Fake geocoins on ebay

Matt_B_Good

..."What is a Geocoin?

A geocoin is a special coin created by individuals or groups of geocachers as a kind of signature item or calling card. ...

I culled the larger defintion to get back to basics. It's fair to add that some coins only relationship to caching is that they are tracked on this site (or others). Metal TB's would be a more accurate term for those commercial coins but most geocoin collectors are happy to collect them and call them geocoins so they have their place in the geocoin enthusiast community.

At the end of the day it's the larger community that decides what is and isn't a geocoin. I'm at one end and think commerical tripe is merely trackable metal TB's. You are at the other saying "if it aint tracked it aint crap". The larger community is the middle.

One good thing came out of all this you did inspire my next non trackable redneck edition coin made from 100% genuine washer blanks and painted to flawed perfection. You even inspired the name. You should head on over to that thread read up and send in your guess. Your first instinct on the name is probably the right one. Then you can sell it as a Token on eBay and a geocoin collector will probably bid a buck two eighty for it and add it to their geocoin collection and you all will be happy.

:ph34r: I would say so. Implants have bar codes.

Nevermind, I don't wanna know how you know that. :anibad:

Have you ever heard of a thing called "reading"? It's a pretty powerful tool :laughing:

I just look at the pictures... they tell me all I need to know... :laughing:

Edited by avroair

:ph34r: I would say so. Implants have bar codes.

Nevermind, I don't wanna know how you know that. :anibad:

Have you ever heard of a thing called "reading"? It's a pretty powerful tool :laughing:

I just look at the pictures... they tell me all I need to know... :laughing:

Ah young grasshopper..pictures can be deceiving.

Just remember... geocoins are not even coins, are not even tokens!!!!

I am speaking as a collector of coins and paper money (26 years of collecting!)!

I wondered when someone was going to add this bit to the discussion! My husband complained about the fact that they are called geocoins from the first time he saw one. Apparently, if it does not have a stated monetary value on it, it isn't a coin. (Bah! I like the sound of geocoin, so there!) :ph34r:

Someone forgot to tell the military they got it wrong with challenge coins. Plus what's a coin collector to do with these things. They didn't call them coins but did call them money.

currencycolor.jpg

Hmm... well... since they have a face value, you can say that it is a coin, and... depending the silver or gold content.... bullion coins! Instead of buying a silver round or a bar... you can take a coin like round! :laughing:

Liberty dollars are not legal tender, but private money! Some were taking them probably because they were made of silver or gold.... so... I will say thay are bullion pieces....

In USa there are many different bullion 1 oz round pieces, that look like coins and they are made in private mints or from companies to sell silver! Of course... there are some bullion official pieces, with face value of 1$ (so.. we can call them coins), the walking liberty ones! they are 1 oz of pure silver! But... who could give it in its face value???? Especially if you bought it more...or much more??? :laughing:

I will not name them fantasy coins, but fantasy coins exist too! Coins from non existing countries! these are mostly for tourists or for collectors who like such things! Some new collectors may get fooled with them....

I think I'm going to go to some forum of a hobby that I basically know nothing about and tell them they are doing things wrong. That should go over well. :ph34r:

Start with these guys ...

Bodybuilding_20gone_20wrong.jpg

Errr, wait, they ARE doing it wrong :laughing:

I was thinking of some wimpy hobby that I know nothing about. I think I'll pass on bodybuilders, pro wrestlers and the like! :laughing:

I think I'm going to go to some forum of a hobby that I basically know nothing about and tell them they are doing things wrong. That should go over well. :ph34r:

Start with these guys ...

Bodybuilding_20gone_20wrong.jpg

Errr, wait, they ARE doing it wrong :D

I think that just maybe they have those trackable silicone implants too!!!! UGH :laughing::laughing::anibad:

I was looking on boobies.com for boobies and noticed there are many that say silicon filled. Silicon filled, then how in the world would they be considered boobies? If it is silicon filled is it a booby or not? I think it is a bit dishonest to advertise silicon filled as a boobies. It may cause some to buy/reach out not realizing that all they are getting is gel filled boobies that cannot be _____ and has no fleshy value. Those type of advertisements should be banned. Are they real boobies or fake?

