GCF Memories COINTEST

DresselDragons

As everyone probably knows, I was one of those unfortunate souls that did not make it to GCF this year. So, please let me live vicariously thru you and your memories. Post your favorite GCF-SLC memory...with as much detail as possible (pictures would be cool too, but not needed)...just saying "My trade with Tsun", "Meeting Yime", etc will not cut it. I want to feel like I was there :P . The randomly chosen winner will receive a random amount of random coins (I am feeling random today). I will wait until Thursday, 8:00 PM EST to pick the winner.

There were lots of good times had at GCF. One funny thing that happened is when Sharon (ChiliPepperJeep) comes up to me and says (while pointing) "Kelly, who is that tall blond lady over there?" I reply "That's LoriDarlin." She gets all excited and says "That's my best friend!" They have been best friends for a really long time and had never met in person before.

Then there is seeing my good friend Jodi again and meeting Mal for the first time. It was so great seeing her smile all the time. She's so in love and that makes me happy.

Getting picked on by Yime and TMA was fun too. They'll probably say that I was being mean to them but that is completely untrue! :P

Best yet was getting text messages from dorkfish bragging about being in Hawaii.

Oh sure now you run a cointest after I've yapped away in all the other threads, lol.

Actually, it was your posts that inspired this one. So, feel free to repeat yourself or tell me something new (I do like the story about Yime and the bubble wrap...LOL).

That's cause you can soooooo picture him doing it, lol.

Ok, 1 last story and then I promise I'll shut up, lmao (at least for tonight - can you tell I had a good time?) That and I'm eating nutella packets right now and am on sugar overload :D

Not really playing in the cointest but just yapping for fun.

When I finally did get to the hotel, I was really impressed with how fancy it was. Now keep in mind Montana doesn't have super fancy hotels. We have fancy log lodges, you know wild, country pictuesque type stuff. Anything over 3 floors is unheard of, lol.

So I check in and they hand me my card and say you're on the 12th floor, room #1204. I asked the guy, well how many floors you got here and he say's 12. He told me we'removing you from the 9th floor to the 12th and I was kinda ticked off about it to tell the truth. I had an entire pickup truck full of heavy boxes of coins and it took me 8 loads to the truck using handcarts when I left. I was thinking; "great, stuck on the stupid top floor and it will take me forever to haul it all up and then back down for the event, back up when I'm done and back down when I go home. But me being the wonderful non-complaining Montanan I am, I suck it up and head to the elevator.

I get in and I'm pushing #12 and the stupid button won't light up. The door was closed and I started to have a small anxiety attack cause I thought the elevator broke and I might be trapped inside (honest, with as crappy as my drive had been and getting misguided, I was convinced it was not my night). I pushed the "open door" button and thank goodness it opened. There was a bell boy out there waiting. I asked him if he wanted in and he said he would wait as he had a cart full of stuff and I had bags with me. I pushed 12 again and it would not light up and the elevator would not work. The door opened again and the bell boy was still there. The door shut again and i was still pushing the button and now I was getting ticked off. The door opened again and the same bell boy was there. I smiled and told him I thought the elevator or the button was broke because I couldn't get it to move (all the while feeling like a complete idiot). He politely smiles and say's you're on the penthouse floor, you need to use your key card and then press the button.

I smiled and told the bell boy, "I'm country kid from Montana, we don't have stuff like this there, lol" and he politely smiled back and I can only imagine what he was thinking. I put the key card in the slot and pushed the button and it still wouldn't work. The polite bell boy took the card from me, put the card in, removed it and then pushed the button. #12 lit up :huh: I said "thank you". The doors closed and I felt really stupid, lol. (it took me until the last day on the morning I left, to figure out the right combination to get that 12 button it up. I swear I got in more times and could not get it to work right.

Anyhow, I get up to the 12th floor and start looking for my room. I walked, and walked and walked some more. Where is my room? All the way on the freakin end of the 12th floor! I was like, are you kidding me? Why does this have to happen to me, I had more crap packed in my truck not to mention the banner displays I built for Yime and me and those were 8 foot long each. I resigned myself to being another hour late to the event while I unloaded stuff. Then I got mad and went to the event anyhow without unloading cause i didn't want to miss anything else.

