Oregon 3.22 beta firmware

Rifty

One negative so far : in track manager, with a recorded tracklog selected in an area covered by the national parks discoverer, extended panning/zooming around consistently causes maps not to be displayed in both track manager and map view. Only resolution I've found is a restart.

One positive : the speed of panning/zooming around a discoverer map is MUCH improved-redraw speed is much faster!

Anyone spot anything else?

I had put 3.22b on my 400T GPSr in the week to try the new raster map feature.

:(

At the weekend I went geocaching and found the GPSr kept freezing going to the Geocache area.

e.g. see a cache on screen, select it and the next screen just has the bottom line.

It was possible from the menu to load a cache as a goto, but going in deeper to get the hint (if needed :) ) caused the freeze.

Reverted back to 3.20 and that cured.

kevenh,

The problem you describe sounds like one that has been around since day one on the OR x50's. Some times (especially with large gpx files) you can get partially loaded or corrupt geocaches. When you loaded the gpx file containing the geocaches the first time did the unit hang on the first boot or did it hang on the first boot after your upgrade to 3.22?

Big issues at my end on upgrading to this beta version. The unit has difficulty displaying the OS mapping now and hangs continually on navigating by road or direct route. Only a battery pull will restart the unit. The previous version of the software (which I am now seeking a copy of to go back) used to hang the first time on uploading a GPX file, thereafter was fine.

Any suggestions welcome!

kevenh,

The problem you describe sounds like one that has been around since day one on the OR x50's. Some times (especially with large gpx files) you can get partially loaded or corrupt geocaches. When you loaded the gpx file containing the geocaches the first time did the unit hang on the first boot or did it hang on the first boot after your upgrade to 3.22?

Thanks for the feedback. :huh:

My main cache gpx file is large as it's for approx. 1500 locations.

If I understood your point correctly, are you saying my freezing issue was more to do with a one off bad corrupt gpx download?

iirc, I tried the 3.2 release on the same gpx file as the one the 3.22b caused problems on.

The timeline for discovering my GPSr freezes when getting more info on a cache is: Wednesday: try 3.22b with a custom raster map. Didn't try looking for a cache. Saturday morning updated the GPSr with current cache info. Found the freeze issue, but bravely geocached without any 'Hints' :P. Sunday I got back to 3.2 via the 3.15b and webupdater. I verified then that I could use 'Hints', etc.

tnx for allowing a detailed post - hope it's helpful for others :D

I too am reverting to 3.2 - too many hangs, reboots, discoverer maps not showing. Hmmm....

So far there are no problems created with this software for my Discoverer maps, in fact they seem clearer.

However, I only have one Discoverer map active at any one time.

This is because each Discoverer has five different maps within it so to have more Discoverer maps active you are multiplying the active maps by five and then I get problems! In each Discoverer map you are duplicating/triplicating the CityNavigator, 1:25000, 1:2500 and in some cases the 1:50.

If you have identical maps on the internal and SD cards it usually gives problems[ie Discoverer on SD and Internal]!

I THINK.

Edited by strumble

I too am reverting to 3.2 - too many hangs, reboots, discoverer maps not showing. Hmmm....

So far there are no problems created with this software for my Discoverer maps, in fact they seem clearer.

However, I only have one Discoverer map active at any one time.

This is because each Discoverer has five different maps within it so to have more Discoverer maps active you are multiplying the active maps by five and then I get problems! In each Discoverer map you are duplicating/triplicating the CityNavigator, 1:25000, 1:2500 and in some cases the 1:50.

If you have identical maps on the internal and SD cards it usually gives problems[ie Discoverer on SD and Internal]!

I THINK.

Yes I believe you are right hence I reformatted the SD card and loaded the Discoverer maps one at a time. It works fine with the UK TOPO and basemap but as soon as any map is loaded the same issues freezing and hanging issues hit the unit. Really frustrating as the maps render much quicker with the beta but become really unusable due to the issues. Incidentally one way to work around the multi map issue is to strip out just the 1:25000 tiles using GmapTool. this works a treat with 3.2 and saves the duplication problems but alas not so with the beta.

Are your Discoverer maps on both Internal and SD cards?

Are they downloaded or bought on SD cards?

I had problems when the Discoverer maps were listed as #1 as you could not disable individual maps!

75039341.png..26738879.png

However, by putting one Discoverer map on internal and the other on the SD I eliminated the problems as I could disable one Discoverer and use the other!!!!!!

13967544.png..27347247.png

Edited by strumble

My issues were definitely down to two discoverer maps on the sd at the same time, made no difference whether only one was enabled at a time.

Back on 3.20 now and rock solid, but re-draw is definitely slower. Has anyone reported this back to garmin yet ? There's normally a beta email address ?

I had installed 3.22 and all appeared OK until today.

Out caching and as stated by others the Discoverer crashes when near to cache.

I have the Discoverer on the SD card (only file)

I have Topo GB v2 on internal memory but only have one map active at a time.

The internal memory also has the basemap,1 small KMZ file and a small selection of PQ's

On topo no problem when swapped over with Discoverer.

I am now back on 3.2