New term: "tracklog saturation"

DENelson83

This is usually the result of a long-drawn-out drunken bee dance by someone who doesn't have much in the way of geosense yet, when a particular location is "saturated" with track log points on his/her GPSr's screen. Here's an example:

tlsat.png

Tracklog saturation can actually be a great tool to check whether the cache you're looking for is at the site you think it's at, or whether it's displaced a few dozen metres. Think of it as another way to do waypoint averaging.

Are you on a term-coining spree or something?

New verb : DENelsoning - the act of proposing a new term in the GC forums :(

Other geocachers who's been verbalized : Kit Fox and The Bell Dingers. Of course, it doesn't compare with being nounized. Markwell holds that honor.

Edit : now that I think back about it, Kit Fox may have been both a verb and a noun. Not sure what was the consensus.

Edited by Chrysalides

New verb : DENelsoning - the act of proposing a new term in the GC forums :)

Hey, I like that. But you can call it simply "Nelsoning". :(

Also, these new terms aren't just for the GC forums, but for the whole geocaching world.

Edited by DENelson83

With the interesting geo-terms that have been created and never taken off, it is so horribly sad that the term that may be the most used is "muggle". "Muggle"? How incredibly unoriginal and boring can we get?????

At least I use the term "webwhacking" frequently on my own, because I do that so much when I go geocaching in the forest.

Edited by DENelson83

With the interesting geo-terms that have been created and never taken off, it is so horribly sad that the term that may be the most used is "muggle". "Muggle"? How incredibly unoriginal and boring can we get?????

I've never liked this term either. It's annoying whenever I mention it for people to give me a knowing nod or laugh and say "Harry Potter" when I've never watched any of the movies or read the books.

I just state back to them, dead serious, "it's an old military term that Harry Potter borrowed/stole".

But I still don't like it... anyone ever come up with alternatives to "muggle"?

I've never liked this term either. It's annoying whenever I mention it for people to give me a knowing nod or laugh and say "Harry Potter" when I've never watched any of the movies or read the books.

I just state back to them, dead serious, "it's an old military term that Harry Potter borrowed/stole".

Sorry, that one's never going to go away. And despite the popularity of the Harry Potter books and movies, most Geocachers will continue to have no idea where it comes from, and call them "mugglers". :(

Hey, Nelsoning is better than Bell-dinging, right? By the way, we haven't heard much from him lately (knock on wood).

Sorry, that one's never going to go away. And despite the popularity of the Harry Potter books and movies, most Geocachers will continue to have no idea where it comes from, and call them "mugglers". :(

Hey, Nelsoning is better than Bell-dinging, right? By the way, we haven't heard much from him lately (knock on wood).

Most cachers like most members of the public in the developed world do in fact know where the term originated in popular culture. Geocachers might, in fact, possess some special knowledge, fortunately that example does not fall into that category.

Most cachers like most members of the public in the developed world do in fact know where the term originated in popular culture. Geocachers might, in fact, possess some special knowledge, fortunately that example does not fall into that category.

I didn't. till I read the forums, and I was already using the term by then. I think I'm just going to call them 'pedestrians' from now on.... then geocachers might go "who?" :(

New verb : DENelsoning - the act of proposing a new term in the GC forums :(

Other geocachers who's been verbalized : Kit Fox and The Bell Dingers. Of course, it doesn't compare with being nounized. Markwell holds that honor.

Edit : now that I think back about it, Kit Fox may have been both a verb and a noun. Not sure what was the consensus.

DENelsonizing...wouldn't that be undoing a Nelsonized term?

As in: sadly, "Wrastro'd" as an alternative to 'muggled, seems to be another of those that never quite stuck with the masses. Guess we need to DENelsonize it.

I didn't. till I read the forums, and I was already using the term by then. I think I'm just going to call them 'pedestrians' from now on.... then geocachers might go "who?" :P

That's one.

I have a term, but I can't print it in the forums.