Fake geocoins on ebay

Matt_B_Good

I was looking on ebay for geocoins and notice there are many that say not trackable. Not trackable then how in the world would they be considered geocoins? If it is not trackable is it not just a token or coin? I think it is a bit dishonest to advertise a non-trackable token or coin as a geocoin. It may cause some to bid not realizing that all they are getting is a coin that cannot be tracked and has no monetary value. Those type of auctions should be banned.

I don't know if the seller was intentional selling it as a trackable geocoin but it is always a good idea to verify that it is. In fact I think I would be asking several questions.*

Is this geocoin trackable at geocaching.com

Is this an activated geocoin

Will I be provided an activation code.

Who do contact if I can't activate the coin

Sellers really need to cover these and any other possible concerns in bold letters when they list the coin.

If it's not, ask.

*Add any other questions you can think of.

My personal coin is not trackable, but I drop it in caches. Therefore, I consider it a geocoin.

People should read the listing to see if a coin is trackable or not. They also should find out if the coin is activated.

Why ban these listings if they clearly state that they are non-trackable? If you don't want a non-trackable coin, then don't bid on it.

BTW: I traded out in a cache for another non-trackable coin this weekend, and I bet if I put it on ebay (which I won't) I would get a bundle for it.

Edited by MustangJoni

I was looking on ebay for geocoins and notice there are many that say not trackable. Not trackable then how in the world would they be considered geocoins? If it is not trackable is it not just a token or coin? I think it is a bit dishonest to advertise a non-trackable token or coin as a geocoin. It may cause some to bid not realizing that all they are getting is a coin that cannot be tracked and has no monetary value. Those type of auctions should be banned.

Here is a wiki I came across about untrackable coins. I believe many people collect them (I have a few) and some other sites also track coins separately from gc.com

http://untrackablegeocoins.wetpaint.com/

I don't know if the seller was intentional selling it as a trackable geocoin but it is always a good idea to verify that it is. In fact I think I would be asking several questions.*

Sellers really need to cover these and any other possible concerns in bold letters when they list the coin.

If it's not, ask.

I will give them credit for stating in the auction that it is not trackable but the title of the auction says Geocoin so here I waste a bunch of time looking at auctions for something I don't want thinking it was something I did. people placing those type of auctions waste my time and that ticks me off :D Sell them as tokens or even Geocache swag fine but if not trackable it is not right to sell them as geocoins. They are NOT geocoins.

If it's not, ask.

I will give them credit for stating in the auction that it is not trackable but the title of the auction says Geocoin so here I waste a bunch of time looking at auctions for something I don't want thinking it was something I did. people placing those type of auctions waste my time and that ticks me off :D Sell them as tokens or even Geocache swag fine but if not trackable it is not right to sell them as geocoins. They are NOT geocoins.

Well... yes... actually... they are geocoins. Just non-trackable geocoins.

Now you know. :(

If it's not, ask.

There are alot of us who believe that personal signature items that get dropped in caches ARE geocoins - trackable or not. I also believe event and state or club coins that aren't trackable ARE geocoins.

Just because YOU don't think they are doesn't mean the rest world has to change so we aren't wasting your time.

My personal coin is not trackable, but I drop it in caches. Therefore, I consider it a geocoin.

People should read the listing to see if a coin is trackable or not. They also should find out if the coin is activated.

Why ban these listings if they clearly state that they are non-trackable? If you don't want a non-trackable coin, then don't bid on it.

BTW: I traded out in a cache for another non-trackable coin this weekend, and I bet if I put it on ebay (which I won't) I would get a bundle for it.

If you drop a dollar coin into a cache do you consider that to be a Geocoin? No, I didn't think so. That's great you have your own coin but how can you consider that a geocoin? I would consider that a personal coin or maybe a signature coin. Call it what you want, just don't sell it on ebay as a geocoin if you can't track it on geocaching.com. Your wasting people's time.

