Geocoinfest Aftermath

anne.and.eli

Snip...

..... I noticed MN got a dusting of SNOW Saturday Morning. Not a good thing. Hope next year is more of an Indian Summer.

I was going to say it but I bit my tongue...

A little snow never hurt anyone :P It builds character just like getting lost errr I mean being misguided.

Wanna bet? I know there is no way in hell I can drive in it at all anymore after being away from it for almost 18 years. And with a rental car, I certainly wouldn't want to take a chance. That's a HUGE liability.

Sheesh, you should try it on a motorcycle!!! :D:huh:

Not to hijack this thread, but I am curious as to what MEGA events are coming up and where they might be? I'm doing a bit of "research" for an upcoming mission I am involved in!! If anyone can help me with these, please PM me!!

I think GeoWoodstock is in the early spring? Are there any yet to be hosted this year?

THANKS and sorry to disrupt this thread...now back to your regularly scheduled programming!

Not to hijack this thread, but I am curious as to what MEGA events are coming up and where they might be? I'm doing a bit of "research" for an upcoming mission I am involved in!! If anyone can help me with these, please PM me!!

I think GeoWoodstock is in the early spring? Are there any yet to be hosted this year?

THANKS and sorry to disrupt this thread...now back to your regularly scheduled programming!

GW is July 4th weekend.

After only getting a few hours of sleep from the night before we headed down to the second floor to help get everything organized. It was nice to get a chance to see what the vendors were selling before the huge swarm of people arrived. There really wasn't much time to browse around and mingle.

I think the most hectic part of my day was when the silent auction boards would finish and while getting that taken care of we would also have to take care of getting the raffle winnings situated. I don't think I had a chance to sit down for a few hours. Since we were so busy we had to send people out on a food run just so we could eat.

Aside from running around like a chicken with my head cut off, it was nice to briefly chat with people/friends that I have only spoken to online. It was also really great to see and chat with the people/friends I've met in person.

I was a bit nervous to play poker because I've only played against my husband a couple of times while he was teaching me the game (he beat me every time). I guess I didn't have much to worry about since I made it to the 2nd to last table! He taught me well!

I did manage to make some trades and buy a couple of coins (it was so hard not to buy!). When I was packing my bag later that night I couldn't believe how many coins and pathtags I had! So much for getting out of coin collecting :P I really should attend GAA meetings...

Edited by BRoKeN W

After only getting a few hours of sleep from the night before we headed down to the second floor to help get everything organized. It was nice to get a chance to see what the vendors were selling before the huge swarm of people arrived. There really wasn't much time to browse around and mingle.

I think the most hectic part of my day was when the silent auction boards would finish and while getting that taken care of we would also have to take care of getting the raffle winnings situated. I don't think I had a chance to sit down for a few hours. Since we were so busy we had to send people out on a food run just so we could eat.

Aside from running around like a chicken with my head cut off, it was nice to briefly chat with people/friends that I have only spoken to online. It was also really great to see and chat with the people/friends I've met in person.

I was a bit nervous to play poker because I've only played against my husband a couple of times while he was teaching me the game (he beat me every time). I guess I didn't have much to worry about since I made it to the 2nd to last table! He taught me well!

I did manage to make some trades and buy a couple of coins (it was so hard not to buy!). When I was packing my bag later that night I couldn't believe how many coins and pathtags I had! So much for getting out of coin collecting :P I really should attend GAA meetings...

You sound just like me last year...I think it was around 3:00 or 4:00 when I realized that I had not eaten since a very early breakfast. :D

You sound just like me last year...I think it was around 3:00 or 4:00 when I realized that I had not eaten since a very early breakfast. :P

:D I ate half a bagel at 8:30am and then ate around 3pm. You just stay so busy that food doesn't even cross your mind.

No doubt. I threw my bagel on the floor and just waited until lunch at 3. :huh:

:P I was wondering who threw a perfectly good bagel on the floor!! :P

I found my cold hamburger with 3 bites taken around 4:00 but decided to hold out for a nice quiet dinner. I actually even gave up my poker seat.....just too dang tired to play! What an experience!!

BTW...LeNore, I forgot to give a package to Yime for you and Jim, I will mail it to you very soon!!

You sound just like me last year...I think it was around 3:00 or 4:00 when I realized that I had not eaten since a very early breakfast. :P

:D I ate half a bagel at 8:30am and then ate around 3pm. You just stay so busy that food doesn't even cross your mind.

No doubt. I threw my bagel on the floor and just waited until lunch at 3. :P

:huh: I completely forgot about you throwing the bagel on the floor. Too bad you didn't try and crawl under the weird table cloth to get it. That would have been a funny sight! :P

And one more question, who sold the Sunray geocoin?
If you mean the three in the bottom right of her pic, that is my Tribal Sun! The black nickel one was my number one seller at the festival, a few are left at my shop.

