60CSx resets to GPS software 0, why? any thoughts

spotter/g

This is the second time that I have had my GPS mysteriously reset the GPS software to 0. When this happens, it will not aquire sats but everything else works fine. Then I have to restore the software and it works fine.

Does anyone know why this happens. I noticed that both times I had not used the unit for over a month.

It only sucks because I only noticed when I was too far into my trip to turn back and grab my back up.

Thank you all for your input.

This is the second time that I have had my GPS mysteriously reset the GPS software to 0. When this happens, it will not aquire sats but everything else works fine. Then I have to restore the software and it works fine.

Does anyone know why this happens. I noticed that both times I had not used the unit for over a month.

It only sucks because I only noticed when I was too far into my trip to turn back and grab my back up.

Thank you all for your input.

No clue why, but read this thread for a possible fix:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=232519&hl=

I hope that thread can help. I have given it some thought as to what happened to my 60Cx in that incident. I believe that it started when I attempted to run the Garmin Web Updater on the unit. As far as I can tell the latest version of the updater does not play well with a computer running Vista and a 60Cx/CSx that hasn't been kept up to date.

I hope that thread can help. I have given it some thought as to what happened to my 60Cx in that incident. I believe that it started when I attempted to run the Garmin Web Updater on the unit. As far as I can tell the latest version of the updater does not play well with a computer running Vista and a 60Cx/CSx that hasn't been kept up to date.

Webupdater, Vista could screw things up when used to update the GPS but how could theyr have any inluence once the SIRF chipset software has been installed sucessfully and is used stand alone ????

My 60CX lost its SIRF firmware recently, first time after 3 years of use and soft upgrade.

The firmware is stored in EEPROM. Maybe for unknow reason it got corrupted (power glitch when turning ON/OFF for ex)

Unless it happens again, I am not worried. It was just a reminder that failure exists and always plan for a backup, in this case, to carry a compass and a map should I venture in the wild !

See the other thread for the solution.

If it keeps happening, too bad,time to get a new GPS.

Edited by Suscrofa