what makes caching fun for you

Bmxer11

Is it that really tough micro down the street, the one with the best scenery, or caches all together.

To me its the scenery and the cache itself. I enjoy finding regular sized caches, but the scenery is what makes it for me. I don't care if its a nano hanging in a tree at the top of the mountain. If I see animals and natural things then I am having fun.

So, what makes geocaching fun for you

I'm not sure if I'm normal because I like a lot of different things and all types of caches.

Sometimes I'm into numbers and don't care if a cache is on a guardrail at a shopping center, yet other times I want to do a long hike and am happy getting one or two that day.

Overall, though, I like that caching takes me to places that I wouldn't think about visiting otherwise. We recently went up to Portland, ME and spent the day exploring the city and the seacoast. Wow, Maine is pretty!

We liked it so much that we went back again and went up beyond Bangor out deep into the woods where there was nothing around except miles of dirt roads, turkeys, moose and dozens of large, lakes many miles long. It was beautiful.

If I hadn't been a cacher, I probably never would have thought about visiting there.

I like the numbers (when I have time), love watching my radius (from home and work).

But my favorit part is the rediculous mountain top caches. Only done a couple so far, but have some more lined up. It is realy just an excuse to get me out doing some climbing. I live climbing, but never got out before, but now I have some extra motivation.

Dont like: Dodging muggles, looking for caches that have been muggled, when I take the kids along if they are complaining (enjoy having them when they are happy).

Oh, I love it all.

Tramping through woodland in search of a large box,

tramping through London looking for boxes where millions of people have walked right by it in blissful ignorance,

caching with my children,

caching alone,

caching with my caching partner-in-crime,

hiding caches,

making sneaky caches... everything!

What's not to love?

Sometimes, it's an excuse for a trip, whether that trip is a detour of a few miles on my bike ride to/from work, a hike of several miles through the woods, or a drive to somewhere off the beaten path.

Sometimes, it's about interesting places, whether those places are historic, scenic, or artistic. (I especially enjoy caches that draw attention to public art.)

Sometimes, it's about the challenge, whether the challenge is solving a puzzle, finding a well-camouflaged cache, or retrieving a cleverly placed container. (I especially enjoy on-site puzzles and caches with 4-star camouflage.)

And sometimes it's about companionship, although I don't make it to events, unevents, and group hikes very often...

For our family, it's getting out together in an ACTIVITY. No TV most weekend days now. We're out & about.

For me, it's that competitive drive to get all I can. Be the first to find. And, the ones you have to work to get to.

Haven't been at it long at all. But, we're hooked. We're working on our pathtag now.

Edited by mwbeers

Leaving the responsibilities of work behind so I can play like a child.

The excuse for a road trip just to find a cache in a new state.

The wild turkey running across the road.

Finding new places.

Seeing something for the first time that I've look at a million times.

Spending time with my friends.

Laughing.

Edited by SgtSue

Geocaching to me should bring me to new and interesting places, which I would not otherwise visit. I also enjoy a good hike, so I like caches that draw me to good trails. Plus I enjoy the hunt for a good cache in an interesting place. I am content to find one good cache in a weekend rather than a 100 dull ones.

In fact, I have taken a break for geocaching for a while (about a year), because I found most of the really interesting caches in my area and most of ones left just did not appeal to me - such as looking for magnetic key holders under things. Just plain boring and no enjoyment. I'm just starting to go out more and am planning to place some new caches

To enjoy the scenery & wild life around me.

Is it that really tough micro down the street, the one with the best scenery, or caches all together.

To me its the scenery and the cache itself. I enjoy finding regular sized caches, but the scenery is what makes it for me. I don't care if its a nano hanging in a tree at the top of the mountain. If I see animals and natural things then I am having fun.

I like focusing on the hunt and totally forgetting about the rest of my life for a while.

I like seeing places I wouldn't have otherwise gone to.

