urban micros or micros stuck in a pile of identical looking rocks or any nano anywhere.

In fact The Team never hunts for micros unless we are out with our Geohoe buddy and even then we let him find the thing, we just log 'em. :D

You might even say that micros are The Team's least favo container type. :laughing:

Edited by Team Cotati

I don't care much about the container. It's more about the location to me. All I ask is that the the container

is good enough to protect the contents.

That said, there is something about the clunk of an ammo box as you remove it from its hiding place and the sucking sound when you open it that says geocaching to me.

Ammo can the bigger the better. I had two MK-19 ammo cans out until they were destroyed. One by the forest service clearing habitat for the red cockaded woodpecker, they were nice enough to leave a note in the log that they did it and were sorry. The other one some one broke the lid, not sure how much BSI (Brute Strength and Ignorance) you have to use to break the latch on a MK-19 ammo can but they did.

The type of container is probably the last thing I'm concerned about when caching. When we pick caches to do, we look at the location on the map and decide if it's one we want to find.

As Brian said, there is something special about the clankity, clank, clank that an ammo can makes when it's pulled out from underneath a rock and the latch is flipped up. The echo through the forest is a great sound.

A.) ammo can

B.) lock n' lock

C.) tupperware

Ammo cans are always good. They make me smile.

However any container that can hold swag and keeps the contents dry is good.

What locations bother you most?

Boring locations.

Locations where I wonder why the heck somebody brought me here. Locations that make me think someone stuck a pin in a map of town that had no cache, and then went and put a cache there. I think there might be a reason nobody has put a cache there. ...it is boring.

I'm not an urban cacher. I'm a bush cacher. Show me a new gully or mountain or view or some neck of the woods I haven't seen yet. Make me walk/climb/bush-bash/wade/jump etc.

I like a cache where my GPS screen has a chest/trunk symbol, and an arrow moving towards it, trailing a dotted line. Nothing else: no roads or landmarks to navigate by. No maps or google-products will help. Navigation by a blip on a screen: perfect.

Oh, and the original question: What container do I like? I'd have to say Systema - the Aussie equivalent to the American Lock&Lock

Although a recent find was a tin disguised as a cigarette packet. (It may have contained ciggies originally) It looked like garbage just lying between concrete supports, where a bit of rubbish could easily be.

D-all of the above. For me it's about the adventure of the journey to the cache more than the actual find. As long as it's an appropriate container for the location, and you have put some thought into the location, and it keeps the log dry I will be happy. Heck, get two of those three and I'll be happy.

Dry. I prefer dry containers with logs that I can sign.

As long as they are listed correctly, beyond that I don't really care. I may not be looking for micros in May, but I might hunt them in October. Generally speaking I do like finding containers that either contain trackable items or are big enough to accommodate trackables. This goes double when I'm out of state because I enjoy moving and picking up trackables and then giving them a mileage boost.

I'm still new to this. I heard about it a while ago, but just decided to check into it last Sunday. So far I have found 5 this week. 2 decons, 2 micros, and one virtual. I have my two boys with me and for them they really enjoy finding a "treasure". For me it's about the log and putting my finds online. I myself have already put two out and am waiting for them to be reviewed. I went for a traditional cache so if someone else coming along with kiddos, it can be enjoyed by all. As far as the choices, the ammo can will probably stand the test of time better than the others. I had to use lock-n-lock boxes. Hubby wouldn't give up an ammo can for anything, so I raided the kitchen!! It's all up to what you have available and your personal preference as far as I can tell.

I don't care much about the container. It's more about the location to me. All I ask is that the the container

is good enough to protect the contents.

That said, there is something about the clunk of an ammo box as you remove it from its hiding place and the sucking sound when you open it that says geocaching to me.

Same here, as long as the container protects whatever you mean to have in there, is in a well thought-out location and is generally interesting they are all good from the smallest container to the largest.

Just love that sound also, it says "contents in there are well protected and anything I choose to put in there will also be protected"!

Typically one of two things can make a cache memorable: a great location, or a creative container.

A third thing that can make it memorable is for it to be a challenge or great adventure, but you don't seem to be asking about this.

An ammo box or a lock and lock does not make it memorable. Either of these in a great location, or scenic view is memorable.

If you don't have a great location handy, then try to come up with a new way to hide it. There are plenty of examples of creative containers in the creative containers thread.