Garmin Vista HCX, is it just me?

47_Pirate

just want to sanity check myself, but i bought a vista hcx earlier this year and has been good for us.

just that now we always seem to be out by between 20 and 30 feet (i know this is not so bad considering)

Also, if i set a coord then on return it is between 20 and 70 feet out!

i know i am not giving much information but does this seem perfectly ok, i cannot see how it could be "out of calibration" and that we are relying on other peoples units for the coords.

just seems and feels wrong to be honest.

we used to use tomtom navigator 5 on a pda and compass and got closer

any ideas

Try downloading the latest firmware (V3.10) from the Garmin site. It also asks if you want to download something else once the firmware has been downloaded, which I did. (What it is escapes me at the moment, but someone else may know what I mean)

Since then I've been getting an accuracy of between 7ft and 12 ft!

Hope that helps

Dean

Try downloading the latest firmware (V3.10) from the Garmin site. It also asks if you want to download something else once the firmware has been downloaded, which I did. (What it is escapes me at the moment, but someone else may know what I mean)

Since then I've been getting an accuracy of between 7ft and 12 ft!

Hope that helps

Dean

You also need to recalibrate the electronic compass after every battery change.

What arndale and BlueDeuce said. My 60CSx is always accurate between 7ft.-12ft., and I always get between 5 and 7 sats.

Thanks for all the replies

Thought i would get slated for not using it right to be honest.

i have checked the updates and i was one version out so i have done that and recalibrated the compass but as yet not done a full reset

I intend to use it this weekend and see what it is like in the field.

then decide about a full reset.

The strange thing was that when we first got it, it could get me to within 4 ft everytime

but it is drifting more and more.

Garmin support says the same as all of you, firmware, compass and master reset.

As i said, thanks for the help and advise and i will keep it posted about the results

Cheers

Thought i would get slated for not using it right to be honest.

Cheers

:ph34r:

What?

Us, here?

Nah, never! :laughing::laughing:

Might be that the caches you've been after recently, haven't had as accurate co-ords as the caches you've found previously...

May be worthwhile meeting up with someone to compare readings. Not that the two GPSr's will read the same co-ords!

Just an update

I updated the software, recalibrated the compass and got a better level of success at the beginning of the day

By the afternoon it was drifting off again

I compared it to the Tomtom system in the car and that was reading more satellites and showed a difference from the HCX in the afternoon

I am intending to do a master reset soon and then have another go before contacting Garmin again

now all i need to do is get my head around loading the caches in in bulk. now that is another subject that i will look into unless someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks to all and again i will let you know

Cheers

now all i need to do is get my head around loading the caches in in bulk. now that is another subject that i will look into unless someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks to all and again i will let you know

Cheers

Goodluck with the reset, touch wood my Vista HCX is still working fine after 11months.

I do a Pocket Query on GC, save it to my computer from the email, open in easy GPS, select all the Geocaches and send to GPS. All very easy, I can't beleive I used to enter them all by hand in the past.

Some people use other programs that are better like GSAK but because Easygps works for me I haven't changed yet and it was free to download from here: http://www.easygps.com/

Goodluck

Yorkie30 :)

Edited by Yorkie30