TT Maps

Hi all

I have seen lots of references to the TalkyToaster Maps so whats the deal?

I have an Oregon 300 with the OS 1:50K maps - are the TT ones better?

Better is subjective ;-)

However, if you have the OS Discoverer maps then you probably don't need the ones I compile.

The maps I compile are produced from the data from OpenStreetMap.org (OSM) and contour data from the Scottish Mountaineering Club (SCM). They are also FREE!

The main advantage of these maps is that they are dynamic and updated very frequently, the downside is that they are generally not as detailed as the proper OS maps you already have. However, in many cases they are better and more complete than the Garmin Topo GB maps (depending on where you use them).

I use both Discoverer (for out in the countryside) and the OSM ones I compile (as they are better for urban caching) on my Oregon 200.

More details can be found here: http://sites.google.com/site/talkytoasteruk/ukmaps

Oh yes, the Discoverer maps are RASTER based and therefore very jaggy (blurred) when zoomed in, whereas the OSM ones are VECTOR based and don't suffer from this issue.

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

Hi all

I have seen lots of references to the TalkyToaster Maps so whats the deal?

I have an Oregon 300 with the OS 1:50K maps - are the TT ones better?

However, if you have the OS Discoverer maps then you probably don't need the ones I compile.

You do yourself an injustice. I have the OS maps on my Oregon, but also have the free maps stored in the internal memory, as they are easier to read when "urban caching", so, IMHO, both sets of maps is ideal!

both maps have their advantages and disadvantages, the os ones are good till you zoom right down, this is where the OSM maps can carry on zooming in due to the rasters. Althrough the OSM are not 100% accurate and some mistakes exist, as more and more people use them and correct mistakes the better they become. Oh and before others mention it, OS maps are not 100% either.

I'm a big fan of TT's maps, but as he has said, they are hit and miss.

For example, I was caching around Rayleigh, Essex last weekend and the were large holes where new-ish housing estates were, no roads or paths. But that is unusual. :laughing:

The maps are only as good as us mortals who update paths etc on OSM

will these go on a garmin 60cs, Im not very techy?

Not as pre-compiled maps, no, as the 60CS only has 56MB of internal memory and no SD/MicroSD slot.

However, you can use the MapSource/BaseCamp versions I make available and then upload portions of the map to the internal memory.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Edited by talkytoaster

You do yourself an injustice. I have the OS maps on my Oregon, but also have the free maps stored in the internal memory, as they are easier to read when "urban caching", so, IMHO, both sets of maps is ideal!

What Stokesy says - much better for urban caching as they are not so cluttered as OS. I also prefer them when navigating by car, as the maps refresh much more quickly than OS do.

I have both on my Oregon and toggle between the two depending on what I'm up to and think both are good for good for different things.

Being a real technophobe I took the "We'll put it on a chip" version of the TT maps - cost me a few quid - but dadgum sight cheaper than the Garmin maps. Got the chip by return of post - along with idiot proof instructions (open back - place chip in slot - close back) WOO HOO !! works like a working thing from Worksop. Anyone with computer knowledge or with access to a teenage boy/girl will be able to download the same maps free. All I've got to do now is work out how to do the updates which are regularly put on to forums.

:unsure::unsure:

will these go on a garmin 60cs, Im not very techy?

Not as pre-compiled maps, no, as the 60CS only has 56MB of internal memory and no SD/MicroSD slot.

However, you can use the MapSource/BaseCamp versions I make available and then upload portions of the map to the internal memory.

Hope this helps?

Regards,

Martin

Thanks for replying. I think I need to read alot more.

I'm not very techy at all. I have a Summit HC with no SD slot. Will any version of these maps work on my GPSr? How much can you usually fit on?

I also have a Summit HC and I have been using TT's OSM maps for about two years (thanks a lot to TT).

For holidays I also make use of the OpenStreetMap of Europe.

You can load large chunks of the country eg I had 'South Pembrokeshire, the Gower Peninsula and the South East of London all loaded last week.

From the OSM for Europe, The Canary Islands / Majorca / Cyprus (including a large area around Gatwick) are all also easily loaded as individual Tiles.

Unfortunately I have found that you really do need to be a bit of a 'techy' to go through the process.

Somehow I manage to fumble my way through , but the results are definately well worth it.

I wouldn't be without.

I have the oregon 300 with national park maps installed as well as the base maps is is posible to load TT maps on the same unit and swap between the various maps as required? If so where should i load them and what should i call the file as i dont want to over write or corrupt the maps already installed.

Thanks in advance.

Yup, you would just enable and disable them in the Setup>Map>Mapinformation Select Map.

I have 1:50000, TT maps & Custom Maps on mine and all work as and when I want them

The other big plus for TT's maps is that it gives us another gps activity (or game to play) whilst our cacching. Let's face it we must be a bit tecci/nerdy to Geocache - using boy's toy's to find a hidden box of tat :ph34r::D .

Why not extend our nerdiness and upload the tracks we create when finding caches to add/correct missing paths/roads, etc.to the OSM? Not only does this contribute to the map but, who knows, one day you may even be able to apply the skills learned to volunteer and help save lives.

IMHO Martin's maps are BRILLIANT! :(:)

I have the oregon 300 with national park maps installed as well as the base maps is is posible to load TT maps on the same unit and swap between the various maps as required? If so where should i load them and what should i call the file as i dont want to over write or corrupt the maps already installed.

Thanks in advance.

Yup, you would just enable and disable them in the Setup>Map>Mapinformation Select Map.

I have 1:50000, TT maps & Custom Maps on mine and all work as and when I want them

Many thanks Dr Dick & Vic TT maps all loaded and working thanks for the help. :ph34r: Thanks also goes to Martin for all his hard work making these maps available to all.

Edited by shantz_uk_&_cleverclogs