Ever meet a muggle that wasn't an actual muggle?

bittsen

Last night my friend and I were caching. He was trying to find a cache I had put out while I smugly watched. It's a tough find, I think.

While we were there a woman approached and was surprised that we were even there (it was midnight or so). Now the woman was a little tipsy but she started chatting with us. I will leave out the conversational topic but suffice to say she was going to ask us for a ride to pick up a friend.

While she was there, of course, my friend had halted his searching, not wanting to give away that there was a cache nearby but the conversing kept going on and on. The fact that she was attractive was my incentive to keep talking, of course.

Eventually she got curious as to what we were doing in that particular spot around midnight. We were joking around but I finally told her we were geocaching.

Her eyes lit up and she exclaimed "I know what geocaching is. I've done it. Oh my god, it's so much fun" and then she showed me the keychain flashlight she has.

At that point my friend kept looking and we just stood there chatting.

Anyone else ever run into a muggle cacher?

Sorry, but you can't be a muggle and a cacher...you're one or the other.

Like you, I've run into people asking what I was up to and once the conversation turned to geocaching they knew what I was doing...either they had heard of it, were just getting started, or had been doing it for years.

Well, maybe. If you are out and about and you aren't even prepared to cache you might lose the right to call yourself a geocacher.

Case and point. I was out checking one of my caches and ran into a couple out hiking. They were telling me they were from Texas and how much they liked this area and how much they enjoy hiking. Of course I brought up geocaching and they said, " Oh yeah, (pause) we geocache. (pause) Gee, I didn't even think about bringing my gps."

:P

:D

Well, maybe. If you are out and about and you aren't even prepared to cache you might lose the right to call yourself a geocacher.

Case and point. I was out checking one of my caches and ran into a couple out hiking. They were telling me they were from Texas and how much they liked this area and how much they enjoy hiking. Of course I brought up geocaching and they said, " Oh yeah, (pause) we geocache. (pause) Gee, I didn't even think about bringing my gps."

:P

:D

"Well, maybe. If you are out and about and you aren't even prepared to cache you might lose the right to call yourself a geocacher."

How, exctly, does that happen? After you have lost this "right", is it possible to regain it? What would be the steps involved in regaining the right to call yourself a geocacher? Does something 'bad' happen of you call yourself a geocacher during the time period when you have lost the right to call yourself a geocacher?

This I find unbelievable, totally unbelievable.

Some people that I thought were muggles turned out to be geocachers.

Was working on a multicache Friday. We were deciding which way to go on the trail, and spotted a lady in red down the trail. We decided to go the other way, and got to Ground Zero. The lady in red walked up to us and asked if we were geocaching. We chatted for a bit, and she said "Oh, there it it. I can see it."

After you have lost this "right", is it possible to regain it? What would be the steps involved in regaining the right to call yourself a geocacher?

It's pretty simple to correct. briansnat set down the procedure sometime ago.

You must stand before your local caching community wearing your full caching gear. Once there you will be called out by the youngest or the most recently signed up cacher. They will say:

"Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay I a geocacher am I".

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". This should continue for no less than 3 minutes.

It's also used when meeting a fellow cacher in the woods.

When I was very new to this we were in a large park geocaching. REALLY large park with a lot of wild area.

We pulled up to the side of the road, and being new, I took a while to get my cache pages together and other stuff and as I was doing this a small SUV screeched up, and two kids in their late teens jumped out and ran off into the woods. We stood there wondering for a moment, then went on to find the cache.

As we got close to the cache site there they were, so we walked on down another trail to wait for them.

I told my friend I was sure they were geocachers. He said, "how did you know" I said, "because on of them was using his GPS for a cell phone."

He said, well let's give them a chance at it and head on back in a while.

We waited a long time, and headed back.

We got to GZ and could hear them a ways off.

They had taken up sticks and were beating all the foilage off all the plants in the area.

I guess their hunt had not gone well.

I was new at this and was clueless as to what to do.

My friend said stay away, but I was worried about the park.

and I wasn't going to wait all day for one cache.

