Micro near bridge

On a recent find we found a micro below a highway bridge near (5') a bridge support.

We always thought ANY cache near a bridge was a bad idea and probably contrary to guidelines.

Should this be archived ?

Not to sound mean or anything but why are you sweating it?

Is there a real reason why you think it should be archived (guidelines aside)?

Note that the guidelines say "highway bridge," not just "bridge." There's a big difference between a bridge carrying a sleepy two lane county road across a fishing creek, vs. a bridge carrying a major commuter route over an interstate highway.

We also don't know whether permission was given, or any other special circumstances.

So, the answer to your question is, "it depends."

While it might not be a good idea to hide a regular size cache near a bridge for a major thoroughfare, due to today's media fed public paranoia, I wouldn't think a micro, near a rural bridge would be a problem. I can't speak to the thought process behind the section of the guidelines which advise against hides near bridges, but it seems like a perception issue more than anything. If Joe Public sees a film can tucked into the beams of an ole wooden bridge leading down a quite country road, what are the odds he's gonna think "BOMB!"? I'd think the odds would be a lot higher if Joe saw an ammo can, replete with military markings, stuck to a pillar of the Golden Gate Bridge.

You've presumably seen the cache, so the ball's in your court. Do you think it represents a danger to our activity or the public welfare? If so, submit your concerns, as well as some pics of the cache, its hiding spot and the bridge in general to the reviewer who published it and let them decide. If not, log your find, collect your smiley and move on. :P

While it might not be a good idea to hide a regular size cache near a bridge for a major thoroughfare, due to today's media fed public paranoia, I wouldn't think a micro, near a rural bridge would be a problem. I can't speak to the thought process behind the section of the guidelines which advise against hides near bridges, but it seems like a perception issue more than anything. If Joe Public sees a film can tucked into the beams of an ole wooden bridge leading down a quite country road, what are the odds he's gonna think "BOMB!"? I'd think the odds would be a lot higher if Joe saw an ammo can, replete with military markings, stuck to a pillar of the Golden Gate Bridge.

You've presumably seen the cache, so the ball's in your court. Do you think it represents a danger to our activity or the public welfare? If so, submit your concerns, as well as some pics of the cache, its hiding spot and the bridge in general to the reviewer who published it and let them decide. If not, log your find, collect your smiley and move on. :P

One thing to remember is that there are people who inspect bridges periodically regardless of whether or not it is an interstate. I had a small cache that went missing after several years. It was in a place that nobody would go other than geocachers - or bridge inspectors. Heck, geocachers had a hard time finding the thing. I suspect a bridge inspector found it and removed it.

In some cases inspectors may determine it to be a "suspicious package" even if it's a micro and you have bridge closures and and a major news event. Not a good thing.

Edited by briansnat

The only problem with checking with the local reviewer, is that that is who most likely passed the thing to begin with. They published it, so evidently they though it was OK.

I'm beginning to wonder if some of these caches shouldn't be reconsidered in light of the recent bomb squad activities.

I found a cache last weekend that is at a major city power station.

It was placed in a pipe in a hole in the ground (most likely pre-existing).

When pulled out it was a tube covered in duct tape with no geocache markings.

Even looked like a pipe bomb to me.

(wait, maybe that's not saying much because I've never seen a pipe bomb)

I got out a felt-pen and marked the thing "geocache" at the risk of making the cache owner mad, but better that than making the bomb squad mad.

Who is reviewing these things?

The only problem with checking with the local reviewer, is that that is who most likely passed the thing to begin with. They published it, so evidently they though it was OK.

I'm beginning to wonder if some of these caches shouldn't be reconsidered in light of the recent bomb squad activities.

I found a cache last weekend that is at a major city power station.

It was placed in a pipe in a hole in the ground (most likely pre-existing).

When pulled out it was a tube covered in duct tape with no geocache markings.

Even looked like a pipe bomb to me.

(wait, maybe that's not saying much because I've never seen a pipe bomb)

I got out a felt-pen and marked the thing "geocache" at the risk of making the cache owner mad, but better that than making the bomb squad mad.

Who is reviewing these things?

Unless the owner told the reviewer it looked like a bomb or supplied a photo there is no way he could know.

The power station might not be readily identifiable on a map either. On the surface it does sound like a bad container in a bad location.

Yeah, that helps. Someone placing a bomb would never think to make it look like something else.

Seems like a real waste of good paranoia to sweat these things.

This 4 lane bridge span crosses an active RR line (250' away), a Interstate highway (400' away) and is a significant feeder to that highway.

The film canister was placed in a haphazard manner that it could be mistaken for trash and may not last more than a few months.

So based on Keystone's 'it depends', we'll copy the reviewer on this thread and leave it to them.

We were concerned whether a cacher seeking this could be considered a 'suspicious person'.

This 4 lane bridge span crosses an active RR line (250' away), a Interstate highway (400' away) and is a significant feeder to that highway.

The film canister was placed in a haphazard manner that it could be mistaken for trash and may not last more than a few months.

So based on Keystone's 'it depends', we'll copy the reviewer on this thread and leave it to them.

We were concerned whether a cacher seeking this could be considered a 'suspicious person'.

GC1ZG7K

Considering that it has the word "Bridge" right in the cache name, and the reviewer has access to the same arial photos that we have, and it is a recent hide, I think its safe to assume that the reviewer was aware of the location. All the same, a note to the reviewer would not be out of place, I suppose.

GC1ZG7K

Considering that it has the word "Bridge" right in the cache name, and the reviewer has access to the same arial photos that we have, and it is a recent hide, I think its safe to assume that the reviewer was aware of the location. All the same, a note to the reviewer would not be out of place, I suppose.

The coordinates show the cache to be slightly away from the bridge on what looks like a pedestrian sidewalk ... if it's under the bridge now, maybe it migrated, or maybe the coords are slightly fudged?

If there's a sidewalk there, you aren't likely to look suspicious.

What do I know, I'm just a noob. :D

Edited by tekkguy

The coordinates show the cache to be slightly away from the bridge on what looks like a pedestrian sidewalk ... if it's under the bridge now, maybe it migrated, or maybe the coords are slightly fudged?

If there's a sidewalk there, you aren't likely to look suspicious.

What do I know, I'm just a noob. :(

Yes, there is a sidewalk there, one must step a couple of feet off and past the bridge piling to locate cache.

Hard to get good readings under a bridge :D

You forget the power substation (200') and the playground (350')

32c5bf4f-73f4-497c-9a70-b68bf2c372e1.jpg

This looks to be a prime target! :D

Edited by Downy288

You forget the power substation (200') and the playground (350')

32c5bf4f-73f4-497c-9a70-b68bf2c372e1.jpg

This looks to be a prime target! :D

All i see in the picture is a bridge, don't see the cell phone towers or the water filtration plant :(

1. Use common sense. Don't make the cache look like a bomb. (PVC pipe, ammo can, unlabeled container)

2. Use common sense. Don't forget to label your container clearly as a geocache, a game piece, a non threatening little container full of McSwag. Add smiley faces if it will help.

3. Use common sense. Don't place it in a sensitive area, ie: major bridge/thoroughfare/school grounds/power plant/terrorist target.

4. Use common sense. Don't hide crappy hides under crappy bridges, only really cool bridges should apply.

5. Use COMMON SENSE! Hide something others would like to find and not feel like an idiot, or a suspect, while looking for it.