I was graciously greeted by some of my coiner friends who willingly volunteered to help bring up stuff. I think there were 8 or 9 of us that all grabbed stuff and hauled it to the 12th floor. When I told them about my special penthouse room and how you needed the key card to get up there, they got a kick out of it and joked that I was purposely put up there so no one could bother me before the event :P

I'd a been happy on the 9th floor where almost everyone else was :P

I also ordered room service after the event cause I was starving and you know they call you about a half hour after your done eating to ask how your meal was and if it was satisfactory? I was like dadgum, good thing they don't know when I'm using the toilet, lol. I was totally unaccustomed to the fancy treatment. I either need to quit camping so much or get out to nicer places, lol.

Edited by tsunrisebey

One more quickie than I PROMISE I am going to force myself to stop, cause I gotta go to work in the morning, lol.

Not so much funny as neat.

JohnMac56 came up to my booth when things were a bit quieter and he holds out his hand and says something like, "this is one of my favorite coins" and in his hand is the Lump of Coal ET. I thought it was pretty cool he was carrying it around. You just never know what people are going to love :D

Ok, goodnight everyone, thanks for putting up with me and all my crazy postings. At least everyone gets the idea that I had a good time and am easily excitable :P

tsun

I have a memory of GCF and I wasn't there! We got home from holidays Sat. night and I tucked into bed quite late...just got sleeping when my mobile started ringing! lo and behold there's Jodi all the way from SLC asking me what finish of Yime I wanted...well I said 'Gold' which is strange because I just don't like Gold finishes and don't have many...then I told her to give Dave a nice big kiss from me and she said..'do you know Dave?' and I said, 'no, do you' and she said, 'just from last night'...lol... I almost peed the bed when I said 'then it shouldn't be a problem!' God, she'll never buy coins for me again I think but in my defense I was sleeping... :P

It's hard to pick one so I'll share a few ;-)

We were some of the people that helped tsun unload her truck of coins and haul them to the 12th floor. We were all joking that if we all ran off withthe loot in different directions, she wouldn't be able to catch us all! (After seeing her line at the event, I kinda wish we would have!)

Another memory is finding out that it was Rick's (Mr. BRoKeN W's) birthday and threatening him with a bday spanking. I finally caught him off guard at the end of the evening Friday night and gave him a big smack on the a**. He turned all shades of red and now probably has a sexual harassment order against me. It was worth it though ;-) (thanks for being a good sport Rick!)

My favorite memory though is probably the poker game. At GW6, a few cachers from my area had signed up for the poker game, but most of us didn't really know how to play, so we got together one night and played. None of us ended up doing well at GW6, but we had so much fun playing together that we decided to make it a monthly occurrence. Now 10 of us get together once a month and play Texas Hold'em, each of us putting in one geocoin as the ante and the top 3 places split the pot.

At GCF, myself (Corey) and 2 other people (Steve and Denise from Shaggy, Scooby, and Velma) from the monthly group made the final table! It was very cool to be there with my poker buddies! To top it off, I placed 3rd and Denise placed 2nd! I was just thrilled we made the final 8, but having 2 of us place was just awesome!!

I have lots of small memories, like meeting MustangJoni and us looking at each other's tags and saying "I know you!" and getting a big Joni hug! :huh: And seeing a secret coin from a secret person behind a booth that is going to be absolutely stunning but I can't say anymore!

However, the coolest memory I have is of the first night. We went to Olive Garden for dinner after Eli had to practically drag me out of the pre-registration hall. Every time I'd say "okay let's go eat" I'd move a foot and see more coins to look at!!

Once we got to Olive Garden, there was a wait. We sat down, and the people next to us also had GCF nametags. We started talking about coins and caching and what all was going on. After about five minutes, their name was called. Eli and I continued to wait for our table.

However, just a couple of minutes later, a waitress came and asked us if we'd been talking to a family of three. We said we had, and she said that they'd invited us to sit at their table for dinner!

So we ate dinner with this great family and learned about the service dogs the mom trained and all the coins their son wanted to create.

We met up with them later at the con, and had a great time together comparing coins and trades and winning raffle items (including our 25 lbs cast-iron dutch oven set which we ended up not even trying to get on the plane! (thanks Marky for driving it back to Cali for us!)) After the day wore on, the son left for the kid area and I went back to the vendor tables.