Oh and great news, my paypal stuff is almost resolved. Funny how everyone got locked out and received fraud alerts. I assume that had to do with folks signing into multiple computers. My transactions "to people" are all resolved, just 4 pending ones "from people".

Edited by Zelanzy

No doubt. I threw my bagel on the floor and just waited until lunch at 3. :P

:P I was wondering who threw a perfectly good bagel on the floor!! :D

I found my cold hamburger with 3 bites taken around 4:00 but decided to hold out for a nice quiet dinner. I actually even gave up my poker seat.....just too dang tired to play! What an experience!!

BTW...LeNore, I forgot to give a package to Yime for you and Jim, I will mail it to you very soon!!

Thanks! Hope you don't go thru GCF planning withdrawal :huh: Just think what you can do with all of that spare time now! Time to cache!

:P We were cussing up a storm on our way too. It was great seeing so many people doing U-turns and going down street after street trying to get back onto I-15 NB. I really wonder why there was only a few detour signs (none of which helped).

I will write more about GCF later. We really need some sleep after not getting very much this weekend.

Steph,

how on earth did a Geocacher with a GPS manage to get LOST!!

ROFLMAO! :)

i was thinking the same thing! for driving past the location, you get a "did not find" unhappy smiley face! :P

:D I'll have you know I didn't get lost,why won't anyone believe me? lol

First of all, I drove all the way down to SLC without amap of any sort! (probably mistake #1 but I couldn't find my atlas before I left). Second, The queenbee gave me directions herself, what more do I need?Thirdly, I didn't download anything on my GPS, I almost didn't bring it but threw it in my bag last second so that wouldn't have helped me anyhow. Fourthly, when you're a country kid who lives in a state with less people than Salt Lake City itself that traffic totally sucked and I don't think I said so many swear words in my life since I had to drive to Cali for GW acouple years ago :) Fifthly, how the heck am I suppose to know when the heck the SLC ended and the next town began? They all run together, it all looks like one giant city to me. I drove until I recognized a name of a different town (not having a map is a bad idea :D ) then i knew I was waaaaaay past where I should have been. Sixthly :huh: once I got the RIGHT directions, I found it pretty easily. Seventhly when I left SLC this morning, I-15 NB lane was closed and I was wishing I had a map but I did find my way out after a half hour :) without a map. I was cussing up a new storm this morning. Eightly, when I finally got to the event, seems like everyone knew I had been driving around for well over an hour trying to find the place. Pete was zero help :)

Hey give a Montana kid credit, the last thing on my mind out the door was; "heck, who needs a map, it's right off I-15, how hard can it be to find?" Famousl ast words of a fool without a GPS or map, lmao.

I was NOT lost, I was misguided! Did I mention I hate driving in the city? :D

Sorry 'bout all the construction. As locals we're used to it. Well not used to it but learn to expect it. Very few places you can go anywhere in the valley without running into some construction. We recently changed our State Tree to an Orange construction cone. :P

Have a couple questions to ask, what is the south park looking on toward the botton right lower corner? We really like it. The two Arches toward the top was that the Event geocoin? They are so beautiful. And one more question, who sold the Sunray geocoin? You sure got alot of nice loot. OOh and before we forget Congrads on being preggers with a baby, That is great news :P

The south park looking coin is a non-trackable GCF 2009 friendship coin from Lyonden_ut, also on the coin are Jentlelyon, Big_Ron, Loridarlin and the Cache-A-Teers. Lyonden_ut was handimg them out to folks at the event. We were one of the lucky ones to get one from him!

The two arches toward the top are not the official GCF coin, but are the GCF coin from Compass coins there is a night and day version.

The "sunray" coins are the Tribal Sun coins from Zelanzy, as he already stated.

Thanks for the congrats!

So...I'm not the only one who forgot to eat? Wow, glad I wasn't alone. It wasn't until around 12-ish that I think I finally realized that Redwing_Dave had put a couple of bagels on the table! Just too crazy to even see food in front of me. I think I even gave a piece of pizza to Tsun, who probably only nibbled on Nutella out of nervousness!

Oh, and PayPal? As if we all didn't need enough reason to shout "PAYPAL SUCKS!" I called them after they started flagging accounts, and they gave me this explanation about protection, and blah blah blah, and I was like...uhm, these are big boys and big girls using their big boy/girl accounts with their big boy/girl passwords...but hey, it's YOUR fees that aren't accumulating, so enjoy shooting yourself in the foot, bozos. Heh. :(:D

In all seriousness, if anyone knows a better way to accept payments at an event like that, let's discuss it for future events, because nobody should have to go through what we went through from PayPal.

