Boots that hold up in Rocksylvania

flaffle

I'm looking for advice for those who have experience backpacking/hiking in Rocksylvanian (aka Pennsylvania). I've been taking some backpacking trips on the AT and Tuscarora trail and just am getting my feet killed on the rocks that we call trails.

Right now I'm using Keen Targehee Mid which are great for weekend warrioring on non-rock trails.

I'm guessing I need a boot with a thicker sole and more ankle support but any insight from people who have experience hiking here is appreciated. These are the trails that "boots go to die" on. I'd like to save my feet and shins from the same fate.

Difficulty: I'm a 6.5 wide female and am looking to spend around $150 - $200.

My favorite place to play...

Those infamous "point-side up" rocks in Pennsylvania and North Jersey are real boot-cutters, aren't they ?

If "getting my feet killed" is sore feet, there's not much you really can do, other than start with low miles, working your way up to high (with weight.)

"Conditioning" is required to make it on the AT. Many through-hikers have callous' by the time they hit Jersey/Pennsy and all have become "conditioned."

If, however, you have wimpy, way-too-flexible footwear, I may be able to help... :P

Dry weather , my favorite is a Merrell Sawtooth. Thick, hard, agressive tread, good cushion inside, nice cushion out. I believe this is the perfect tread for this area.

They do have women's sizes and (as I) usually fit a wide.

I believe they also have a goretex (gtx) model too.

Wet weather, I've been testing Montrail Torre GTX ( "GTX" simply means that they're lined with goretex. Most brands do this now.)

A little on the "medium"-end, needed a bit more time to break in. So far, so good.

They're also in women's sizes.

You're looking for as hard/dense a sole as possible (usually vibram.) Too deep/flexible a tread and the rocks will chisel 'em off. You may need to chuck the original insert and put a nice, cushy one in though, due to those stiffer soles.

Look online and get an idea on soles from the two above. Next time your shopping , turn all the pairs over, looking at tread first. You'll probably be able to tell what's a hit/miss.

Good luck.

I thru-hiked the AT and I don't care what kind of condition you are in when you get to the rocks of PA - your feet hurt. Mine hurt for nearly a week after we passed Delaware Water Gap.

I agree with briansnat - get boots that fit YOU. I like a rather stiff-soled boot, myself. I hike that section in Danner Mountian Lights - by Kent, CT, we had to buy new boots and got the Vasques Sundowners, which I liked even better.

Try boots on!

Thanks all! Good advice all around. I know it's all about boot fit but like to have a place to start before I tear apart the REI shoe department. I love my lightweight boots but they're falling apart after a few hundred miles on these trails (AT, Mason Dixon, Tuscarora, etc.)

It's nice to commiserate. I love the PA trail system, but even with good boots, I know the words "Yay! Another boulder field!" will never pass my lips. I'd just like to be able to concentrate on the scenery and footwork - not the stabbing and ankle bending.

<_<

Thanks all! Good advice all around. I know it's all about boot fit but like to have a place to start before I tear apart the REI shoe department. I love my lightweight boots but they're falling apart after a few hundred miles on these trails (AT, Mason Dixon, Tuscarora, etc.)

It's nice to commiserate. I love the PA trail system, but even with good boots, I know the words "Yay! Another boulder field!" will never pass my lips. I'd just like to be able to concentrate on the scenery and footwork - not the stabbing and ankle bending.

:(

If you have a brand of lightweights that you like, go with their medium or heavy duty boots. They should have the same fit.

:(

If you have a brand of lightweights that you like, go with their medium or heavy duty boots. They should have the same fit.

Living in Colorado, bouldering tends to be part of any outdoor hiking endeavor. I've worn and loved Asolo and Vasque hvy weight hikers for many years and wouldn't trade them for anything. But I've recently discovered Merrells lt. weight hikers and don't think I'll be going back anytime soon. In fact, my wife and 2 older daughters share the opinion. They fit extremely well with NO BREAK IN PERIOD! We've had no bruising or discomfort of any kind with extended trips, they really rock (excuse the pun)! They run about $125-145 at REI, our favorite toy store!

Best of luck.

Be safe.

N

Edited by Native20559

Having worked for the PA Bureau of Forestry for 35+ years, I had a $90 annual boot allowance. I usually bought 1 good comfortable pair in the 85-95 dollar range and then bought another pair in the $50 range to wear when the first pair was wet or otherwise unserviceable. More than half the walking in the PA State Forest was off trail and quite often through Mountain Laurel. Laurel can really cut up the toes of even expensive boots. One of my favorite brands is Wolverine.

