Fake geocoins on ebay

Matt_B_Good

.... if not trackable it is not right to sell them as geocoins. They are NOT geocoins.

So what's your opinion about trackable coins that are tracked on either tracking sites that aren't caching sites. or tracked on caching sites that aren't actually this particular caching site? What about future trackables? Anything that has a number can be tracked. On this site, future sites, replacement sites or several sites at once.

If you are going to hold strong opinions it helps to ponder the nuances so you understand that trackable may not even be this site.

Back in the day I could have gotten a Moun10bike coin via a bit of finesse. However I dug my heels in and decided the only way to get that coin was to find it in a cache. That never happened. Some might say that if it's never been in a cache it's not a geocoin.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I need to add.

Do I need to remind anyone that people should be doing research before buying anything on ebay? That should be well known. Ebay has feedback, check it out, and say something if it doesn't go well.

Groundspeak has nothing to do with ebay sales, so you're on your own purchasing anything off ebay. Groundspeak has nothing to do with sales here, only to allow them. Just because a geocoin is not trackable, doesn't mean it isn't a geocoin. And just because there's a coin with someone's name/logo/team on it, that doesn't mean it is a geocoin. Do your research before you buy. There are so many geocoins out there, and some never even see the light of these forums. You can usually find out who made them, or where they came from by searching.

I was looking on ebay for geocoins and notice there are many that say not trackable. Not trackable then how in the world would they be considered geocoins?

You know what my favorite geocoin is?

The GBA "Earthquake" coin. It was done for the Geocachers of the Bay Area a couple years ago. It has a GORGEOUS depiction of the earthquake faults along the state of california. CKayaks gave it to me. It's a coin by geocachers, for geocachers. And it's not trackable.

I got some coin the other day. Some I bought and among them were a gift, one of these fake ones. Imagine uhh, to give these fake ones as gifts.. What a nerve. :laughing::)

And today I got another fake one, the Dark knigth mystery geocoin. Well, I do not care if they are fakes or not, trackable or non-trackable, I love them all. :D

Thank you very much for giving me these fake ones. I will treasure them.

grodan Karin

(Hope you all know that I am not thinking of non-trackables as fake ones.)

saying that a nontrackable geocoin isn't a geocoin is like saying rye bread isn't bread because it isn't white :laughing:

rye bread is actually just a seeded, and baked dough, not bread, and if you drop little pieces of it as you go out geocaching, it's trackable :D .

ILYK

Matt,

B Good, and read up on Moun10bike. He was the first to put Travelers/hitchikers in caches. He created GEOCOINS.

As said before, It's a preference on what folks like to collect.

They are NOT FAKE geocoins. The only fake geocoins are duplicates made to look like geocoins and used as trackables instead of the real one, to keep it from getting STOLEN.

There are NON-Trackable Geocoins out there worth a WHOLE LOT more than most Trackables.

And the trackable thing, You can buy Tracking numbers from Groundspeak, and make ANYTHING trackable, Cars, People, My Cooler is Trackable, for crying out loud. LOL!!!

As long as they are not falsly advertising the ability to track it, There is NOTHING wrong with selling Non trackable Geocoins.

Opalsns

Edied to add ..... My 2nd favorite Geocoin in the World is Loridarlins NON TRACKABLE Personal Geocoin

Edited by opalsns

Matt,

B Good, and read up on Moun10bike. He was the first to put Travelers/hitchikers in caches. He created GEOCOINS.

He created the GC.com Trackable Geocoin.... we'd been playing with Geocoins trackable on other sites long before that. :D

And the trackable thing, You can buy Tracking numbers from Groundspeak, and make ANYTHING trackable, Cars, People, My Cooler is Trackable, for crying out loud. LOL!!!

Yup, both me and my car are trackable but we don't fit too well in most cache containers.

You know what my favorite geocoin is?

The GBA "Earthquake" coin. It was done for the Geocachers of the Bay Area a couple years ago. It has a GORGEOUS depiction of the earthquake faults along the state of california. CKayaks gave it to me. It's a coin by geocachers, for geocachers. And it's not trackable.

Cool! I produced that coin with our local group (GBA) and am glad that you not only got one from CKayaks (great guy) but appreciate it.

I'm too old to respond to the original point of this thread....

