Path Tags

UTDARCY

Hello - until recently I was a Cacher in it for the hunt..... with the introduction of the Coin Logger I will once again be seeking to discover coins. However in the last week I have become fascinated with Path Tags.

If any one has any they are willing to send my way I would gladly pay for postage or meet to pick them up. Looking to expand my collection and learn about the creators. Hopefully they'll inspire a great path tag for myself sometime in the coming year.

Also seeking some more of the SLC Geocoin Fest pathtags for trading purposes

Please feel free to contact me. sorry if this off topic ----UTDarcy

Edited by UTDARCY
Hello - until recently I was a Cacher in it for the hunt..... with the introduction of the Coin Logger I will once again be seeking to discover coins. However in the last week I have become fascinated with Path Tags.

Your best bet would be to create one of your own, then trade with others. There's a very active trading community on the pathtag website. You can also join one or more Pathtag of the Month club, and of course purchase them off eBay. Asking for people to send it to you out of the goodness of their heart is not likely to grow your collection significantly.

This is a little off topic but since the mention of pathtags came up I was wondering. I do not have a pathtag of my own, but if I find one in a cache is it okay to trade swag for a pathtag or should it only be pathtag for pathtag?

Our pathtags are meant to be a freebie. No need to worry about a trade. :D

This is a little off topic but since the mention of pathtags came up I was wondering. I do not have a pathtag of my own, but if I find one in a cache is it okay to trade swag for a pathtag or should it only be pathtag for pathtag?

Our pathtags are meant to be a freebie. No need to worry about a trade. :D

Same with mine. They are for you to collect, and maybe make your own someday.

My kids attach a small toy to theirs and trade it for swag. So, I figure when they get picked up, they probably get traded for swag too.

Looks kinda pricey for a giveaway item to people who you don't even know.

If you treat it just like a sigitem, it's about $1 per tag with a $50 startup fee. Not cheap, but not that expensive. I usually trade mine for another sigitem. If I find another I treat it like swag - swap tags if I have mine with me, or trade it for something else.

Speaking of which, have you got your sigitem yet? You mentioned something about cubic zirconium once.

What is a path tag?

http://www.pathtags.com/what.php

No big deal, eh? :D:unsure::)

Ah, thanks.

I was unaware it was a way to make a pathtag company lots of money. I thought it was like a custom signature item or something.

I think I'll passtag.

I think that you're right about that.

Those pathtags seem to be aimed at the more affluent members of the geocaching community.

Used golf balls, match box cars, smiley face stickers, air, pathtags, something for every income level.

Nice. :laughing::blink::)

Actually, I feel they are pretty good items to collect, but I stick only with "face-to-face" or "handed-to" pathtags with geocachers that I have met on the trail. We have not liberated any from a cache that they were sitting in. I do suppose that there would be a fair amount of trading at events (in my short geocareer I haven't yet made it to one -- I am for the most part, still stuck in the far corner of nowhere). :D

What is a path tag?

No big deal, eh? :D:):laughing:

Ah, thanks.

I was unaware it was a way to make a pathtag company lots of money. I thought it was like a custom signature item or something.

I think I'll passtag.

I used to think the same thing but changed my thinking after several were given to me by other cachers. Took me a long time to make the decision to buy but i finally did and haven't regretted it. Heck, i just recently ordered more for about $1.00 a tag, which is relatively cheap for signature type items. It's really kinda cool to see all the different designs that people come up with. Yes, the finished product comes from a factory but the design and colors come from fellow cachers, making it a nice signature item and yet, another offshoot of geocaching that we find enjoyable!

9key,,, do you do any trading?

What is a path tag?

Ah, thanks.

I think I'll passtag.

Those pathtags seem to be aimed at the more affluent members of the geocaching community.

Used golf balls, match box cars, smiley face stickers, air, pathtags, something for every income level.

For us it winds up being more cost effective. I was going broke at the dollar store buying swag. With 3 kids trading, 20 bucks would buy about a weeks worth of swag that is pretty low quality and probably only appeal to little kids. These I feel like adults or kids might enjoy and they're more personal.

What is a path tag?

Ah, thanks.

I think I'll passtag.

For us it winds up being more cost effective. I was going broke at the dollar store buying swag. With 3 kids trading, 20 bucks would buy about a weeks worth of swag that is pretty low quality and probably only appeal to little kids. These I feel like adults or kids might enjoy and they're more personal.

