Exact Coordinates

luckyu886

I'm trying to post a new cache and instead of giving the exact coordinates of the cache I gave coordinates to a point about 50 feet away and then gave a couple hints as to where the actual cache is. But the person who is reviewing my cache keeps trying to say that I can't do this - I have to give the exact location. But I've retrieved caches that gave close coordinates, but not exact so I don't understand why other people can do this and I can't. I think it would fall under this category straight from the Cache Requirements and Guidelines...

"Offset caches are a variation on multi-caches. They are listed as a multi-cache when selecting a cache type. They are not found by simply going to some coordinates and finding a cache there. With the offset cache the published coordinates could be of an existing historical monument, plaque, or even a benchmark that you would like to have your cache hunter visit. At this spot, the hunter looks for numbers or information already appearing on the marker or on some part of the marker or site (geocachers never deface public or private property). The geocacher is then able to manipulate these numbers or information using instructions posted on the cache page to continue the hunt."

Help! Am I wrong??

I'm trying to post a new cache and instead of giving the exact coordinates of the cache I gave coordinates to a point about 50 feet away and then gave a couple hints as to where the actual cache is.

Unfortunately, that's not geocaching. It is also not an offset cache. Posting coordinates about 50 feet away and giving hints might fly as a letterbox hybrid, if the hints were specific enough.

Much experience has taught me that posting bad coordinates in an attempt to make a cache "harder" doesn't work out too well. Why don't you just post the actual coordinates?

Edited by fizzymagic

You need to have a physical cache at your waypoint.

Imagine if you got to GZ (ie 30 feet of the actual spot) and then gave instructions to walk down the path next to the pine tree. Where you are standing you might see a pine tree and a trail of sorts leading away. Unfortunately it is the wrong one. No handheld consumer-level GPS is that accurate.

However, if you had a physical cache to find, you would know you are in the right spot.

Posting intentionally bad coordinates is a good way to get yourself on the local's ignore list.

There are plenty of ways to make a hide harder to find, such as a good camo job, or a unique hiding spot.

Please don't hide a cache with inaccurate coordinates.

Note: Just because you may see some hides that may be done this way, that doesn't make them a good idea. There are people out there with purple hair, too. :D

But the person who is reviewing my cache keeps trying to say that I can't do this

He is correct. You are expected to post coordinates that are as accurate as possible.

You can post an offset cache but the coordinates need to take you to a specific object.

You can't post coords in the middle of a field or parking lot and give hints from there.

You can post coordinates that reference specific tree, monument, boulder etc. and then provide

instructions that will get people to the cache. For instance "The posted coordinates will bring you

to a statue of George Washington. Standing at the base of the statue, walk 30 paces at 145 degrees." This is a typical offset cache.

GPS use has to be an integral part of the hunt so the GPS has to bring you to a specific spot or object.

One thing you can do would be to hide a small container at your posted coordinates with instructions

about how to find the cache. That would satisfy the GPS use requirement.

Edited by briansnat

You might get a higher quality, more satisfying response if you posed your inquiry to the reviewer who aproved it.

Namely: Reviewer Jones.

RJ approved it just the way it is worded. Apparently RJ either didn't care or had discussion with the hider and felt it was OK. It's hidden in an old cemetery that's about 3 acres in size (100+ yds by 100+ yds).

Not a single DNF logged, that's odd.

Not unusual for any cache.

Edited by Wadcutter
This one is about 150 ft from the posted coords. "Just look around." How did this one get approved?

GC1MWPF

You could post more accurate coordinates with your Found log.

Fuzzy Co-ords = Bad Ju Ju. In my humble opinion

If you are posting on offset cache be considerate enough to state early in the cache description that the cache is offset ... will save a lot of teeth from being gnashed and keep the air from being turned blue.

You are also pretty much at the whim of the person who is reviewing you cache and until it is approved by that person it ain't getting published.

Seldom is there a problem if you follow the guidelines. If you feel that you have followed the guidelines and still can't get your cache published there is always the appeals process.

If you have a cache idea that doesn't fit into the GC.com guidelines you can always use a different listing service.

This one is about 150 ft from the posted coords. "Just look around." How did this one get approved?

GC1MWPF

And don't list it as a traditional Cache.

Seems like a simple answer.

It's listed as a puzzle or mystery cache.

A cache intentionally hidden 150 ft from the given coords with the description given as "Just look around." is neither a puzzle nor a mystery cache. Since it doesn't give direction and distance to the cache from the coords then it's not an offset either.

A cache (which is a film can) hidden 150 ft from the given coords with the description of "Just look around" in an old cemetery of about 3 acres size is nothing more than bad coords.

GC1MWPF

And don't list it as a traditional Cache.

Seems like a simple answer.

It's listed as a puzzle or mystery cache.

A cache intentionally hidden 150 ft from the given coords with the description given as "Just look around." is neither a puzzle nor a mystery cache. Since it doesn't give direction and distance to the cache from the coords then it's not an offset either.

A cache (which is a film can) hidden 150 ft from the given coords with the description of "Just look around" in an old cemetery of about 3 acres size is nothing more than bad coords.

So, have you pointed this out to the reviewer? Or just brought it in here to confuse this thread?

Me? If it bothered me I'd just tell the reviewer and ignore it after that.

Edited by GOF & Bacall