So I turned around and walked up to where they were, stepped into the woods on the other side of the trail, grabbed the cache and walked back to my friend. Just like that.

I heard, "She got it!!" in a very disapointed voice.

(of course now I would have handled it very differently)

They left and we put the cache back and went on.

Why were these muggles?

Because they were distroying the park, and it is always said on the forums it's not the geocachers who distroy the woods, and because they couldn't find a cache that clearly outlined where it was (see the cable crossing the trail; follow it to the south and find the tree it's wrapped around. The cache is a large ammo box under that tree). A description I can remember almost 500 caches later, and they didn't find it.

Edited by Sol seaker

Like you, I've run into people asking what I was up to and once the conversation turned to geocaching they knew what I was doing...either they had heard of it, were just getting started, or had been doing it for years.

Hmm. I was caching with another guy once, and a middle aged married couple who saw us looking around for something like a couple of whack jobs came up and asked us if we were Geocaching. We said yes, and of course asked if they were cachers. Nope, they'd only heard about it. I asked if they ever considered trying it, but they didn't own a GPS. So I don't know, informed muggles?

After you have lost this "right", is it possible to regain it? What would be the steps involved in regaining the right to call yourself a geocacher?

It's pretty simple to correct. briansnat set down the procedure sometime ago.

You must stand before your local caching community wearing your full caching gear. Once there you will be called out by the youngest or the most recently signed up cacher. They will say:

"Ho, are ye a geocacher?" and the correct response is "Yay I a geocacher am I".

Upon the confirmation, the two then approach each other, put their left hand on the other person's right shoulder, standing arm's length and dance around in a circle while skipping and singing (very loudly) "Geocachers are we! Runy muny mee! Yaba daba baba. He, he, he!". This should continue for no less than 3 minutes.

It's also used when meeting a fellow cacher in the woods.

Thanks for clearing that up. All this time I thought there was some kind of secret handshake or something that I missed out on.... :P

Another local cacher and I were out last weekend, and stopped to chat with some folks about their dog near the local dogpark. We were heading for a cache near there. Anyhow, the lady with the dog turned to her daughter and said "Hey look! These guys are geocaching!!" My friend's hat and both of us carrying around GPSrs gave it away. :P

The license plate on my wife's car is G.O. CACHE.

We've had folks stop us in parking lots, asking if we were cachers.

<No Ma'am, my name is George Orwell Cache... Here's your sign...> :P

We've had folks toot their horns at us on the road, waving their Garmins at us.

We've walked out of the woods to find folks waiting for us at the trailhead.

When I was very new to this we were in a large park geocaching. REALLY large park with a lot of wild area.

We pulled up to the side of the road, and being new, I took a while to get my cache pages together and other stuff and as I was doing this a small SUV screeched up, and two kids in their late teens jumped out and ran off into the woods. We stood there wondering for a moment, then went on to find the cache.

As we got close to the cache site there they were, so we walked on down another trail to wait for them.

I told my friend I was sure they were geocachers. He said, "how did you know" I said, "because on of them was using his GPS for a cell phone."

He said, well let's give them a chance at it and head on back in a while.

We waited a long time, and headed back.

We got to GZ and could hear them a ways off.

They had taken up sticks and were beating all the foilage off all the plants in the area.

I guess their hunt had not gone well.

I was new at this and was clueless as to what to do.

My friend said stay away, but I was worried about the park.

and I wasn't going to wait all day for one cache.

So I turned around and walked up to where they were, stepped into the woods on the other side of the trail, grabbed the cache and walked back to my friend. Just like that.

I heard, "She got it!!" in a very disapointed voice.

(of course now I would have handled it very differently)

They left and we put the cache back and went on.

Why were these muggles?

Because they were distroying the park, and it is always said on the forums it's not the geocachers who distroy the woods, and because they couldn't find a cache that clearly outlined where it was (see the cable crossing the trail; follow it to the south and find the tree it's wrapped around. The cache is a large ammo box under that tree). A description I can remember almost 500 caches later, and they didn't find it.

