COINTEST – Thanksgiving Memories

kini_ont

It’s an overcast, chilly day, fall is definitely here. Why Colorado even had its second snowfall of the year, in some places that would be winter :P:P .

But in Canada it is the Thanksgiving weekend and soon our family and friends will be meeting for a day of fun and laughs not to mention the huge pot luck dinner (everyone’s favourite dish). We’ll all meet and will be transported out into a cabin in the woods, far (not too far) from phones, electricity, oh and indoor plumbing if you get the drift :huh::D:P

So that got me to thinking, our American friends celebrate Thanksgiving in November but I’m not sure of all the other traditions that go on all over the world. Maybe you are a transplanted Canadian and still on this weekend celebrate as you would do if you were home (we’ll be thinking of you).

In this cointest you must tell us of your most memorable tradition of Thanksgiving; past, present or future (planning something big). Make it count cause you can only enter once (but if you feel the need to respond to someone’s post go ahead, only your tale will count to winning) post pictures if you like. I’ve got slideshow posted on the bottom of my coin webpage to show you what some of our 2008 gathering looked like (we went caching just before it) My Webpage

I’ll be off, see you in 24 hours, then I’ll throw all the names in a hat and the winning pick will get a new shiny coin of my choice. Good luck and be kind to one another, Happy Thanksgiving from Canada :D

BeaverInHatThumb.jpg

My Thanksgiving aren't anthing real special now that I am older and my Parents take off to live in Texas for the winters. But I understand as my parents are up in age and really dont like the cold winters anymore.

But I do have to say I am Thankful of them that they get a chance to enjoy life. My parenst really never had alot of money but they made darn sure that they gave us a good childhood and cant ever say they didnt raise us kids good. Now that I am older I really can say this, back when I was younger as teen and rebelious then I may have not thought this but now the older I am the more and more appreciative of my parents. Now it is their turn to enjoy life. So that is One thing I am Thankful for.

My Thanksgiving growing up were good fond memories which I still hold thought today, remeber going to my grandmas house which we was not only my grandma, but my best friend, which I miss so dearly, would go to her house early in the morning help her with the Turkey and stuffing, and with all the other fixings. When we were all finished with the preperation we all gather around the table and we all would tell each other what we were all thankful of this day, as we go around the table, and I come from a big family so this was not just something that took a couple minutes and we got up from the table. Remember seeing my grandma and grandpa lay down for a short afternoon nap. When they get up Thanksgiving dinner was ready, We always helped set the table for grandma, while she whipped up the last minutes stuff to put on the table. These fond memories are like it was just yesterday. We always had a nice feast every year. Things have never been the same since my Grandma passed away, There is many things I am thankful this year at Thanksgiving time or any year for that matter. Remembering the good times and all the fond memories shared with my Best Friend/Grandma...sorry tears...I miss her dearly. Okay get myself back together, I am Thankful of all the good friend, family,Geocaching/geocoin friends we have met from along the way and have build nice friendships with and most of all That I am Here and having a very loving husband. When I sit and realize where I am, I have everything I could imagine and I am so Thankful of that.

Hope each and every one of you Have a Happy Thanksgiving and hope you all give Thanks this Thanksgiving Day that is approaching us.!

:D thank you Ted fr this cointest! :huh:

We do not have a Thanksgiving day here in Greece, but as you said too... everyday is a thanksgiving day! We thank God for the things we have, for the food we eat.... we thank our parents for what we are, we thank our wife for being there and for the family we have.....

anyway...

I will post a special thank you my sister and my brother in law said to us and our family on October 26th or 2008! :P

It was their wedding day! After the wedding the 2 families joined and went out to eat and have some fun! We couldn't affort to do that with all the people who came in the wedding!

since everything was done with a big loan my sister and my brother in law took from a bank and with the help of the families.... they took us out to eat and by that way to say thank you for everything, thank you for the wedding presents.... :P

We ate good, we danced, we had so fun! I was one of the best men too, so I was near them all the time! the next day they were leaving for their honey moon (Dubai (for some hours) and Sheychelles (6 days)), which was a small present from me! I worked hard all the season so I can give them a present that will remember for the rest of their lives! :D

Memories came back about family members (our beloved grandparents).... great emotions from my parents seeing my sister starting her new life and trying to create her own family...