Edited by Kealia

I agree. You know what else really bugs me? Geocoins THAT AREN'T EVEN COINS. It seems people will put a tracking number on anything and call it a geocoin now a days.

Me too! I really do hate that . . . . . . . WAIT . . . . . . . I am one of the worst of those people. oh well . . . .

:):laughing:

Yeah, Steve, next you'll be slapping a tracking number on a fridge and calling it a geocoin. :unsure::):D

What a great idea. Might need a very long extension cord though

Those are collectable tokens. Geocoins are trackable.

Can you provide an authoritative reference to this distiction? I've never before seen that anywhere.

Many geocoins such as the 2005 Alaska coin were produced before one could purchase tracking numbers from Groundspeak. Lots of geocachers had no problem recognizing them as geocoins and bought more than 1800 of the first Alaska issue. They are individually numbered and trackable at here.

We've never had a problem trading our personal geocoin with other cachers. In many cases, we traded our non-trackable geocoin for a newer trackable coin. Our personal coins are individually numbered and trackable here.

brmoosecrsm.JPGbrdenalicrsm.JPG

lbkids_big.jpg

I will gladly pay shipping and fair scrap metal value for any pre-2006 fake geocoins. Especially the square one that's not even round like a coin should be. :D I'd hate for folks to have fakes cluttering up their collections. :laughing:

Edited by Ladybug Kids

well . . . since this started out as a complaint about how some things are listed on eBay . . .

here are a few more things that are likely to be seen there

geocoins listed as HTF that are not hard to find at all

geocoins listed as SOLD OUT that are still available from the original vendor at regular retail

geocoins listed as RARE when in fact they are quite common

geocoins listed with a price of 99 cents with a shipping charge of 7 dollars or more

geocoins listed at fairly steep prices that can be had via a member of this forum for 50 percent less

and much more !

(and, of course, these practices are not just confined to geocoins)

so - do your homework, check feedback, shop around, and just plain generally BEWARE

(re: GBA Earthquake coin) Cool! I produced that coin with our local group (GBA) and am glad that you not only got one from CKayaks (great guy) but appreciate it.

You did a FABULOUS job and I thank you. There's actually even more to the story:

My first event was in June; I got to talking to a couple who were here on the wedding anniversary (!) who decided to attend the I Scream event *for their wedding anniversary*. At some point I and LustyPirateQueen got to looking through the Giant Box O Coins that had been won by someone else, and I spotted the Earthquake coin.

Instant lust. LustyPirateQueen felt the same way. The owner of the Giant Box O Coins, in typical generous geocacher fashion, offered me the coin. CKayaks was telling me about the history of the coin as a disappointed LustyPirateQueen wandered off, leaving her husband there. Remembering this was their wedding anniversary, I handed the Earthquake coin to PirateHusband as an anniversary present, and offered to swap barbeque rub to CKayaks for another Earthquake coin. :D

The coin has a bit of special meaning to me; I'm a fifth generation native Californian, and got to ride the '89 Loma Prieta quake along with numerous others!

Edited by Hakali

well . . . since this started out as a complaint about how some things are listed on eBay . . .

geocoins listed as HTF that are not hard to find at all

geocoins listed as SOLD OUT that are still available from the original vendor at regular retail

geocoins listed as RARE when in fact they are quite common

geocoins listed with a price of 99 cents with a shipping charge of 7 dollars or more

geocoins listed at fairly steep prices that can be had via a member of this forum for 50 percent less

and much more !

But they're all trackable, right ?

:D

Those are collectable tokens. Geocoins are trackable.

Can you provide an authoritative reference to this distiction? I've never before seen that anywhere.

Many geocoins such as the 2005 Alaska coin were produced before one could purchase tracking numbers from Groundspeak. Lots of geocachers had no problem recognizing them as geocoins and bought more than 1800 of the first Alaska issue. They are individually numbered and trackable at here.

We've never had a problem trading our personal geocoin with other cachers. In many cases, we traded our non-trackable geocoin for a newer trackable coin. Our personal coins are individually numbered and trackable here.

brmoosecrsm.JPGbrdenalicrsm.JPG

lbkids_big.jpg

I will gladly pay shipping and fair scrap metal value for any pre-2006 fake geocoins. Especially the square one that's not even round like a coin should be. :D I'd hate for folks to have fakes cluttering up their collections. :laughing:

I would like to trade one of my personal coins for one of your coins if any become available...mine are trackable, have their own icon, have nothing to do with geocaching, and I have never offered one for sale on e-bay, even though they are sold out, very hard to find, never offered by any coin dealers, and made of an ultra rare metal, painstakingly coated with the finest of sparkly enamals, packaged in ultra clear geocoin only protector, OSHA approved. But that's not all............................act right now and I'll even throw in my new sig item, the handy dandy I found your cache with my heine wooden nickel!