Pt. Defiance Park with a view of the Tacoma Narrows. We found the cache and encountered a group of 20ish folks heading down the trail as we were headed back to the car. Very nice area. Doubt the goobers you encountered did any lasting damage.

Anyone else ever run into a muggle cacher?

Not a tipsy, attractive female one. Someday.

Those are classified as locationless caches. Rare and hard to find out on the trail. If you enter an establishment that serves alcohol on a Friday night, they're everywhere. Just wave your GPS at them and see if they respond.

Bruce

I was planning to do maintenance on one of my caches, and came upon a fellow and his grandson milling about. So, I waited awhile, but they wouldn't leave. They were waiting for me to scat so that they could find my cache. Eventually, it became obvious what was up, so we had a good laugh.

PS, they didn't find my cleverly disguised cache that day! I was bummed.

I was planning to do maintenance on one of my caches, and came upon a fellow and his grandson milling about. So, I waited awhile, but they wouldn't leave. They were waiting for me to scat so that they could find my cache. Eventually, it became obvious what was up, so we had a good laugh.

PS, they didn't find my cleverly disguised cache that day! I was bummed.

I have found it much harder to find a cache when there is someone near you that knows exactly where the cache is (LPC and GRC caches aside).

We were in Baltimore, Maryland, with our daughter and her husband, who cache as TheTenaciousTwo. Together, we found a very clever cache hidden at a lighthouse exhibit. When we were replacing the container, we sat down to slide it back into place without being seen by the other visitors in the area.

Here's my daughter's log and the reply she received a few weeks later:

"September 19 by TheTenaciousTwo (632 found)

We found this with The VanDucks while on a day trip to see Baltimore and the aquarium. It took us a while to determine where the cache was and then a little while longer to determine how to hide it again without being obvious. We devised a typical scheme of using a map and sitting near the cache pretending to talk about how to get to our next location. Lo and behold, a woman decided to come sit right next to us despite there being tons of benches and other more typical seating locations! We put it away and went to look in the lighthouse, but she was still sitting there. Lot of laughs about that one, TFTC!"

Mom, this was in response to my post for "7 foot knoll" gcxxmg that we found in the lighthouse in Baltimore. I thought she must have been a geocacher!

Love,

Cathy

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Oct 5, 2009 7:15pm

> ha! great description. I was the women. We were there for like an hr trying to find it. finally after sitting down next to you and you guys left i fell off and looked and saw the cache. How silly! wasn't it a great day in Baltimore? good luck on your future caches.

>

The license plate on my wife's car is G.O. CACHE.

We've had folks stop us in parking lots, asking if we were cachers.

<No Ma'am, my name is George Orwell Cache... Here's your sign...> :ph34r:

We've had folks toot their horns at us on the road, waving their Garmins at us.

We've walked out of the woods to find folks waiting for us at the trailhead.

Thanks for the laugh! Now to clean the computer screen...covered in Tater Salad.....no, not Bill Engvall's friend, the real stuff!

While caching in a park one afternoon, I came across a gent walking his dogs - nothing unusual. The dog came up to me for a bit of attention and I started chatting to the man since we were walking in the same direction and speed.

I said I was searching for treasure and eventually gave him a quick rundown of geocaching, and he was quite familiar - apparently his son is very much into it and plants them all over...

Had a nice chat and we went on our ways.

Can you say "Cacher in Muggle Clothing" :ph34r:

the ultimate cacher camo lol. i think i have ran across a few cachers while looking for a cache, caught half a comment about me that sounded like i think he's looking to. though since im looking at my cellphone w/gps tracker no one thinks anything about it, looks like im checking a text or something more so then caching to the untrained eye..

My boys are I last fall were heading out to our first FTF. I saw another couple behind me, so I let my boys run around in the open field off the paved path because I didn't want the other adults to see me go off trail.

The other adults were slowing down...looking at me, looking at the woods. Then I saw her holding something and then I knew what they were doing. I called them out and they laughed. Together we went into the woods and shared the FTF. Luck was with us cuz there were two TB's in there.