So how much per week are you averaging after having made the switch?

So how much per week are you averaging after having made the switch?

For the first few weeks it winds up being more expensive because of the cost of making the mold. After that it will be about the same. So, I've had cut back on other expenses, but I don't mind if it means the kids have something nice to trade, since trading is their favorite part of geocaching and geocaching gets them out of the house and away from the video games (priceless.) I wouldn't do the same for $100 worth of plastic dinos.

Edited by runawaybunny

I'd like some free geocoins and ammo cans if anyone has them. Maybe a few grand for my Corvette fund would be very nice as well. :laughing:

OOOOooooOOOooo I'd like some of that action! Only I don't need money for something as impractical as a Vette. I just need a few houndred-thou to pay for my NEW house and pay off my old cars. Oh and to pay for the old house that I can't seem to give away even though I put 30K+ into improving it. :D

Seriously though. I'll trade my sig smashed coins (12 different designes) for pathtags at ANY opportunity so shoot me an email if you want to trade.

38afa2b0-8860-43c9-99f8-df12bd027ee6.jpg

c6b41132-569f-4268-8150-97ccb7e1ffe5.jpg

da2d213d-a0b1-420e-bcf4-85b995c93535.jpg

bcfb6191-02ca-4f63-a9fe-112f8a8d76fc.jpg

If you treat it just like a sigitem, it's about $1 per tag with a $50 startup fee. Not cheap, but not that expensive. I usually trade mine for another sigitem. If I find another I treat it like swag - swap tags if I have mine with me, or trade it for something else.

Speaking of which, have you got your sigitem yet? You mentioned something about cubic zirconium once.

I have been dropping off CZ stones but they aren't connected with my geoname unless someone reads the logs. I haven't quite figured out how I want to personalize them yet.

I have been dropping off CZ stones but they aren't connected with my geoname unless someone reads the logs. I haven't quite figured out how I want to personalize them yet.

You could always resort to the easiest - a plastic baggie with a note. Having something carved on it would be difficult / expensive or both, I think.

You could always resort to the easiest - a plastic baggie with a note. Having something carved on it would be difficult / expensive or both, I think.

I do put them in plastic baggies and sometimes in those little plastic vials that come with some bison tubes. Still working on an idea in which I can incorporate all of the machines I have access to without it being an overly taxing experience.

Maybe just a note would work...~L

I'd like some free geocoins and ammo cans if anyone has them. Maybe a few grand for my Corvette fund would be very nice as well. :laughing:

OOOOooooOOOooo I'd like some of that action! Only I don't need money for something as impractical as a Vette. I just need a few houndred-thou to pay for my NEW house and pay off my old cars. Oh and to pay for the old house that I can't seem to give away even though I put 30K+ into improving it. :ph34r:

Seriously though. I'll trade my sig smashed coins (12 different designes) for pathtags at ANY opportunity so shoot me an email if you want to trade.

38afa2b0-8860-43c9-99f8-df12bd027ee6.jpg

c6b41132-569f-4268-8150-97ccb7e1ffe5.jpg

da2d213d-a0b1-420e-bcf4-85b995c93535.jpg

bcfb6191-02ca-4f63-a9fe-112f8a8d76fc.jpg

Where did you get these from?

Where did you get these from?

I asked too but haven't heard back, so I googled, and one alternative :

http://www.rockyrockholt.com/products.htm

Bottom of the page. Penny Press on a Post. Unfortunately, no price mentioned. The larger machines are about $6000 to $7000 on another site. Even if it is $1000, I don't see a penny squisher in my immediate future :ph34r:

I got my machine from Rocky Rockholt. He's a very nice guy and his press on a post product is solid first class engineering. I love mine.

Don't even kid yourself that you'll get outta the door for 1K. You'll be spending 2+K with him minimum unless you can engrave your own dies.

I spent considerably more than that because I have 12 front side designs and 2 different backside designs + I bought a buncha supplies.

Word to the wise; if you have the skills, do your own design work and send it in to him. He was a pain in the butt over design changes, but I really can't blame him. However, I'm still in the market for a good engraver. I wasn't 100% satisfied with his engraving.

Overall nice guy, helpful, and pleasant to deal with. I'd use his services again if I can't find a local engraver or learn to engrave myself. (Which I plan to do.)