Non-trackables make up a large portion of my collection, but then again I've only been collecting coins for about a year. I've already fussed several times that my favorite coin other than Kathy's Coin, is a wooden nickel made by, given to me as a trade by Princess Trekker. It's not trackable, it's not metal, but you'll never see it for sale on e-bay, and I'd never trade it for another coin.

Ladybug Kids, I truly would like to trade my personal coin for yours. For those who don't feel this beautiful coin should not be sold on e-bay as a geocoin, or feel my non-caching related personal coin should not be allowed to be sold on e-bay as a geocoin my advice follows...don't look for geocoins on e-bay and your time will not be wasted.

ILYK

Well....I personaly believe that all are geocoins, trackable or not!

The trackable are the travellers! That's the only difference!

The tracking number is on the coin, so the owner can see where the coin is, who has it, and actually it is there so the owner can claim ownership!!!

The non trackable are made for trades, so you can leave them caches so others will keep them, they are made for prices (FTF for example), for gifts... or they are mustery coins!

I think, the majority of the mystery coins are non trackable!!! And no offence... some of the most beautiful coins are like this, and many are in the higher places in our wish list!

Of course if you choose to say that only the trackable coins are geocoins... it is ok! Everyone has his own opinion!

Just remember... geocoins are not even coins, are not even tokens!!!!

I am speaking as a collector of coins and paper money (26 years of collecting!)!

The best name you can say for the geocoins is... private medals!!

You can not say that signature items, pathtags, wooden nickels are tokens too!!!

Tokens in numismatics are coin like pieces that were in use as money (you could buy things, food, drinks etc), in special places or in hard times of history!

Geocaching or geocachers... I do not know, choosed to call these things geoCOINS, pobably because the first were coin like (non shaped ones!)!

BTW.... in USA military, you can find challenge coins.... they are not coins either! Even if they are pretty... (I have seen photos of these lovely pieces... who knows... I might get one one day!), the best word to name them are private madals too! :D

The tracking number is on the coin, so the owner can see where the coin is, who has it, and actually it is there so the owner can claim ownership!!!

The non trackable are made for trades, so you can leave them caches so others will keep them, they are made for prices (FTF for example), for gifts... or they are mustery coins!

I think, the majority of the mystery coins are non trackable!!! And no offence... some of the most beautiful coins are like this, and many are in the higher places in our wish list!

Of course if you choose to say that only the trackable coins are geocoins... it is ok! Everyone has his own opinion!

I am speaking as a collector of coins and paper money (26 years of collecting!)!

You can not say that signature items, pathtags, wooden nickels are tokens too!!!

Tokens in numismatics are coin like pieces that were in use as money (you could buy things, food, drinks etc), in special places or in hard times of history!

Geocaching or geocachers... I do not know, choosed to call these things geoCOINS, pobably because the first were coin like (non shaped ones!)!

BTW.... in USA military, you can find challenge coins.... they are not coins either! Even if they are pretty... (I have seen photos of these lovely pieces... who knows... I might get one one day!), the best word to name them are private madals too! :D

IMG_NEW-4-1.jpg

also not for sale on ebay

geocoins listed as HTF that are not hard to find at all I AGREE, THIS SHOULD BE USED FOR COINS THAT ARE LONG GONE AND HARD TO FIND.

geocoins listed as SOLD OUT that are still available from the original vendor at regular retail THIS IS TRICKY, WITH VENDORS CONSTANTLY REMINTING, IT'S A CAT AND MOUSE GAME

geocoins listed as RARE when in fact they are quite common AGREE, RARE SHOULD BE, WELL RARE

geocoins listed with a price of 99 cents with a shipping charge of 7 dollars or more THIS IS AGAINST EBAY POLICY AND CAN BE REPORTED

geocoins listed at fairly steep prices that can be had via a member of this forum for 50 percent less DIFFERENT PEOPLE LIST DIFFERENTLY.

so - do your homework, check feedback, shop around, and just plain generally BEWARE = THAT'S A LITTLE CIRCLE THE WAGONISH, BUT PEOPLE SHOULD DEFINITELY ASK THE SELLER IF THEY HAVE A QUESTION.