I'll probably get in trouble for this, lol

<moderator edit to remove the OP's name from the quote, since the OP did not say that. You'd be putting words in his mouth. You can make your point, but you can't quote him if he didn't say that>

are they trackable?

LOL.... nature-made - no, so they must be the fake ones. :ph34r:

All good points, but we forget what is really important here...

180px-Blue-footed_Booby_Comparison1.jpg

who is filling these poor birds with silicone...have the Sea Shepherds been contacted?

The last I'm going to say on the subject. many of these no trackable coins are pretty cool looking but I nor the definition of a geocoin stated on the site consider them geocoins. This is what the geocaching.com site states under geocoins.

"What is a Geocoin?

A geocoin is a special coin created by individuals or groups of geocachers as a kind of signature item or calling card. Like Travel Bugs, each geocoin is assigned a unique tracking ID which allows them to travel from geocache to geocache or to be passed amongst friends, picking up stories along the way."

So there you have it. If there is no tracking number it is NOT a geocoin. It is a coin it is a token it is a work of art but not a geocoin. Call them whatever you will but don't sell them as geocoins when they have no tracking number. If it goes on ebay at least put non-trackable in the title. Otherwise every car wash, laundry and Chucky Cheese token will start being sold as geocoins.

Thank you,

HELLOOOOOO!!! EARTH TO MATT!!!!! BUMP BUMP... IS THIS THING ON???

YOU HAVE 3 PAGES OF OF RESPONSES HERE FROM GEOCOIN EXPERTS!! MOST OF THESE PEPOLE HAVE MORE GEOCOINS IN THEIR HOME THEN YOUVE SEEN ON THE dadgum COMPUTER DUDE!! AND EVERYONE HERE IS TELLING YOU THERE ARE NON-TRACKABLE GEOCOINS.

their also giving you lots of other info, like theres other sites then geocaching.com for geocaching, and tracking but you musta forgot to read. gezzzz man!!! to bad for you youll be waisting alot of time if your gonna search for geocoins on ebay because NOBODY is going to listin to you especially because you dont listin to any one else!!!

Edited by DJ.J.ROCK

The last I'm going to say on the subject. many of these no trackable coins are pretty cool looking but I nor the definition of a geocoin stated on the site consider them geocoins. This is what the geocaching.com site states under geocoins.

"What is a Geocoin?

A geocoin is a special coin created by individuals or groups of geocachers as a kind of signature item or calling card. Like Travel Bugs, each geocoin is assigned a unique tracking ID which allows them to travel from geocache to geocache or to be passed amongst friends, picking up stories along the way."

So there you have it. If there is no tracking number it is NOT a geocoin. It is a coin it is a token it is a work of art but not a geocoin. Call them whatever you will but don't sell them as geocoins when they have no tracking number. If it goes on ebay at least put non-trackable in the title. Otherwise every car wash, laundry and Chucky Cheese token will start being sold as geocoins.

Thank you,

YOU HAVE 3 PAGES OF OF RESPONSES HERE FROM GEOCOIN EXPERTS!! MOST OF THESE PEPOLE HAVE MORE GEOCOINS IN THEIR HOME THEN YOUVE SEEN ON THE dadgum COMPUTER DUDE!! AND EVERYONE HERE IS TELLING YOU THERE ARE NON-TRACKABLE GEOCOINS.

Hey, the guy is entitled to his opinion.

"What is a Geocoin?

Thank you,

you call it an opinion,, i call it ignorance! :D especially after 3 pages of pepole telling him the difference. just my opinion. :D

Edited by DJ.J.ROCK

...there are some bullion official pieces, with face value of 1$ (so.. we can call them coins), the walking liberty ones! they are 1 oz of pure silver! But... who could give it in its face value???? Especially if you bought it more...or much more??? :D

The US Silver Eagle bullion coin folks. Currency Value $1 (backed by US Govt) Silver Value about $15. You could engrave a tracking number on it and call it a geocoin but you take the risk of ending up in jail for defacing currency.