Near dinner, the son came back with his bear he'd created at the kid area (they had a stuff-a-bear thingie there) and he was telling me about how you could write a wish on a star and put it inside the bear. I asked him if he'd wished for more geocoins, and he said that's exactly what he'd wished for. :P

A bit later he told me he wanted to give me the bear to remember the fun times we'd had together which was the sweetest thing ever!! I named the bear after him, and now he is my caching bear. :P I took it on the caching bus (which the mom and son were able to crash and come with us!) and now I'm working on getting a dog tag to make my caching bear trackable. :P

I have other great memories as well, like I said. I loved meeting Write Shop Robert and seeing his new personals, going through his jar of coins and hearing his great stories. :D

The trax challenge was fantastic, and I met a slew of new friends there, including Shaker-slc who talked to me about World of Warcraft that he played to connect with his sons.

Basically every time I'd be wandering around and I'd see a name I recognized from the forums I'd get a huge smile on my face and go introduce myself. :D I loved every minute of it. :)

Whew, finally home! Lots of great memories for sure.

Best yet was getting text messages from dorkfish bragging about being in Hawaii.

Yeah, it was kinda futile telling dorkfish "Wish You Were Here", when she was in Hawaii. She rubbed it in by sending an SMS picture of a beautiful beach under some billowy clouds with an expletive just for an extra kick in the teeth. And for the record, you WERE picking on me, and I cried a little coz I'm sensitive. How ya feel now, ya big meanie?

I have a memory of GCF and I wasn't there! We got home from holidays Sat. night and I tucked into bed quite late...just got sleeping when my mobile started ringing! lo and behold there's Jodi all the way from SLC asking me what finish of Yime I wanted...well I said 'Gold' which is strange because I just don't like Gold finishes and don't have many...then I told her to give Dave a nice big kiss from me and she said..'do you know Dave?' and I said, 'no, do you' and she said, 'just from last night'...lol... I almost peed the bed when I said 'then it shouldn't be a problem!' God, she'll never buy coins for me again I think but in my defense I was sleeping... :blink:

And if I wasn't so busy at the time, I'da got that smooch. :o Hope ya like the coin!

Plenty of good memories. Yeah, there's the bubble wrap incident, but hey...she just looked like she needed a little tug away from reality. :(

The night before, me, Tsun and Redwing_Dave unloaded the big wooden posts Tsun made for our tables. (Shoulda seen the look on the driver's face in the garage when I lifted one up like a crossing gate to let him pass) But it was even funnier seeing the three of us trying to fit those in the elevator without impaling each other. :D

Still not sure how I made the final table in the Poker Tourney, but that was a blast with Lori, Kim, Alan, Corey, Denise, Mark and Pete. Congrats again to the big three winners!

But I'd have to say my bestest memory was when Georgia came over and gave me a little black pouch containing the sample coins from the "COOL" coin we did as part of the COin Ordering Liaison Group back in 2006. I can't even begin to describe how heartfelt a gesture that was, and how exceptional Georgia's efforts were in general. I hope I didn't squeeze ya too hard, Georgia, but that was something special coming from you.

This was an amazing event, driven by a dedicated crew of volunteers that pulled off something truly memorable for all of us! :unsure:

We came into SLC in the dark. One of my favorite memories of the event was pulling open the curtains in our room on Saturday morning and seeing those mountains out there. SLC is such a cool place, I really wish my schedule had worked out better to be able to enjoy the caching and city more.

Talk about a great event guys, the planning team, vendors, everyone - really outdid themselves from previous years.

My second favorite "memory" from the weekend was just stepping back to look at it all. Here's this seriously legit event, taking place in a seriously legit hotel. I remember 2006 in Temecula, I think there were 5 vendors and honestly - we looked like a giant yard sale. In that relatively brief span of time, the bar has come up so high on our little niche community it's amazing. It really made me proud to look around and see us looking so polished and professional.

(quick edit: This is not to bag on previous years, just to say "we've come a long way fellas".)

As usual, it was great to meet everyone and fill in the blanks for faces to names with the people you talk with all the time on forums, email, facebook, etc. but rarely get to see.