It was so great!!!! Unforgetable day!!! :)

As you can see, it was not a thanksgiving day, but it was a great day and way for my sister & my brother in law to say Thank you! :)

Now... if you want my special day to say Thank you to someone.... you will have to wait until 29th of January, or for the Valentine's day!

I just hope my girlfriend will be here! I have some plans (nope.. no wedding...yet!!! :D ), to say to her Thank you for beeing in my life, and thank you for making me a good man when you are with me!!! she is the greatest , sweetest, most caring, person I know and I feel so blessed to know her and beeing her man! :) Yes! I love her!!! :D

what are my plans.... Well I will try so she will have the most romantic 24 hours of her life so far!!! :) I will tell you how it will start...(ok, before that we will have other things but that is not for posting!!! :D) I want to see the sun rise with her! we have seen the sunset, but the sunrise is something special too! It is the birth of a new day!!! Her day!!! all the other things that will follow..... I am leaving them to your imagination!!! :P

Our Family Thanksgivings tend to be fairly benign, no dogs running off with the Turkey, no forgetting to take the giblet bag out of the cavity before roasting, no starting the house or garage on fire trying to deepfry the turkey.....none of those things that make the day memorable. I think that the best Thanksgiving Day that I can remember would be one where all the food, the turkey, the potatoes, the vegetables, the rolls, the squash, pies, and anything else we were to eat that day all came together, was cooked correctly, and all hit the table at the same time like a well played symphony. After eating, we all relax by watching football, and dozing in the easychair. Ahh, the simple life.

thanks for the cointest.

Thanksgiving - a time to reflect on all for which we are thankful - great family, good friends, a job, good health, - there is whiole list of things. Bascially - I am thankful I woke up this morning and could enjoy my family, friends and do what I wanted to do. Life is journey and we should be thankful for each day we are allowed to follow our dreams!

Edited by hollora

We don't really have a Thanksgiving tradition... we're a young family and it's usually spent doing whatever we enjoy... this year it was doing a couple of caches and then visiting family... then we spent some time preparing our new place for moving in this week...

For those people that are not with their families for this thanksgiving, we wish you all the best.

For those brave troops on deployment with the military, no matter the location, we wish you all the best and know that your work is appreciated... stay safe and come home soon...

When I was a very small kid...One of my favorite things was the fun time me and my brothers and sister would have, every holiday watching the television specials on tv....Things like the charlie brown thanksgiving special, the garfield special, and so on....My parents, my older brother, my younger brother, and my younger sister would gather around during the holidays, and watch them, laugh together, sing the songs in them, and all together just have a great time, that the images and memories will forever be burnt into my brain.

Last year, my wife and I had our very first child....Thats right, a child of my own..A child that we can continue our traditions with.....A child that we can share our great memories with, and make memories of our own. So, last year, although he was only 2 months old at thanksgiving, my wife, my son, and I sat down and watched the same holiday specials that we watched as a family when I was younger...(this time, on dvd, of course). Now with the holidays coming up again, real soon, my son is now 13 months old...I have the dvd's ready to go, and I am looking forward to watching them again with him and my wife this year, and all the years to come...

So, all in all, spending time with my family is one of the most important things in the world to me, and spending time with them during the holidays makes some of the best memories that anyone can ask for.

thanks for the opportunity to share my memories with you, and everyone reading this, and hopefully we have the chance to win a new coin.

This really isn't a tradition but it is a memorable Thanksgiving so I thought it would fit here.