Having 2 pairs available greatly reduces the need to wear uncomfortable wet boots for miles.

Since you're now using the Keen Targehee and if they fit well I would suggest trying the Keen Oregon. I have a pair and they fit me perfectly. Waterproof and high cut to help protect the ankles and they wear well on the rocks that I hike on, The Bruce Trail in Ontario.

BUT, as others have said make sure that the boots you get fit your feet well, probably best to try them on right after a hike when your feet are at their worse.

It sounds like you live local to the AT so I would recommend finding a local outfitter that caters to AT hikers. Nothing against REI but the staff in the local outfitters are not only knowledgeable about the gear that they are selling but are passionate about backpacking and outdoor sports. The national stores have a product line that is mainly determined by their headquarters. The local outfitters will have gear specifically selected for your local terrain.

I live on the PA/WV border and we also have the rocky terrain that is found in central and eastern PA. When I bought my last pair of boots my outfitter spent over an hour with me selecting my boots and fine tuning them to perfectly match my feet. Because of differences between my two feet slight modifications had to be made to each boot before they sent me on my way.

The PA AT is my caching playground. I have worn Montrails, which are so very comfy for me but wore out within 2 years. My Merrels have sucked since I bought them. My Danners are still in the box, no real reason why, just haven't used them yet. My favorites right now are my Aku Icaros. You need good ankle support in Rocksylvania, so go for something that feels good and provides that support.

It sounds like you live local to the AT so I would recommend finding a local outfitter that caters to AT hikers.

Not easy to find in southcentral PA (assuming locale from proximity to both the AT and Tuscarora).

You could try http://www.wildwarebackcountry.com/ but honestly it's a shadow of its former self.

The thru-hikers typically re-boot at http://www.theoutfitteratharpersferry.com/servlet/StoreFront

Perhaps http://www.appoutdoors.com/ is convenient to you, they ran EMS out of town in State College, but boot fitting might be luck of the draw too.

And http://www.wildasaphoutfitters.com/ is owned by two recent women AT thru-hikers, near the Mid State Trail (those who know the "PA rocks" only from the A.T. know nothing until they've done the MST and Tuscarora :) )

Edited by ki0eh

Nobody ran EMS out of any of its westernmost stores. They left voluntarily. I worked at one of the 3 Pittsburgh stores for awhile until EMS closed all of them to consolidate in New England (they had a spat of excessive expansion they wanted to correct).

At any rate, my Asolo TPS 520's held up very well to the PA rocks. Full-grain one-piece leather uppers were burly. You can resole anything with a Vibram sole or Norwegian Welt construction, so look there. Your feet WILL hurt until you get used to the terrain, and even then, they'll probably still hurt...just less.

In harsh environments, I really think full-grain one-piece leather uppers are VERY important. If you're dealing with lots of brush that tends to shred uppers, get boots with a rubber toe bumper (a cobbler can install aftermarket rubber toe bumpers if the boots that fit you best don't have one). Then, the part of the boot that will wear most will be the sole.

Light hikers with fabric/synthetic uppers are really only any good for on-trail use and off-trail where the brush won't shred them too bad. Even without harsh use, such footwear is only intended to last for 5yrs TOPS...average around 3....and easily less than one in harsh environs.

A burly full-grain one-piece leather boot can last 10+yrs if you take care of the leather. You'll pay for something like this, but resoling can keep them alive for awhile even under heavy use as long as the uppers are in good shape. These are a workout and a half for long-distance hiking because they tend to be rather heavy, but for folks who are hard on boots, they're a worthwhile investment.

I only mention the Asolo TPS 520's since they're the ones that have been good to me. I have the GTX version. IMO, heavy boots like this do not need GTX since properly treated leather will be waterproof. Adding GTX just makes them even less breathable than they already were.

Honestly, I'm a strong advocate of trail runners, or lightweight boots. Traditional boots only constrict ankle movement and put more strain on the knees. I'd recommend getting something like this:

http://www.rei.com/product/754666

Then, you'll definitely want to throw in a good pair of insoles. I like the New Balance "Pressure Relief Insoles":

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/detail.asp?typ...p;style=IPR3020

My first experience solo hiking was Delaware Water Gap to Port Clinton on the Appalachian Trail, the rockiest part of the AT in PA, and it definitely taught me a few lessons!