The poker game was a ton of fun to watch, and a great way to decompress at the end of the day. Word to the wise when you're in SLC though: Eat before 10pm :( Or you should plan on eating at Carl's Jr :D

Edited by trippy1976

I am a local who went to the event and had a blast. The event planners have worked hard on planning this. There have been many who have helped to pull this off. It was nice meeting cachers who I have heard about from other states and ones I knew when I lived in CA. Plus seeing the other locals was cool too. The photo hunt and the trax challenge was a lot of fun. After attending this event, I want to see if I can get to the next Geowoodstock. My 9 year old son, who caches with me, didn't want to leave.

I got burnt out on geocoins after a bunch of mine went missing, but after winning a coin in a contest and being given a new Groundspeak Lackey coin from Brian, I decided to buy the events coins to keep in my collection.

Oh!!! I wish I had even a tiny memory of an event! I have never been in one! Here in Greece things are different... there were 2 meetings far away from home (you have to take a ship for 20 or more hours or you can go by airplane but it is too expensive!), but even these were made before I was a geocacher! I didn't even know this game! :D

I would love one day to meet all of you... the persons that I can recognize only from the avantars.... the people who I have as good friends here, but I never had the chance to meet them!!!

Sometimes, I see your galery photos so I can put a face in you....

I am reading logs from events, I see photos, I see many happy faces that have a great time.... I admit I am a little jealous but in a good way! I wanted to be there with you guys!!!

Well...you can not have it all in your life! but who knows... maybe in the future things will change!!!

At least I am so happy that this year I met 4 geocachers and saw other 2 but realised that they were geocachers tooooooo late!!! :(

I feel great that I met them! I wanted that so much!! Sometimes I feel lonely here!!! :unsure: So... I am sure you all can imagine how I would feel and what memories I would have had if I was in one of your great events!!!

I do not know if that post will consider to be an entry! I do not think because I do not have a memory... but I had to post here! :blink:

Thank you my friend for this great cointest! Now I can read more about the memories you all have from the events and Maybe with the help of my mind and my crazy fantasy... I will travel with you in these events, like I was there too! :o

Good luck to all, and congratulations to the winner! ;)

Another memory is finding out that it was Rick's (Mr. BRoKeN W's) birthday and threatening him with a bday spanking. I finally caught him off guard at the end of the evening Friday night and gave him a big smack on the a**. He turned all shades of red and now probably has a sexual harassment order against me. It was worth it though ;-) (thanks for being a good sport Rick!)

:D That was so funny! I'm so horrible for encouraging. :unsure: Rick's lawyer said that he can actually sue you for sexual assault. :( Just kidding!

Wow, what a hard choice to have to make.. So many good memories from this event and you want me to try and choose just one... Let me give this a little thought...

One of my favorite memories from Geocoinfest 2009 would have to be before they opened the doors and let us in. We had gotten to the event a little early due to there being not as much traffic as was expected. We then found great parking which made the start of the day that much better. When we finally got into the hotel and up to the floor where the event was being held we noticed that we were a bit early and headed over to wait for the doors to open.

While standing there waiting for them to let us in, out pops a full-sized Signal the Frog! I thought that was pretty cool, however Johnslady56 tried to hide from Signal (she has a bit of a fear of people in costume). While Signal was playing hide and seek with her I was giggling and laughing (oh how I wish I had brought the camera). When she (Johnslady56) finally came out of hiding and returned to where I was waiting she was still frightened by our favorite frog, but she finally steeled herself enough to look at Signal and get his tracking number.

For the rest of the event she made it a game of avoiding Signal. I don't think she ever let her guard down, every time that Signal was around, Johnslady56 was alway somewhere else.

Wow, what a hard choice to have to make.. So many good memories from this event and you want me to try and choose just one... Let me give this a little thought...

One of my favorite memories from Geocoinfest 2009 would have to be before they opened the doors and let us in. We had gotten to the event a little early due to there being not as much traffic as was expected. We then found great parking which made the start of the day that much better. When we finally got into the hotel and up to the floor where the event was being held we noticed that we were a bit early and headed over to wait for the doors to open.

While standing there waiting for them to let us in, out pops a full-sized Signal the Frog! I thought that was pretty cool, however Johnslady56 tried to hide from Signal (she has a bit of a fear of people in costume). While Signal was playing hide and seek with her I was giggling and laughing (oh how I wish I had brought the camera). When she (Johnslady56) finally came out of hiding and returned to where I was waiting she was still frightened by our favorite frog, but she finally steeled herself enough to look at Signal and get his tracking number.