I like the adventure of caches deep in the woods, far in on dirt roads.

I like the excuse to get out in my boat on a lake to get a boat-cache.

I like time spent with my sweetie driving around laughing, having a good time and looking for the next prey.

I like the extra exercise i get because of caching (you should have seen the route we took to that last one!!)

I like learning about the history of the area.

I love the tour it took us on when we were camping in an old mining area last summer.

I like seeing all the parks that I would have not otherwise seen.

I like the forums for something to do online that isn't spending money.

I've lived in this town for just over a year. Geocaching is a great way to acquaint myself with the area. I would never have found so many parks, reserves, forests, creeks, mountains and views if it wasn't for geocaching.

I moved to this area for the tranquility of the bush, to get away from the rat race. Geocaching is helping me find that tranquility.

<standing up> Hi, my name's Wendy, and I'm a geocacher. I've been caching now for 2 months. I've got about 25 finds, and I just placed my first hide.

Like Skippermark, I'm an omnivorous cacher. I like it all, and love that we have the variety to have different experiences depending on our mood, and the available time. But I think what I like best is the good times I have shared with my geopals, and meeting new ones at events or on the trails.

I like that it takes me outside home... I spend most of my time working on the computer, so it's great to have a compelling reason to go to a trail or park and do some activity. The thing is: my husband (we always go caching together) has a very physically demanding job - and all he wants on the weekends is to stay at home and relax. We try to balance, and it is still fun when we manage to go out together and look for the little hidden things :ph34r:

It's the thrill of the hunt!

That is definitely it for me too. I've thought long and hard about why I like geocaching. I can say the hiking, the new places, etc. but the thing is, I can do all that without ever going geocaching. It does help to have someone point out the interesting places to you, but if that is all there is, I could have gone Waymarking as well.

It's the thrill of the hunt!

That is definitely it for me too. I've thought long and hard about why I like geocaching. I can say the hiking, the new places, etc. but the thing is, I can do all that without ever going geocaching. It does help to have someone point out the interesting places to you, but if that is all there is, I could have gone Waymarking as well.

The hikes, the views, the great people, the inevitable surprises and the co-incidences.

1: Searching a cache in Portola, California which took me into a railroad museum >> you could actually drive a real live locomotive around the property. ( Yes, I like trains )

2: Searching a cache in Winslow, Arizona to discover that the primary structures at the site were twisted steel girders from the World Trade Center. Talk about a humbling moment. ( Yes, lump in throat )

3: Searching a cache in Gallup, New Mexico ... going to the Code Talkers Museum to find out that the date happened to be National Code Talkers Day and V.J. day. ( Yes, mind boggled )

Leaving the responsibilities of work behind so I can play like a child.

The excuse for a road trip just to find a cache in a new state.

The wild turkey running across the road.

Finding new places.

Seeing something for the first time that I've look at a million times.

Spending time with my friends.

Laughing.

What SgtSue said! Plus:

Soaking in the hot springs just up the road from a find (Twain, CA)

The herd of deer standing over GZ in WA that took off almost silently when we approached.

The 800 lb. range bull in the NV hills that didn't.

Plenty of badly-needed exercise! (Running away from 800 lb. range bulls burns up the calories)

Stopping on a road we drove on for decades to discover a lake we never knew was just behind the trees.

The absolute silence of the high desert on the NV-UT line.

Being 'buzzed' by the Navy Blue Angels Team as they were warming up for an air show at Fallon NV

Visiting a working gold mine in NV and an oil rig in WY

All this for the price of an eTrex Legend at a yard sale!

Sometimes it's the journey.

Other times its the destination.

No matter where you are, a cache is probably waiting.

Edited by 6079smithw

I've been backpacking since I was 5. Have trekked through all parts of this country over the years. But somewhere, I lost interest. It wasn't the love for it I lost, it was just the challenge of hitting the trail. But this is something I can do with the kids, to get out there and hit the trail again.