Believe it or not, I don't disagree and I don't have the same angst as the OP. As far as I'm concerned Home Depot could come out with a Home Depot coin and call it a geocoin and it's a geocoin.

My question is this: Don't you think there should be a little bit of a definition?

I wondered when someone was going to add this bit to the discussion! My husband complained about the fact that they are called geocoins from the first time he saw one. Apparently, if it does not have a stated monetary value on it, it isn't a coin. (Bah! I like the sound of geocoin, so there!) :D

Yep, a Numismatist could question our use of the term "coin" in "geocoin". Sure the round metal ones look like coins but they are not legal tender. One could say all geocoins are fake coins and Matt B Good is trying to pull a fast one by taking our attention off this fact by focussing on the whole trackable thing :D

Anyway, we all know that it aint a geocoin unless it has a picture of Signal :laughing:

Edited by haysonics

I was looking on boobies.com for boobies and noticed there are many that say silicon filled. Silicon filled, then how in the world would they be considered boobies? If it is silicon filled is it a booby or not? I think it is a bit dishonest to advertise silicon filled as a boobies. It may cause some to buy/reach out not realizing that all they are getting is gel filled boobies that cannot be _____ and has no fleshy value. Those type of advertisements should be banned. Are they real boobies or fake?

I'll probably get in trouble for this, lol

<moderator edit to remove the OP's name from the quote, since the OP did not say that. You'd be putting words in his mouth. You can make your point, but you can't quote him if he didn't say that>

Edited by Eartha

I was looking on boobies.com for boobies and noticed there are many that say silicon filled. Silicon filled, then how in the world would they be considered boobies? If it is silicon filled is it a booby or not? I think it is a bit dishonest to advertise silicon filled as a boobies. It may cause some to buy/reach out not realizing that all they are getting is gel filled boobies that cannot be _____ and has no fleshy value. Those type of advertisements should be banned. Are they real boobies or fake?

<moderator edit to remove the OP's name from the quote, since the OP did not say that. You'd be putting words in his mouth. You can make your point, but you can't quote him if he didn't say that>

are they trackable?

are they trackable?

:ph34r: I would say so. Implants have bar codes. It's been used to help identify women who've been killed and have implants.

are they trackable?

LOL.... nature-made - no, so they must be the fake ones. :ph34r:

are they trackable?

LOL.... nature-made - no, so they must be the fake ones. :ph34r:

But some people "feel" that they have quite a high value and look more to their liking depending on their presentation!!! :laughing::anibad::laughing:

I wondered when someone was going to add this bit to the discussion! My husband complained about the fact that they are called geocoins from the first time he saw one. Apparently, if it does not have a stated monetary value on it, it isn't a coin. (Bah! I like the sound of geocoin, so there!) :ph34r:

The Alaska Mint calls them "medallions." But, can you imagine saying or typing geomedallion? Maybe geomeds for short? Now that I typed it, I think I'm ready for some geomeds.

Sidebar: My post earlier today that featured the first Alaskan geocoin and our personal was not intended to be a plug for them. The 2005 Alaska coin has long since been sold out and rarely shows up in the secondary market. Our personal coin was never sold by us. I only wanted to illustrate from a historical perspective that many of the earlier coins were/are tracked by different means (if they were tracked at all) because it wasn't until mid-2005 or so that Groundspeak began selling tracking numbers and custom icons. The early California coins were/are also trackable on a separate website.

:ph34r: I sure do *heart* you Tsun! I think this is my favorite reply ever....

BTW.... in USA military, you can find challenge coins.... they are not coins either! Even if they are pretty... (I have seen photos of these lovely pieces... who knows... I might get one one day!), the best word to name them are private madals too! :ph34r:

IMG_NEW-4-1.jpg

also not for sale on ebay

WOW!!! what a Beauty!!!!