I have terrible knees and traditional boots don't bother me at all.

boots do have their place, as do trail runners. I use them both. but I've seen how badly trail runners can be trashed, and how quickly. a shoe that's falling apart is worse on your feet than going barefoot.

my shoe choice depends on the terrain. simple as that. if I was hiking somewhere particularly rocky, I'd be wearing something with burly soles. my boots have them. so do my chaco sandals. but the sandals don't get worn in the woods anywhere that bugs or overhanging veg are a problem...so that means nowhere in the eastern half of the country.

Lightweight boots are great for summer hiking but during the cold wet NW winter I like my Schnees. Through mud and snow and shallow creeks you won't even think about your feet or your footwear. Now in my 3rd winter they're practically indistinguishable from new. Of course they're oiled and seam-sealed annually.

I hike mostly in PA and go for boots for fit. I also strongly recommend trying out hiking poles if you haven't tried them. I hike with a dog so don't often get a chance to use two poles at a time because she is on a long leash. And in many cases, I just leave the one pole strapped to the pack but when it gets rocky, I unstrap it. I bought a short video with my poles to learn how to use them although there's probably things on youtube now for free. Even when I just use one pole on rocky trails it adds a world of possiblity for spending a little less time looking at the rocks at my feet and more looking at the woods as I pass through. You can sometimes find good pole deals at REI clearance section.

Hey all! Thought I'd check back in on this thread as I FINALLY bought a good pair of boots. I was joking that I was going to start a support group for buying hiking boots so I'm very glad to see how much information has been posted here. Here's my story:

I had decided on the Vasque Wasatch boot. Took them out for a 3 day snow camping and the left boot leaked badly as soon as I hit the ground. Ended up having to plastic bag my feet. Unacceptable. Took them back to REI and decided to give them another chance. Went on a moderate four mile hike and when I got home I saw that the boot had ripped from the sole to the top of the laces! I don't even know what cut them but it looked like someone had taken a knife to it. Again, took them back to REI. Important lesson right here. Wherever you buy boots, make sure you can return them even after use. Otherwise, I would have been out $360.

It was now a toss up between the Asolo TPS and Zamberlan 310 Skill. The Asolo had fantastic ankle support but I did not feel like there was enough traction. The Zamberlans had better traction but were not quite full height. Otherwise these boots are identical. In the end I went with the Zamberlans and couldn't be happier. I took them out on their first adventure - a 13 mile muddy trail, bushwhacking, stream crossing, rock hoping adventure. The result was dry feet, no blisters, and a fully intact boot. I know these badboys will see me through a lot.

Both brands - Asolo and Zamberlan are very, very high quality. The group of hikers I was out with yesterday discussed boots (it really is the most important piece of gear you have) and came to the conclusion that you can't buy a decent pair of boots under $200. What's the point of spending $100 every few months?

Many lessons have been learned but most importantly - it's hard to find good boots. And when you do, they aren't going to be cheap. :)

Hi-Ho from Shadow AT 2002

Boots that hold up in Rocksylvania. They all do. It's a myth that this state is any worse than Maine or New Hampshire. The only really rocky part of the AT is from Wind Gap to Delaware Water Gap. Yes, for 8 or more miles you'll skip on top of sharp rocks sticking up out of the ground. Other than that, the state is no worse than any other on the AT.

I bought Nike Air Pegasus running shoes in Delaware Water Gap and literally skipped across the rocks from Delaware Water Gap to Wind Gap.

I used New Balance, Salamon, Merrell and Montrail and hands down, the Montrail shoes were the best. I still have my Montrail Hurricane Ridge shoes. They're shoe gooed but still keep my feet dry in winter hiking conditions.

They have a special tread that really works in snow and mud. My vote: ***** that's five stars.

Now, I normally wear size 10.5 but in hiking shoes, get 11.5 and the extra length protects my toes.

I use Fox River polypropylene liners (blue) and just plain white dress socks over them and after 2175 miles in all kinds of weather, I didn't have any blisters. NONE. I'm not exceptional and considering the fact that I was 55 years old when I thru-hiked the AT in 2002, I thought this was cool.

I did lose 5 toe nails along the way but that didn't hurt much. My feet were wet a good deal of the time.

Now, that's enough for shoes.

To fight the mice, take along two 3' sections of 30 lbs. monofilament fishing line tied with two loops, one at each end, and hang your gear and food bag with these lines. NO mouse can slide down a monofilament line. NONE. I laughed when I watched the mice try to slide down this slick line. They are trapeze artists on shoelaces.

Enjoy your hike,

Shadow AT02