There are thousands of geocoins out there. Some are trackable, some are not. Please feel free to visit the link to the Groundspeak Knowledge Base for more information. The difference in here, between trackable and non-trackable geocoins, is that you cannot advertise non-trackable geocoins for sale in these forums, but you can discuss them all you want. Tracking numbers are not what determines a geocoin. Sometimes geocoins are not even geocaching related. Please, read the forums for more information. We even have cointests, where you can win one to start your collection. Welcome to the addiction, but I warn you, people have become addicted. :D

If it's not, ask.

There are alot of us who believe that personal signature items that get dropped in caches ARE geocoins - trackable or not. I also believe event and state or club coins that aren't trackable ARE geocoins.

Just because YOU don't think they are doesn't mean the rest world has to change so we aren't wasting your time.

Those are collectable tokens. Geocoins are trackable.

If it's not, ask.

If you do some searching here on the forums you will find that a lot of geocoins are not trackable. Several of the very first ones that started this craze were not trackable. Yes they ARE considered geocoins. In fact in your search you will find that some purists think that only coins that are directly related to geocaching whether trackable or not should be called geocoins. If they are not considered as geocoins in your mind than in the ebay search box put geocoin -nontrackable and be sure to mark the box where it says to check the title and listing. That will solve your problem. That way you won't waste your time looking at something you don't want to bid on and save for the rest of us collectors those nontrackables that are valuable....

oh please...give me a break (not a geocoin ha!) back in the good ole days that's all there were (NON TRACKABLES) and everyone was THRILLED to trade for one. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I don't care whether they are trackable or not. They are all the same to me since I am NOT an icon whore. After awhile of trading non tracks, Groundspeak changed their rules and allowed trackable coins. Just because you think they are a waste of time, others do not. They for sure are NOT fakes LOL Perhaps you should do your searches on ebay as GEOCOIN, TRACK so that you "dont waste your time".

Lastly, a FAKE geocoin is a picture of a geocoin glued onto a piece of metal.

Hope I cleared up that one and I usually stay out of silly threads like this.

If you drop a dollar coin into a cache do you consider that to be a Geocoin? No, I didn't think so. That's great you have your own coin but how can you consider that a geocoin? I would consider that a personal coin or maybe a signature coin. Call it what you want, just don't sell it on ebay as a geocoin if you can't track it on geocaching.com. Your wasting people's time.

I will sell my coin on ebay as a geocoin if I want to. In others words, and I haven't said this since I was a kid, "You aren't the boss of me!"

I've been collecting and making coins since 2005, I'm pretty sure that I know what I'm doing. I don't know how you gained all your expertise on geocoins, but quite frankly, you can think of them as not geocoins, you really have no right to tell me what I can and can't do.

Edited by MustangJoni

I will sell my coin on ebay as a geocoin if I want to. In others words, and I haven't said this since I was a kid, "You aren't the boss of me!"

I've been collecting and making coins since 2005, I'm pretty sure that I know what I'm doing. I don't know how you gained all your expertise on geocoins, but quite frankly, you can think of them as not geocoins, but you really have no right to tell me what I can and can't do.

Oh! I know where he gets his expertise! He's been caching since June 2009 and has 129 cache finds and owns 3 geocoins. Yep! He's an expert all right. :D

It AMAZES me what some of the newbie collectors think!!! wow!!!! LOL Too bad you weren't around in 2005...you woulda been jumpin at the chance to own one and better yet, you would APPRECIATE them for what they are. oh well....

If it's not, ask.

Those are collectable tokens. Geocoins are trackable.

"geo" pertains to geocaching and any coin used to put in a cache can be considered a geocoin,, if i put a quater in a cache i could call it a geo-quater, hahaaa!! and ive seen many geocoins that are not trackable!!

2 questions, what makes you a geocoin expert?? and did you make the rules?? hahaa maybe you did!!

ok im just messin with ya, but i find you quite funny!!

