sd card on vista hcx

trinibob

The map files can only be up to 4 GB, as it is a limitation of the FAT32 file system. There is not much point in using a larger card.

Hmmmm....interesting.

Apparently, such FAT32 file system limitation does not apply to my 16GB Transcend SDHC card, which Windows explorer reports as being formatted to FAT32.

This card functions as expected with 14GB of maps and imagery in my DeLorme PN-40.

Hmmmm....interesting.

Apparently, such FAT32 file system limitation does not apply to my 16GB Transcend SDHC card, which Windows explorer reports as being formatted to FAT32.

This card functions as expected with 14GB of maps and imagery in my DeLorme PN-40.

Yes, it does....

Individual files cannot be larger than 4 GB.....

I assume the Delorme units don't put all the maps into one file. This model Garmin puts all the maps into one file. The newer units allow multiple files, so it is not a limitation with those.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table#FAT32

The maximum possible size for a file on a FAT32 volume is 4 GB minus 1 byte (232−1 bytes). Video applications, large databases, and some other software easily exceed this limit. Larger files require another formatting type such as NTFS.
Edited by Red90