2003_1ozSilverEagle.jpg

...there are some bullion official pieces, with face value of 1$ (so.. we can call them coins), the walking liberty ones! they are 1 oz of pure silver! But... who could give it in its face value???? Especially if you bought it more...or much more??? :D

The US Silver Eagle bullion coin folks. Currency Value $1 (backed by US Govt) Silver Value about $15. You could engrave a tracking number on it and call it a geocoin but you take the risk of ending up in jail for defacing currency.

2003_1ozSilverEagle.jpg

As far as I know, the law about dafacing currency only applies when you render it unusable. Scribbling a note on a note, or making some scratches on a coin do not count.

I also think it does not apply to coins, or souvenir penny smashers would be illegal...Like they are in Canada(so I've heard) it's illegal to smash a canadian penny anywhere, even outside the country(so I've heard)

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Sure he's entitled to his opinion if he was just stating his opinion.... e.g. "I believe geocoins are only those that are made by Groundspeak approved manufacturers and are trackable on gc.com". Unfortunately he's laying down the law according the Matt and nobody elected him Sheriff.

Alas, if he had been wise enough to stick to "I statements" a lot of us would have missed out on this bit of fun..... at least that's my officially officious and arrogant opinion. :D

Edited by Droo

2003_1ozSilverEagle.jpg

As far as I know, the law about dafacing currency only applies when you render it unusable. Scribbling a note on a note, or making some scratches on a coin do not count.

It's in Commonwealth countries you're not allowed to deface the currency.

Sure he's entitled to his opinion if he was just stating his opinion.... e.g. "I believe geocoins are only those that are made by Groundspeak approved manufacturers and are trackable on gc.com". Unfortunately he's laying down the law according the Matt and nobody elected him Sheriff.

Alas, if he had been wise enough to stick to "I statements" a lot of us would have missed out on this bit of fun..... at least that's my officially officious and arrogant opinion. :D

Yes, but you know, sometimes you have to get past the words to see the underlying point.

People want to say that non-trackables are geocoins. Okay, they may be right. I say non-trackables are signature items. Is the distinction really that important?

Well, I guess if you want to call them geocoins and someone disagrees, maybe it is important.

Bottom line is if someone is selling something they call a geocoin and a potential buyer asks what makes it a geocoin, I think it's a fair question.

Edit: clarification

Edited by BlueDeuce

Yes, but you know, sometimes you have to get past the words to see the underlying point.

People want to say that non-trackables are geocoins. Okay, they may be right. I say non-trackables are signature items. Is the distinction really that important?

Well, I guess if you want to call them geocoins and someone disagrees, maybe it is important.

Bottom line is if someone is selling something they call a geocoin and a potential buyer asks what makes it a geocoin, I think it's a fair question.

All I'm saying is that if you don't like the answer you get from that seller move on. Ranting and raving about a difference of opinion won't change anything. The old schoolers see geocoins differently than some of the newer players, as you'd expect. So what? Who's looking to standardize opinions on geocoins anyway? Oh, I guess that's what started this ruckus, huh?

It's in Commonwealth countries you're not allowed to deface the currency.

Thank's Droo (and WriteShopRobert), I was wondering how US companies got away with adding colour to them.

eagle.bu.2009.color.jpg

Something about defacing the image of the monarch that's quite frowned on.

"What is a Geocoin?

Thank you,

Geocaching.com has no more authority than you do to define the words we use. But since it seems we're all sharing opinions I'll pass along mine now*: Coins, medals, tokens... it's all semantics for (relatively) small usually flat, often round (but the more interesting ones tend not to be) pieces of metal. What makes them Geocoins is the fact that they have been made either for Geocachers or by Geocachers. Chuck-e-cheese tokens weren't made for geocaching no matter how many you find in caches!

*subject to change whenever I feel like it.

..."What is a Geocoin?

A geocoin is a special coin created by individuals or groups of geocachers as a kind of signature item or calling card. ...

At the end of the day it's the larger community that decides what is and isn't a geocoin. I'm at one end and think commerical tripe is merely trackable metal TB's. You are at the other saying "if it aint tracked it aint crap". The larger community is the middle.