There are thousands of geocoins out there. Some are trackable, some are not. Please feel free to visit the link to the Groundspeak Knowledge Base for more information. The difference in here, between trackable and non-trackable geocoins, is that you cannot advertise non-trackable geocoins for sale in these forums, but you can discuss them all you want. Tracking numbers are not what determines a geocoin. Sometimes geocoins are not even geocaching related. Please, read the forums for more information. We even have cointests, where you can win one to start your collection. Welcome to the addiction, but I warn you, people have become addicted. :D

EXCELLENT EXCELLENT EXCELLENT ADVICE I'm quoting this so that if the OP missed it he will read it again and take the advice

Now, now. I can understand the OP's position. You start listing coins and what makes it geocaching related? First rule would be trackable.

People do make coins that geocachers would want to own. Maybe they are directly geocaching related and maybe they aren't.

The bottom line is that yes people will call them geocoins and you are going to have to determine for yourself if you agree. No real way to get around it and I doubt you could ban it on Ebay.

Buyer beware.

Either stick with true trackables or know you are just bidding on some coin.

Maybe find a special way to exclude non-trackables in your Ebay search.

Now, now. I can understand the OP's position. You start listing coins and what makes it geocaching related? First rule would be trackable.

Whose rule would that be? I must have missed it in the threads that Eartha quoted and in my years of collecting.

BTW I showed him above how to exclude nontrackables in his ebay serach

Max, Dude.... chill out, man. You've only been caching for 4 months and you're acting like you know it all. Some of the people you're arguing against have been doing it for 4 years or more. We're all learning as we go and often make mistakes. These preconceived ideas about what constitutes a geocoin or not is YOUR construct and it just happens to be off.... just a little bit.

Personally I love finding non trackable geocoins in caches but more so I love receiving them from the geocachers who made them. Get it? Geocacher's coin = geocoin.

It's a good thing the OP didn't run across a real fake geocoin or he would really be disappointed. This has been hashed out before. Just because it isn't trackable doesn't mean it's not a coin, likewise just because it's alluminum, doesn't mean it's not a coin according to someone somewhere. I could put tracking numbers on hubcaps and call them geocoins if I wanted to, who's going to tell me different? According to the OP it only needs to be trackable? paleese... :D

if precedent has any value . . .

there were geocoins long before there were trackable geocoins

you can see many of them here

http://www.geocities.com/team_fisur/geocoins/index.html

for several years, the only things that were trackable on GC.com were -

travel bugs

Moun10Bike geocoins

USA geocoins

many of the items shown on the web page cited above were trackable on their own websites

but for quite some time, GC.com only did the three listed above

many people and groups begged to have their geocoins (and other items) be trackable on GC.com

for several years, they were politely informed that it was not possible

that all changed when the trackable Jeeps came into being

(a change to the database allowed trackable codes contain characters, not just numbers)

there have been many trackable geocoins made since then

and not just a few (more) non-trackable geocoins, too

I agree. You know what else really bugs me? Geocoins THAT AREN'T EVEN COINS. It seems people will put a tracking number on anything and call it a geocoin now a days.

A washer can be a geocoin..... if it's a redneck geocoin!!! :D:(:blink::o

So true !! And those Redneck Geocoins are purty and rumor has it, hurt to make ! :unsure:

Back in My day.... most geocoins were not trackable. But they were and still are geocoins!

This makes you sound old! :D

Back in my day, we had to find our geocaches in 10 feet of snow, and go uphill both ways!

You forgot the bare feet part!!! :( Oh yeah and to keep this OT you had to carry your bag of nontrackable geocoins to drop in those caches. :unsure:

I agree. You know what else really bugs me? Geocoins THAT AREN'T EVEN COINS. It seems people will put a tracking number on anything and call it a geocoin now a days.

Me too! I really do hate that . . . . . . . WAIT . . . . . . . I am one of the worst of those people. oh well . . . .

:unsure::(

Yeah, Steve, next you'll be slapping a tracking number on a fridge and calling it a geocoin. :o:blink::D

People do make coins that geocachers would want to own. Maybe they are directly geocaching related and maybe they aren't.