I remember the time that a bunch of guests gathered at a friend's house for the traditional holiday feast. The turkey was prepared and put in the oven. BUT they forgot something very important---to turn on the oven! With all the guests he didn't check it for awhile either. The dinner was rather late that year and he got teased about it for quite some time too. I don't think any of the family has allowed him to host the dinner since then.....LOL

Happy Thanksgiving!!

Wow ... Thanksgiving. The word alone makes me think of my mom's side of the family.

Okay, time for a little background. My mother's childhood growing up wasn't the greatest. They were poor, moved from town to town (anywhere their dad could find work), and were never sure what to expect from day to day. There were five children in the family, and everyone was expected to do their share or face punishment.

Fast forward 30+ years. The only ones left from the family are my mother, one sister, and one brother. My aunt and mother have remained close throughout the years, and there is not a year that goes by we do not have Thanksgiving lunch/dinner together. Some of my favorite memories are of my mother and aunt in the kitchen cooking and the cousins running around. In reality my cousins are more like siblings since we are all within a few years of each other (the kids ages countdown in order), and we spent almost every weekend at my aunts house growing up! While sitting to eat everyone would talk about people they knew, the local gossip, and family that hadn't been seen in a while. My mother is the only one that moved out of "small town" life, so when we were visiting, EVERYONE knew her and wanted to know how she had been. This ultimately led to comments about how big my brother and I had gotten, and the last time we had been seen we were running around in diapers, knee high to a grasshopper, or insert any other southern colloquialism meaning to get bigger :D We kids could never get away with ANYTHING without someone knowing who we belonged to :P I suppose in reality they truly are the quintessential Southern family.

They taught me to be thankful for everything I have, and that time with family and friends was the most important thing. My family has always accepted me for who I was, even during the horrible teenage years, and never asked for anything in return. They have given me the strength, courage, support, knowledge, and confidence to accomplish anything I set my sights on. And, never have they not been there when I have needed them. So what do I thank my creator for ... My family. Standard answer I know, but the truth. There is a saying, "You can pick your friends, but not your family". Well given the choice I would pick mine, because even when I am frustrated beyond belief I know they'll be there and ultimately ... they are MINE. For better or worse, through yelling and crying, they are all MINE :huh:

well i have a huge family 7-aunts and 8 uncles, just on my moms side, so we all get togeather (the ones that can make it) and have a big feast!!

everyone brings food and we all leave fat!! after dinner the men usually go play poker and watch football and the kids and women do a christmas craft! then during that time we indulge in desert, usually a table full of sweets, pies, cakes and cookies.

the morning of thanksgiving there is a tradition of football in the snow, we get up around 630 am and hit the high school field and play a good game of football with alot of other pepole that have come to learn about our tradition , last year half the neborhood was there!

so my coolest memorie is one year while passing around the food , my cousin and i became a dish and they passed us around the table, lets just say everyone got some jay and michel that year!!

i happened to find this photo of it, i havent seen this photo in about 15 years!! what a great memorie saved by photo!!! and what a great place to share it with.

p.s. im the one in blue at the front!! ha ha ha

325c8b99-a784-438f-91d5-598d7237e7a0.jpg

af3eda3b-2956-48e3-82a0-3927de866298.jpg

Thanks for the cointest and the REMINDER! There is no Thanksgiving here in Oz...and as a Canadian down under I sure do miss the turkey. You actually have to order a turkey in advance to get a full bird from the butcher and I am not one for doing things ahead of time! Alas, since we were on holiday until recently and I just came home on what I found out was 'Thanksgiving weekend' I just placed my order for a turkey and we'll be having it next weekend. It is the thought that counts right? Now to find some pumpkin pie!