For the rest of the event she made it a game of avoiding Signal. I don't think she ever let her guard down, every time that Signal was around, Johnslady56 was alway somewhere else.

:D I wish I had seen that! Are you sure the Mrs. isn't going to be mad at you for posting that? :( To make her feel better tell her that I run from clowns. They scare the crap out of me!

:D I wish I had seen that! Are you sure the Mrs. isn't going to be mad at you for posting that? :( To make her feel better tell her that I run from clowns. They scare the crap out of me!

I don't think she will be too mad at me for posting it here where we are all friends... And she too is deathly afraid of clowns...

Check out this post about her fear of clowns and the terrible things I do...

Jolly Joker cointest - Post #20

:unsure::blink::o

Just to show you how crazy we coiners are;

I’ve been dying to get my hands on a DeLorme v1 or v2 Eartha coin since acquiring their PN-20 GPS earlier this year. At GCF I discovered DeLorme was raffling off items including several COINS. I was hooked. I bought raffle tickets and entered the ‘Match the Picture Challenge’. Come Saturday they started pulling names for the DeLorme items. I just knew one of those coins was mine. As I watched the last coin being placed in the hands of another I gave up hope. A little disappointed I returned my attention back to trading coins and chatting. It wasn’t until someone at the table pointed at me saying, “That’s you!” They had just called my name from the podium. Seems I had won a new PN-40 GPS. For a moment, a very short moment, I had almost wished it was a coin.

I got home late last night and it will take a few days to get over this event.

What a wonderful time meeting so many of you there.

It would be impossible for me to choose just one wonderful memory.

I have about 100 since i was able to hand out 100 free trackable Geocoins for the kids along with a unstuffed animal they where able to stuff with a bear machine i took there.

It was so amazing to see all the kids pack these animals and coins around all day and smile from ear to ear.

I will try to get some better photos posted after i get caught up on some rest.

I was very happy to get a a GCF kids coin from OAKCOINS in the mail when i got home with my name on it :Df1c6790c-9a77-43c2-ba33-e64282376eae.jpg

Edited by River Cacher

I got home late last night and it will take a few days to get over this event.

What a wonderful time meeting so many of you there.

It would be impossible for me to choose just one wonderful memory.

I have about 100 since i was able to hand out 100 free trackable Geocoins for the kids along with a unstuffed animal they where able to stuff with a bear machine i took there.

It was so amazing to see all the kids pack these animals and coins around all day and smile from ear to ear.

I will try to get some better photos posted after i get caught up on some rest.

I was very happy to get a a GCF kids coin from OAKCOINS in the mail when i got home with my name on it :Df1c6790c-9a77-43c2-ba33-e64282376eae.jpg

THAT is awesome, Mike and YOU deserve it !

So many good memories. I finally met TSUN (Steph) as she paused from the selling frenzy to eat some potato chips. Got to meet Yemon Yime as well, that was awesome, especially since he saved my pirate bag of coins from being abandoned at his booth. The Trax challenge was awesome, me and R0ckM0nkey had a blast with a bunch of cachers on that one.

Speaking of R0ckm0nkey, this is where my favorite memory comes from. I was busy shmoozing eith the other cachers, but every time I went into the Kids Room he was busy...and having a great time. He played a bazillion games of bingo (his words), got a stuffed giraffe which he gave to his little sister, and had fun with the cache-u-nut that was there (I forget the number). I was really worried he'd be bored all day, but he had a blast, and wants to know when the next one is. From a 9 year old that has a hard time paying attention to anything other than video games, that's saying alot.

I have to give out a heartfelt "Thank You" to Rivercacher and his band of volunteers. I know everyone on the commitee and all the other volunteers did a great deal of work, and I appreciate them as well. But the Kid's Room staff made it possible for the parents that attended to do what they came to do, and not have to worry about entertaining thier kids. You guys rock!

Edited by Clan Doyle

Oh sure now you run a cointest after I've yapped away in all the other threads, lol.

Actually, it was your posts that inspired this one. So, feel free to repeat yourself or tell me something new (I do like the story about Yime and the bubble wrap...LOL).

That's cause you can soooooo picture him doing it, lol.

Ok, 1 last story and then I promise I'll shut up, lmao (at least for tonight - can you tell I had a good time?) That and I'm eating nutella packets right now and am on sugar overload :laughing:

Not really playing in the cointest but just yapping for fun.

