Making my own geocoin

Crafty Turtle

I do not mean commissioning a coin with a company who will register it and give me an activation number.

I mean I want to physically manufacture my own one-of-a-kind coin with my own bare hands. Yes, I have the skills to do this. I am quite crafty.

What I need to know is how can I get it registered/activated so I can track it? I need a GC code to stamp on the coin. Where can I get one?

I have not been able to find this info - everything just points me to companies that will make a coin with my design. Grrrr.

Anyone done this?

Oh wow - both responses are very helpful, thank-you.

Blorenges - I like your outside the box thinking. Have you tried this? Does it work? I mean, can I just transfer a number like that? It sounds so simple! There's got to be a catch.

Ace862 - it looks like I can buy a tracking code from a coin-maker. I couldn't see which ones do this, though - any clues?

Hmmmm.... if the buy-a-TB-and-use-the-number thing works, I'll do that. (It sounds the simplest)

Blorenges - I like your outside the box thinking. Have you tried this? Does it work? I mean, can I just transfer a number like that? It sounds so simple! There's got to be a catch.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work, it is after all just a number

(yes .... we know it's not about the nubers)

put the number on your "coin", and set it free, the only downside i can see is that it won't have its own "icon" it will just just show as an ordiary TB in a caches inventory

..........Smurf

Edited by Smurf

If you use the tracking number from a set of TB tags and stamp/engrave it onto your own crafted coin it will be tracked in exactly the same way as any other TB item and the TB icon will show up against any cache where it's dropped.

Like any TB you can call it whatever you want. You can put all the interesting info about it into its description, you can add a photgraph of it and set whatever mission you'd like it to have.

The only slight drawback is that TBs are usually recognised by the fact that they have the usual metal TB tag attached to them: Your coin might not be immediately recognised as a trackable item because cachers might not notice the tracking number on it... So it might be a good idea to put it into some small protective bag with an explanatory note saying "trackable on geocaching.com".

MrsB

Drill a non-silver dollar, place a cable through with TB tag and mission tag attached.

Now you have a real travel coin.

Less likely to be taken, because by drilling it through, you have deactivated its' usefulness to the rest of the world as currency. :(

EDIT: This works very will with US "golden" dollars, and CA "loonies".

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

About $4 for a tracking number seems rather steep to me, and your coin won't have a custom icon (as far as GC is concerned, it is a TB). If these two points are not show stoppers, go for it.

As an alternative, you can try:

1. Look into buying a small block of numbers from a geocoin manufacturer. I'm not sure if this still happens, I stumbled across a discussion about this a while back. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can give more details

2. Have it trackable at a site other than geocaching.com. For example, sigitem.com - do note that chances are people wouldn't bother to do it.

About $4 for a tracking number seems rather steep to me, and your coin won't have a custom icon (as far as GC is concerned, it is a TB). If these two points are not show stoppers, go for it.

As an alternative, you can try:

1. Look into buying a small block of numbers from a geocoin manufacturer. I'm not sure if this still happens, I stumbled across a discussion about this a while back. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable can give more details

2. Have it trackable at a site other than geocaching.com. For example, sigitem.com - do note that chances are people wouldn't bother to do it.

Tracking numbers cost $1.50 from this site, just for the number (at least in bulk of 100 at a time).

Custom icons here run $150 I think.

Tracking somewhere else is kinda useless right now - it's like having a betamax. It might work, but you'll be all by yourself.

Easiest way is to buy a travel bug, as suggested earlier.

Yeah I think it's all very well to buy in bulk, to get a cheaper per-unit cost, but if you only want one or two, it's a bit of a false economy. Why pay $150 for 100 when you can pay $4 for one? I'm pretty sure I'd never use 100 in my lifetime. Imagine keeping track of them all! And as creative as I am, I don't think I could come up with 100 designs, or 100 travel purposes for the coin.

Really, one is enough.

Maybe when I travel overseas, I could drop one in a cache there, with the mission of it finding its way home to me.

It would be nice of there was a reseller who would sell individually: a number and an icon from a selection of their more popular icons... flags, caching icons, animals, smilies, peace sign, stars, etc, So nothing is "custom", just you choose from an existing list.

That would be nice.

She could also just buy a cheap (4-5 dollar) coin off ebay or somewhere unactivated, and transfer that number to her coin. That way it will at least show up as a coin on GC.com instead of a TB generic metal tag.... The icon will be up for grabs though...

Don't have to use eBay for that, you can get CacheKinz from the Groundspeak store for $5 (possibly cheaper elsewhere). Good suggestion, almost any coin looks more visually interesting than the dog tag. Might even get the OP addicted to collecting geocoins :(

And, yeah, if you're only doing 1 or 2, forget what I said about getting blocks of numbers. That'll be way more trouble than it is worth.

That's a good idea. I'll make a few.

Make sure you have a separate tracking number for each coin that you make; multiple items with a single serial number is against the rules and will result in your item being locked.

Another option you might want to consider is to contact some of the vendors and see if they'll sell you a small quantity (say, five) of geocoin tracking codes. Unless you pay an extra $150, you won't have a custom icon, but rather a "personal geocoin" icon, but at least it'll be a coin icon instead of the TB icon (if you care about such things). Your coin design would still have to be approved by Groundspeak, and I'd recommend getting in touch with them anyway just to make sure this would fly. If so, though, I'm sure that there are some vendors who'd be willing to sell you some codes for a custom product.

Please, by all means, though, post pictures when you're done -- I'd like to see what you make, and I'm sure everyone else will, too!

If you're interested, btw, check out the Upik Nuannertoq thread (all hand-made, home-cast coins) and also the Coalcache thread (hand-made coin made from pulverized coal and resin). These are just two examples of how clever, crafty people make really cool geocoins by hand. : )

hi,

1.to avoid the TB icon you can purchase a travel tag sort of coin - coinsandpins have them as well as lots of other manufacturers. These will have a unique icon and the person picking it up would ordinarily be expecting the tag to be attached

2.I would be willing to ask GC about order some spare codes for crafty things as this question comes up a lot and i have to order a block anyway soon. The other point about using a coin code is you MUST get the design/s approved first. So you need at least a drawing. Travel bug tags do not have this stipulation.

3. re 1 and 2 - not sure if leaving the tags off violates some sort of GC rule but i expect so.