60CSX or OR 550? Which is better for mapmaking.

seldom_sn

I don't cache. I make maps. I've been watching the buzz about the new Garmin Custom Maps and trying to convince myself that I should spring for an OR 550.

Then I read that I could probably only get 10 miles square of imagery into the unit, so I know that's not going to cover an entire vacations hikes.

For me it will come down to geotagging with the built in camera, the nifty new file management features, but mostly whether the OR 550 will give me better accuracy than a 60CSX with an antenna in my hat.

I've looked at Penrod's and G-O-Cashers reviews of the 550 but I can't find any accuracy measurements. Do such things exist?

Thanks in advance.

I doubt any consumer grade GPS is going to be more accurate than a 60csx with an external antenna -- at least not enough to make a difference.

But because you say you're more interested in making maps than geocaching, I think you're lookng in the wrong place for info. You might look at DeLorme's XMap software--head over to http://forums.delorme.com and ask some questions there. Or skip the forums, just go to DeLorme.com and download product info and manuals.

Edited by lee_rimar

I doubt any consumer grade GPS is going to be more accurate than a 60csx with an external antenna -- at least not enough to make a difference.

But because you say you're more interested in making maps than geocaching, I think you're lookng in the wrong place for info. You might look at DeLorme's XMap software--head over to http://forums.delorme.com and ask some questions there. Or skip the forums, just go to DeLorme.com and download product info and manuals.

Thanks, but I've used my 60CSX for about 3 1/2 years. It seems to be accurate enough, and it got more so when I added the antenna. I'm looking for test data, or accuracy standards. Something I can compare between units, without having to buy one of each and take them for a walk or let them sit in my back yard.

... I'm looking for test data, or accuracy standards. Something I can compare between units...
Sorry, I haven't seen a standardized, side-by-side accuracy comparison of the exact two setups you describe.

Even though you say you don't want to do the testing yourself, you're after a pretty specific comparison (60csx+external antenna versus the Oregon 550T) and you're in a better position to test them than having someone else do it for you. As you already have the 60csx, it might be worth taking a gamble on buying the 550T. Compare against what you have. If it's great (or even "good enough"), sell the 60csx -- if not so great, return the 550T.

I expect your choice will come down to more than just accuracy though -- like how well the camera works for you, and.or if you like the touchscreen on the 550T.

Edited by lee_rimar

Go to REI. Buy a 500 (not the 550t, if you want maps spend the money on the 24K for your area for a bunch of reasons). Test it for a week and then take it back. You probably haven't perused the forums but the 60CSx with the helix antenna (especially the older ones before the switch to the MEK chip) are considered by many to be the most accurate of all Garmins. The 500 series will not be as accurate as the 60 (they rarely find a WAAS satellite) and under cover they stink. I know I have one.

Go to REI. Buy a 500 (not the 550t, if you want maps spend the money on the 24K for your area for a bunch of reasons). Test it for a week and then take it back. You probably haven't perused the forums but the 60CSx with the helix antenna (especially the older ones before the switch to the MEK chip) are considered by many to be the most accurate of all Garmins. The 500 series will not be as accurate as the 60 (they rarely find a WAAS satellite) and under cover they stink. I know I have one.

Thanks for the tip. Have you tried the 60CSX and the 550 (no T) simultaneously? Taken both for a walk for example?

This link:

http://gps.wmsar.info/oregon/

Made up my mind. Seems the 60CSX is the best I can do.

Last Updated: August 4, 2008

The problem is that this is really out of date. The Oregon GPS firmware has changed a lot since then and the data shown there is not current nor correct.

I guess the question is how much the Firmware affects the 60CSX performance vs. the chipset. Mine's a SirfStar, so the report might be a good fit for older units like mine.

I've been using a SIRF GPSMAP 76CSx (same as a 60CSx) for a while now and recently picked up the Oregon 550 and have to say the the OR does pretty well vs the 76. I think that comparison was done some time ago and doesn't mention what software versions are being used, a lot has changed in the past year.

I've been using a SIRF GPSMAP 76CSx (same as a 60CSx) for a while now and recently picked up the Oregon 550 and have to say the the OR does pretty well vs the 76. I think that comparison was done some time ago and doesn't mention what software versions are being used, a lot has changed in the past year.

I stopped trying to convince the csx owners they dont need to bash the new stuff. Some figure it out and get the latest some just wont let go. I do blame alot of this on the early release and all the bugs, but now, there is no comparison in my mind. The Oregon and more so the Colorado are every bit as accurate and have so much more to offer. Anyone that has access to both can verify that with the latest updates, the new units will win out with all they have to offer.

the 60s were/are great units, but their age is starting to show and the sirf chip is not better anymore. Sure it was the standard as the best at the time, others have learned and have produced equal since.

But some will still feel the need to try and convince anyone that will listen that they should forgo the latest for 5yr old units. Sure if you have one, keep it I know I would. But to go out and pay just as much for an old dated unit with no way to use alot of the newest tricks of the trade(aerial photos, full paperless , etc) just seems like an unwise choice to me.

Edited by RangerR47