The bottom line is that yes people will call them geocoins and you are going to have to determine for yourself if you agree. No real way to get around it and I doubt you could ban it on Ebay.

Buyer beware.

Either stick with true trackables or know you are just bidding on some coin.

I'm not bothered by his position. I don't agree with it, but I have no problem with it. It just leaves more of the valuable non-trackbles for me to get on ebay!

I do have a problem with him telling me how I'm allowed to list my geocoins. Telling me that I'm wasting his time was just plain rude.

I'm not bothered by his position. I don't agree with it, but I have no problem with it. It just leaves more of the valuable non-trackbles for me to get on ebay!

I do have a problem with him telling me how I'm allowed to list my geocoins. Telling me that I'm wasting his time was just plain rude.

I completely agree with you. There's a difference with understanding his position and agreeing with it.

Edited for clarification.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Whose rule would that be?

Mine.

I can probably guarantee a gc.com trackable coin is geocaching related. If it's not trackable, then you need to determine for yourself if it's geocaching related. Don't rely on a EBAY listing saying it is.

Eh?

Please inform me how how a Carosel Horse that is trackable is geocaching related? You said you could probably guarantee it is just because it is trackable. Somebody above lamented that there are so many different things that are stamped with a tracking number. Is that how they are geocaching related? I guess its the tracking number is what makes it geocaching related. I see......

There are a LOT more non trackables out there that I think are way more caching realted than that horse.....

Mine.

I can probably guarantee a gc.com trackable coin is geocaching related. If it's not trackable, then you need to determine for yourself if it's geocaching related. Don't rely on a EBAY listing saying it is.

Eh?

Please inform me how how a Carosel Horse that is trackable is geocaching related? You said you could probably guarantee it is just because it is trackable. Somebody above lamented that there are so many different things that are stamped with a tracking number. Is that how they are geocaching related? I guess its the tracking number is what makes it geocaching related. I see......

There are a LOT more non trackables out there that I think are way more caching realted than that horse.....

My mistake. I should have said what makes it a geocoin rather than geocaching related. If it's trackable on gc.com then it's geocoin. Not trackable, not a geocoin.

Wait, wait. wait, not a geocaching.com geocoin.

Zang.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Thankfully when I finally do create my non trackable personal geocoin and it hits eBay I have the luxury of not really caring a whit if my hard earned geocoin is listed one way or another. I even have the luxury of not caring if you refuse to call it a geocoin.

However if I ever found a MustangJoni geocoin in a cache that would be a pleasant surprise. Oh and in my book it's far more of a geocoin that that trackable swill that some pass of as geocoins but which are really commercial tripe. Signature coins are the top of the food chain in geocoinage. Especially the non trackable ones. Tracking clutter gets in the way of personal expression.

Mine.

Eh?

My mistake. I should have said what makes it a geocoin rather than geocaching related. If it's trackable on gc.com then it's geocoin. Not trackable, not a geocoin.

Wait, wait. wait, not a geocaching.com geocoin.

Zang.

See Eartha's post above.....

WELCOME - MAX__B__GOOD - to this wacky obsession called GEOCOINS . If you don't want to get sucked in . . . RUN now as this hobby can and usually IS addictive :blink:

I know a little about E-bay and have noticed that most of the non-trackable geocoins usually will state ' not circulated" and "numbered" .

Also, there ARE Non- trackable that are what some of us look forward to forever and are VERY desirable Those, are known as "mystery" coins. But, IF you don't care for non- trackables, Maybe you won't have the privilege to receive one :unsure::D

( the preceeding message was only MHO :o:( )

P.S. Hope you keep coming back

Whose rule would that be? I must have missed it in the threads that Eartha quoted and in my years of collecting....

No idea. My first rule is that if it's a signature coin it's perfectly geocaching related. Everthing else is second rate. Tracking only relates in that some coins tracing is their only tie to caching and of course only on this site. I happen to have some coins trackable on another caching site. Lets find out what the OP thinks about that.