My sister & brother came with my new nephew as I hosted my very first ever thanksgiving this year! The baby ate his first ever "real" food (yay sweet potatoes!). We did that dinner on sunday, and monday was at my in-laws house. I decided to ride my bike out there one last time before the snow flies. But i didn't want to be long since I was riding my single-speed, so I rode the highway. But I didn't make it very far, as about a third of the way to my destination I passed a herd of Bighorn sheep on the side of the road. Apparently the unusually cold temperatures this year has brought the ewes into heat early, so the rams were down with the herd. Neat - I've never seen the rams up close before!

But it gets better!

From the safety of behind a fence, I got to watch 2 rams fight it out from 40 yards away! It's amazing (a) how LOUD they are when they collide, and (:D how ritualistic the entire thing was. They would take turns showing each other their racks, back away, rear up and charge! But if they didn't both start their charges at exactly the same time they'd abort and start the whole thing over again. I've read that it's because they hit so hard if they were to hit off-center it could easily break both of their necks.

Pretty amazing; I never expected that I'd get to see that in person, let alone from so insanely close.

Well another Thanksgiving has come and gone, today I start my diet :D:(

Here Ki and I arrive, about an hour after posting this cointest the clouds rolled away and the sun came out making the fall colour sparkle so we decided to walk in about 2 km to the cabins. We were hoping that this would allow us to eat more.

TG2009001.jpgTG2009002.jpg

Here we have some arrivals on the gator, others brought down 4X4’s, the road down is not the best after the rains we have received lately but not as bad as I have seen it in the past.

TG2009004.jpgTG2009005.jpg

The highlight of the day was a scavenger hunt set up by our hosts (sister & brother-in-laws) a lot of laughs was had. And the food, well let’s say everyone went overboard with their favourites and a lot was packaged to take home for seconds (humm seconds, hey honey where are the deserts we brought home, oh ya diet). To top it off the other brother-in-law brought fireworks for the little ones to end a perfect Thanksgiving Day. :unsure:

I'll be back shortly with a winner and choice of coin, thanks to all who have participated.

Boy, am I glad I said I’d pick the winner from a hat, I would not want to pick my favourite because they all had special meaning to everyone.

First Dark Elf, I included you because there is a large festival held every year, it’s called Oktoberfest and the one time I attended of what I can remember it was a thanks to the beer and food gods :D

DJ you rock those pictures reminded me of my early childhood, we must have had the same uncles and aunts cause they meant the world to me too. Sweetlife what can I say but isn’t it grand to have had the opportunity to have known the ones we cherish, Gatoulis, hope your special day for your love one is the best day of your life, giving on oneself is so underrated, you will feel like a million bucks (or the equivalent in Euro’s).

Thanks to everyone for the memories you shared, the special moments you experienced it was a pleasure reading every one of them :(

So I was going “Batty” trying to pick a coin but I did and the person I be sending to is .....

Congratulations: hollora

My favorite memories of Thanksgiving have always been about the deviled eggs... Seeing how many I can fit in my mouth at once is a good time! And then theres carving the turkey while the dogs are at my feet praying for me to slip and give them a turkey of their own... Most of all is the food, all that precious food... I love Thanksgiving!

Boy, am I glad I said I’d pick the winner from a hat, I would not want to pick my favourite because they all had special meaning to everyone.

First Dark Elf, I included you because there is a large festival held every year, it’s called Oktoberfest and the one time I attended of what I can remember it was a thanks to the beer and food gods :D

DJ you rock those pictures reminded me of my early childhood, we must have had the same uncles and aunts cause they meant the world to me too. Sweetlife what can I say but isn’t it grand to have had the opportunity to have known the ones we cherish, Gatoulis, hope your special day for your love one is the best day of your life, giving on oneself is so underrated, you will feel like a million bucks (or the equivalent in Euro’s).

Thanks to everyone for the memories you shared, the special moments you experienced it was a pleasure reading every one of them :laughing:

So I was going “Batty” trying to pick a coin but I did and the person I be sending to is .....

Congratulations: hollora

Congratulations Hollora!!! :)

My dear friend Ted, thank you so much for this cointest and for your wishes for the day with my girlfriend! :)