It's the community that tends to have the final say in matters of language. No matter what the French government thinks.

The last I'm going to say on the subject. many of these no trackable coins are pretty cool looking but I nor the definition of a geocoin stated on the site consider them geocoins. [...]

Have to confess, you have me snorting wine out my nose with this.

I'll give you one thing: you've certainly got cajones. In a mere four months of geocaching experience, you've singlehandedly decided how to interpret geocaching traditions and are so very thoughtfully instructing cachers who've been doing this for over nine years now. It's really quite funny. But if you want to be taken seriously, welllllll.....you might want to pull that stick out, toss it away, and listen to the folks who have thousands of cache finds.

Oh, and a word to the wise? Learn how to use eBay's Advanced Search feature to eliminate that which you believe 'wastes your time'.

:D I would say so. Implants have bar codes.

Nevermind, I don't wanna know how you know that. :)

Have you ever heard of a thing called "reading"? It's a pretty powerful tool :D

I just look at the pictures... they tell me all I need to know... :D

Ah young grasshopper..pictures can be deceiving.

Not in this case they don't ;)

WOW....this thread has been awsome and inspiring! I know now what I was put here to do.....I will now create a non-trackable coin and it will only be available on ebay where I will call it "Geocoin" I will not mention anything about it being non-trackable (because I enjoy wasting peoples time) and hopefully people will purchase my fake geocoin! mwHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

...Yes, but you know, sometimes you have to get past the words to see the underlying point.

Bottom line is if someone is selling something they call a geocoin and a potential buyer asks what makes it a geocoin, I think it's a fair question....

It is important if geocoin is the 2 dollar word for signature coin and the rest are just fake. I'm rather the opposite of you. Trackable commercial is metal TB's in a coin shape while a Signature Coin that isn't trackable is the top of the food chain (though I don't mind signature trackable).

Tracking by itself doesn't make anything a geocoin. It's just tracking. There are examples of Trackable coins where the owner of the coin and the owner of the tracking are not one and the same. That may through the OP for a loop but it fits nice and neat in my little universe.

Just to prove a point I'm going to go home tonight and if I remember (I won't) pull out a trackable coin activate it and give away the coin but keep my bought and paid for tracking.

I just remembered. There is one trackable redneck coin out there in the wild. Deafhunt (remember him?) won it. Toojin was kind enough to donate a trackable coin where I removed the tracking then stamped it into my redneck coin. True redneck style.

So what the heck is that? The orginal coin was a geocoin but now isn't and the fake one is a real coin now, but his brothers aren't?

So if Deafhunt ever deces to sell his real/fake coin does he list it as trackable under another edition? And if my son who liked the coin Toojin donated sells it does he list it as a "Coin formerly known as geo"?

Edited by Renegade Knight

Here are pictures of 2 geocoins. I love the look of them both BUT according to Matt one of them is a fake. Can you guess which one?

86_4.jpg

brdenalicrsm.JPG

Its the silliness of the argument that makes me want to go off topic.

I always go caching with my pet sheep.... he's my geochum.... and together we're constantly trying to duck herpes simplex (geocoin) and influenza (geocoin) - he got bit by a piranha once as we crossed an Alaskan stream but it was eithet that or get run over by the School bus full or earth turtles, tree frogs, whale tails, hector's dolphins, lobsters, crabs, birds of many feathers even pigs with wings. But worst is when a Maverick missile singed his coat as it zoomed way too close.... couldn't tell if it was fired from B-2 bomber, an A-10 or F-16. We called in the Air Force who passed it on to the Marines who asked the Navy for a ride but eventually it was the Coast Guard that come to our rescue. The Army? They were out geocaching with some visiting musketeers so they couldn't be reached.... couldn't call a friend I guess. Our drive home was equally perilous. After nearly running over some WingNuts Todie stopped us on our Wild Drive but he liked our Mini 'coz it reminded him of his trip to London where if it hadn't been for the Bobbies he'd never have found his way around town on the Roadmaster buses. He'd had many pints with the Waterloo Crew and was seeing Fairies in 'em and had to fall back on PlanB or his face would end up on a milk carton.