I wondered when someone was going to add this bit to the discussion! My husband complained about the fact that they are called geocoins from the first time he saw one. Apparently, if it does not have a stated monetary value on it, it isn't a coin. (Bah! I like the sound of geocoin, so there!) :ph34r:

Someone forgot to tell the military they got it wrong with challenge coins. Plus what's a coin collector to do with these things. They didn't call them coins but did call them money.

currencycolor.jpg

Edited by Renegade Knight

The last I'm going to say on the subject. many of these no trackable coins are pretty cool looking but I nor the definition of a geocoin stated on the site consider them geocoins. This is what the geocaching.com site states under geocoins.

"What is a Geocoin?

A geocoin is a special coin created by individuals or groups of geocachers as a kind of signature item or calling card. Like Travel Bugs, each geocoin is assigned a unique tracking ID which allows them to travel from geocache to geocache or to be passed amongst friends, picking up stories along the way."

So there you have it. If there is no tracking number it is NOT a geocoin. It is a coin it is a token it is a work of art but not a geocoin. Call them whatever you will but don't sell them as geocoins when they have no tracking number. If it goes on ebay at least put non-trackable in the title. Otherwise every car wash, laundry and Chucky Cheese token will start being sold as geocoins.

Thank you,

Hahahahahahahahaha... I almost fell out of my chair reading this.

Non-trackable coins are the foundation of the hobby. Every personal coin made before late 2005 or so (with the exception of Moun10Bike) is non-trackable because it just wasn't an option. Many of them were tracked on personal websites or other sites... but most not at all. They were considered the ultimate trade item. If you were lucky enough to find a blazerfan geocoin in the wild you had to work for it. Accusing non-trackable geocoins of being fake is like accusing the Mona Lisa of not being a real painting because it isn't on canvas.

Hahahahahahahahaha... I almost fell out of my chair reading this.

Non-trackable coins are the foundation of the hobby. Every personal coin made before late 2005 or so (with the exception of Moun10Bike) is non-trackable because it just wasn't an option. Many of them were tracked on personal websites or other sites... but most not at all. They were considered the ultimate trade item. If you were lucky enough to find a blazerfan geocoin in the wild you had to work for it. Accusing non-trackable geocoins of being fake is like accusing the Mona Lisa of not being a real painting because it isn't on canvas.

Yeah well, I still say you can't just call anything a geocoin. Trackable on this site? Sure, why not.

Non-trackable? Better check under the hood first otherwise you might be buying a pig in a poke.

edit: oh by the way, I found the Mona Lisa online for $17.98. It's not on a canvas so you should be good to go. :ph34r:

Edited by BlueDeuce

The last I'm going to say on the subject. many of these no trackable coins are pretty cool looking but I nor the definition of a geocoin stated on the site consider them geocoins. This is what the geocaching.com site states under geocoins.

"What is a Geocoin?

A geocoin is a special coin created by individuals or groups of geocachers as a kind of signature item or calling card. Like Travel Bugs, each geocoin is assigned a unique tracking ID which allows them to travel from geocache to geocache or to be passed amongst friends, picking up stories along the way."

So there you have it. If there is no tracking number it is NOT a geocoin. It is a coin it is a token it is a work of art but not a geocoin. Call them whatever you will but don't sell them as geocoins when they have no tracking number. If it goes on ebay at least put non-trackable in the title. Otherwise every car wash, laundry and Chucky Cheese token will start being sold as geocoins.

Thank you,

If you look at the Knowledge Base at GC.com under the search "geocoins", it pulls up the heading

B:Trackable geocoins

As long as we are quibbling about GC's definition of Geocoins, why would they say "Trackable Geocoins" if it was truly their intent to use the label geocoins only for ones with a tracking number. As for the eBay question, most sellers will either put trackable or unactivated (inferring tracking codes) within the title or description of the post. The trackable geocoins are the prevailent coins on eBay as the pre 2005 geocoins are for the most part highly sought after or used only in trading. With just a little bit of reading the eBay (or any other posts) and less lawyering definitions, you can come away with some good purchases. Good Luck.

"What is a Geocoin?

Thank you,

I again say that you don't get to tell anybody how to list their coins. Coins that were not trackable at GC.com were called geocoins before coins were trackable at GC.com. So basically, non-trackable coins used the name first, and we aren't going to change because you are commanding us to.

I really don't know who you think you are to come into the Geocoin forum four years after we formed and tell us how we can list our coins, because you might have a second or two of inconvenience.

I think I'm going to go to some forum of a hobby that I basically know nothing about and tell them they are doing things wrong. That should go over well. :ph34r:

Edited by MustangJoni