When I finally did get to the hotel, I was really impressed with how fancy it was. Now keep in mind Montana doesn't have super fancy hotels. We have fancy log lodges, you know wild, country pictuesque type stuff. Anything over 3 floors is unheard of, lol.

So I check in and they hand me my card and say you're on the 12th floor, room #1204. I asked the guy, well how many floors you got here and he say's 12. He told me we'removing you from the 9th floor to the 12th and I was kinda ticked off about it to tell the truth. I had an entire pickup truck full of heavy boxes of coins and it took me 8 loads to the truck using handcarts when I left. I was thinking; "great, stuck on the stupid top floor and it will take me forever to haul it all up and then back down for the event, back up when I'm done and back down when I go home. But me being the wonderful non-complaining Montanan I am, I suck it up and head to the elevator.

I get in and I'm pushing #12 and the stupid button won't light up. The door was closed and I started to have a small anxiety attack cause I thought the elevator broke and I might be trapped inside (honest, with as crappy as my drive had been and getting misguided, I was convinced it was not my night). I pushed the "open door" button and thank goodness it opened. There was a bell boy out there waiting. I asked him if he wanted in and he said he would wait as he had a cart full of stuff and I had bags with me. I pushed 12 again and it would not light up and the elevator would not work. The door opened again and the bell boy was still there. The door shut again and i was still pushing the button and now I was getting ticked off. The door opened again and the same bell boy was there. I smiled and told him I thought the elevator or the button was broke because I couldn't get it to move (all the while feeling like a complete idiot). He politely smiles and say's you're on the penthouse floor, you need to use your key card and then press the button.

I smiled and told the bell boy, "I'm country kid from Montana, we don't have stuff like this there, lol" and he politely smiled back and I can only imagine what he was thinking. I put the key card in the slot and pushed the button and it still wouldn't work. The polite bell boy took the card from me, put the card in, removed it and then pushed the button. #12 lit up :) I said "thank you". The doors closed and I felt really stupid, lol. (it took me until the last day on the morning I left, to figure out the right combination to get that 12 button it up. I swear I got in more times and could not get it to work right.

Anyhow, I get up to the 12th floor and start looking for my room. I walked, and walked and walked some more. Where is my room? All the way on the freakin end of the 12th floor! I was like, are you kidding me? Why does this have to happen to me, I had more crap packed in my truck not to mention the banner displays I built for Yime and me and those were 8 foot long each. I resigned myself to being another hour late to the event while I unloaded stuff. Then I got mad and went to the event anyhow without unloading cause i didn't want to miss anything else.

I was graciously greeted by some of my coiner friends who willingly volunteered to help bring up stuff. I think there were 8 or 9 of us that all grabbed stuff and hauled it to the 12th floor. When I told them about my special penthouse room and how you needed the key card to get up there, they got a kick out of it and joked that I was purposely put up there so no one could bother me before the event :D

I'd a been happy on the 9th floor where almost everyone else was :)

I also ordered room service after the event cause I was starving and you know they call you about a half hour after your done eating to ask how your meal was and if it was satisfactory? I was like dadgum, good thing they don't know when I'm using the toilet, lol. I was totally unaccustomed to the fancy treatment. I either need to quit camping so much or get out to nicer places, lol.

Oh, that's a good one...did you know that the Bellboy would have hauled all your stuff up there for you?? They also would have moved you to a room by the Elevator if you asked.

i have many memories of gcf....

this was my first mega event and had no idea of what to expect. we arrived on friday and before we unloaded the car headed out on the Trax challenge. i had a great time on the train. i met several other cachers while going up and down the tracks. i even met fossillady who had just sent a mission to me. it is so nice to put a person with a name.

during the ride one of my friends was left at a station. she did catch up at the next stop, but for the rest of the weekend i kept hearing "where's Holly?" it was like looking for waldo all weekend.

meeting all of the people who make the coins on saturday was really great. i made a few trades even though i had never done that in person before. it was a little intimidating. i will be better at the next event.

the people who i traveled from las vegas with are not into coins the way i am, so they would go out and cache and have to pull me from the room filled with pretty shiney objects in order to eat. it wasn't just the vendors who were not eating. that room was just too much fun to leave.