.............>

Edited by Droo

I always go caching with my pet sheep.... he's my geochum.... and together we're constantly trying to duck herpes simplex (geocoin) and influenza (geocoin) - he got bit by a piranha once as we crossed an Alaskan stream but it was eithet that or get run over by the School bus full or earth turtles, tree frogs, whale tails, hector's dolphins, lobsters, crabs, birds of many feathers even pigs with wings. But worst is when a Maverick missile singed his coat as it zoomed way too close.... couldn't tell if it was fired from B-2 bomber, an A-10 or F-16. We called in the Air Force who passed it on to the Marines who asked the Navy for a ride but eventually it was the Coast Guard that come to our rescue. The Army? They were out geocaching with some visiting musketeers so they couldn't be reached.... couldn't call a friend I guess. Our drive home was equally perilous. After nearly running over some WingNuts Todie stopped us on our Wild Drive but he liked our Mini 'coz it reminded him of his trip to London where if it hadn't been for the Bobbies he'd never have found his way around town on the Roadmaster buses. He'd had many pints and was seeing Fairies in 'em and had to fall back on PlanB or his face would end up on a milk carton.

.............>

:D

Edited by Howlingmoon

Here are pictures of 2 geocoins. I love the look of them both BUT according to Matt one of them is a fake. Can you guess which one?

86_4.jpg

brdenalicrsm.JPG

What geocoin is the first one?? I am talking about the sheep! It is so beautiful!!!! WOW!!!! :D

86_4.jpg

brdenalicrsm.JPG

I always go caching with my pet sheep.... he's my geochum.... and together we're constantly trying to duck herpes simplex (geocoin) and influenza (geocoin) - he got bit by a piranha once as we crossed an Alaskan stream but it was eithet that or get run over by the School bus full or earth turtles, tree frogs, whale tails, hector's dolphins, lobsters, crabs, birds of many feathers even pigs with wings. But worst is when a Maverick missile singed his coat as it zoomed way too close.... couldn't tell if it was fired from B-2 bomber, an A-10 or F-16. We called in the Air Force who passed it on to the Marines who asked the Navy for a ride but eventually it was the Coast Guard that come to our rescue. The Army? They were out geocaching with some visiting musketeers so they couldn't be reached.... couldn't call a friend I guess. Our drive home was equally perilous. After nearly running over some WingNuts Todie stopped us on our Wild Drive but he liked our Mini 'coz it reminded him of his trip to London where if it hadn't been for the Bobbies he'd never have found his way around town on the Roadmaster buses. He'd had many pints with the Waterloo Crew and was seeing Fairies in 'em and had to fall back on PlanB or his face would end up on a milk carton.

.............>

That was the best summary of the whole "caching related" argument I have seen. I suspected it would spring out of the closet when "Edeltraud the sheep" showed up yesterday. Apparently Edeltraud is a keen geocacher and never leaves home without her GPS.

So what does that leave? Lets see....

Must geocoins be made of metal ?

Must they be round ?

I remember the days when if it wasn't a USA or a Moun10bike, it WASN'T trackable. Was the OP even a geocacher then? Trackability hardly determines if a coin is a geocoin or not. Where the heck did you come up with that analogy anyway?

:( ...yeah, those worthless non-trackabled tokens..... I'll take them off your hands for 1.00 each. especially the early ones :D .....

Just a question: Where can I find statistics about the number of geocachers between 2005 and 2009? I just need it for my little research, Thank you!

DiLMar, you may want to create a new thread for this question to get more visibility and maybe responses. I'd suggest you contact Annie at Groundspeak with your information request and see where she can lead you.... use the contact @ Groundspeak . com email addie.

Just a question: Where can I find statistics about the number of geocachers between 2005 and 2009? I just need it for my little research, Thank you!

DiLMar, you may want to create a new thread for this question to get more visibility and maybe responses. I'd suggest you contact Annie at Groundspeak with your information request and see where she can lead you.... use the contact @ Groundspeak . com email addie.

I don't think the information will be readily available, and how many of those accounts were active cachers, sock puppets, or someone just signing on to check out the site, or someone's gallery?

I also don't believe that Groundspeak will give out this information.