thank you for all of the work done by the planning committee. the kids room was great rivercacher. broken w and georgia thanks for how smoothly everything ran. it was great.

yes tsun you were placed on the top floor for security reasons. they knew people would try to get to you early and wanted to provide you protection. :D

i have many memories of gcf....

this was my first mega event and had no idea of what to expect. we arrived on friday and before we unloaded the car headed out on the Trax challenge. i had a great time on the train. i met several other cachers while going up and down the tracks. i even met fossillady who had just sent a mission to me. it is so nice to put a person with a name.

during the ride one of my friends was left at a station. she did catch up at the next stop, but for the rest of the weekend i kept hearing "where's Holly?" it was like looking for waldo all weekend.

meeting all of the people who make the coins on saturday was really great. i made a few trades even though i had never done that in person before. it was a little intimidating. i will be better at the next event.

the people who i traveled from las vegas with are not into coins the way i am, so they would go out and cache and have to pull me from the room filled with pretty shiney objects in order to eat. it wasn't just the vendors who were not eating. that room was just too much fun to leave.

thank you for all of the work done by the planning committee. the kids room was great rivercacher. broken w and georgia thanks for how smoothly everything ran. it was great.

yes tsun you were placed on the top floor for security reasons. they knew people would try to get to you early and wanted to provide you protection. :laughing:

OH NO!!!! There's Holly :D

I could not beleive we left her behind.

I am so glad we did not lose her forever.

Her and others made it possible for the kids room to be a hit like it was.

It does take a lot of planning for a event like this but without people like her it would not be what it was at all.

I hope she and others who helped in the kids room realize how happy they made these kids.

I also got so lucky to meet up with Fossillady and her son TahoeRatboy because this guy was amazing at how much he helped me out.

I would do this all over in a minute with people like this helping.

People like this are the back bones to making a event a success. THANKS SO MUCH!

What great stories! It sounds like an awesome time was had by all. Thanks to everyone who posted. In continuing in my random theme...I had each of my girls draw numbers, so we'll have to winners instead of just one. And they are...drumroll please...1) JohnMac56 and 2) anne.and.eli. Please drop me an email thru my profile, and I will throw some random coins into envelopes for both of ya.

What great stories! It sounds like an awesome time was had by all. Thanks to everyone who posted. In continuing in my random theme...I had each of my girls draw numbers, so we'll have to winners instead of just one. And they are...drumroll please...1) JohnMac56 and 2) anne.and.eli. Please drop me an email thru my profile, and I will throw some random coins into envelopes for both of ya.

Thanks for the cointest! Congrats JohnMac56 and anne.and.eli!

As usual, I'm late and the contest is over.

Thanks for the contest and congrats to the winners!

We were busy during GCF, and when we could, we really enjoyed meeting and talking to folks.

I have to say my best memory was the day after, at a hiking event, when we could relax and enjoy the company.

Only wish more people could have joined us.

GC1YQ2Q

368c92e2-7c44-4f24-b9a1-50bef8119318.jpg

:D

As usual, I'm late and the contest is over.

Thanks for the contest and congrats to the winners!

We were busy during GCF, and when we could, we really enjoyed meeting and talking to folks.

I have to say my best memory was the day after, at a hiking event, when we could relax and enjoy the company.

Only wish more people could have joined us.

GC1YQ2Q

368c92e2-7c44-4f24-b9a1-50bef8119318.jpg

:D

I wanted to, but I was on the cache bus.

Oh my goodness! I've been at a conference and just got back and saw that I won!!! That totally surprised me, but thank you very much! I will send you my info right now. :D

Thanks again to everyone who had a part in making GCF amazinnngggggg and thank you to DresselDragons for a fun cointest. :rolleyes: I had a great time reading everyone's responses.

This is the first time I've had a chance to log into the forums for a couple of days due to some LONG days at work (trying to play catch up) since coming back from GCF and what a wonderful surprise I find here. I decided to check in and read some of the other stories from GCF and I found out I was one of the winners of this cointest! Thanks for putting on this great cointest Lenore, I have had a blast reading the stories that others had posted. I too would also like to thank all of the folks that put their hearts and souls into making GCF such a wonderful event. Being my first Mega event, GCF 2009 will always hold a special place in my memories, and whatever coin I recieve from this great cointest will always make me think back to the event....