So now I'm waiting impatiently for my coins to get back here to PA. Can't wait to go back and check out the ones I received as gifts from friends, and the few trades I made. Managed to get a Capt. Prozac and a DHobby1 v2, which was a thrill for an old schooler like me!

Paypal froze a lot of people out? Sounds like a horror story for both buyers and vendors. Maybe use google checkout?

Yeah, don't get me wrong...any company being concerned about your financial safety is a good thing. But apparently PayPal's experiencing so much fraud around the world, they've decided to put some really overbearing restrictions in place that are way more difficult to undo than they should be. Even verbal confirmation of my password, address, personal information, etc. wasn't enough, and I just don't agree with that. Heck, I was so frustrated, I even asked the PayPal guy if I needed to give him my Grandmother's underwear size! I'm sure that'll give 'em a kick at the next CSR training seminar.

Can't hurt to check out Google Checkout! Thanks for the info LB4T, never knew about it.

Paypal froze a lot of people out? Sounds like a horror story for both buyers and vendors. Maybe use google checkout?

Yeah, don't get me wrong...any company being concerned about your financial safety is a good thing. But apparently PayPal's experiencing so much fraud around the world, they've decided to put some really overbearing restrictions in place that are way more difficult to undo than they should be. Even verbal confirmation of my password, address, personal information, etc. wasn't enough, and I just don't agree with that. ....

As a matter of fact, I just hung up the phone with paypal. They would not believe who I was until I called them from my HOME phone. I worried a lot this weekend that the folks who never recieved payment from me at GCF would think I was some kind of deadbeat. :( Arghhh!! The whole point of paypal is that I would like to be able to make purchases when I am not at home.

It took a while to untangle tonight, but all is finally up and running again. The worst part was, I had to then curb my coin purchases to what I had in cash! You're lucky I came to your booth first, Yime. :D I remember realizing I only had $20 left in my wallet after visiting only a couple of vendors, and honestly thought for a second, "food, or more coins?".

This seems to be a popular topic, so I'll chime in here. I've had paypal mess with my accounts before because of travel. But as a customer that relies heavily on being able to send and receive cash, I've learned how to cope. If I'm traveling somewhere and planning to do some shopping, I call paypal and have a chat. They can setup IPs in the area you're traveling to not trip fraud alerts. Just by telling them the cities you're heading to. They're very happy to help you not blow up your paypal account with just a little prior planning :D

TMA

I also had to call paypal today to get them to release the holds on the last three coin sets of coin purchases. Some of them they reversed automatically, didn't even bother with a hold. It's really awesome when you go back to a vendor to get more coins and are told that your paypal payment didn't go through and suddenly you're on the line for a couple hundred bucks. >< (I was buying for five people!)

But, it looks like it's all cleared up now! I will definitely call them ahead of time in the future. I didn't know they would do that.

This seems to be a popular topic, so I'll chime in here. I've had paypal mess with my accounts before because of travel. But as a customer that relies heavily on being able to send and receive cash, I've learned how to cope. If I'm traveling somewhere and planning to do some shopping, I call paypal and have a chat. They can setup IPs in the area you're traveling to not trip fraud alerts. Just by telling them the cities you're heading to. They're very happy to help you not blow up your paypal account with just a little prior planning :D

TMA

Then somebody needs to re-train the guy I spoke to, because I asked about that "calling ahead" and was told that the flagging of accounts can't be avoided no-how no-way because it's automatic. :roll:

This seems to be a popular topic, so I'll chime in here. I've had paypal mess with my accounts before because of travel. But as a customer that relies heavily on being able to send and receive cash, I've learned how to cope. If I'm traveling somewhere and planning to do some shopping, I call paypal and have a chat. They can setup IPs in the area you're traveling to not trip fraud alerts. Just by telling them the cities you're heading to. They're very happy to help you not blow up your paypal account with just a little prior planning :unsure:

TMA

Then somebody needs to re-train the guy I spoke to, because I asked about that "calling ahead" and was told that the flagging of accounts can't be avoided no-how no-way because it's automatic. :roll:

I called paypal too yesterday and had words :( I was told and given a number (which I can not find at the moment) that you should call at least 15 days in advance to let them know and that there is a downloadable program that allows you to take payments without all the BS we're going through now. I asked it was free and if it was associated with paypal and the guy said he didn't know if you had to pay to use it (imagine that) but it is a branch/association/owned by paypal.

Just when you think you can't get hosed much more by paypal, this happens. I have about 10 payments I'm waiting on and I asked the guy what my protection was if these people decide they don't want to answer back and release the payment (because they were given product immediately) and the guy didn't seem to have a clear answer.

The part that really torqued me was when I got home, the very next day (now 2 days after the event), they decide to hold back another round of payments that were previously cleared. I just can't see using paypal for a large event in the future because they can't be trusted.

Fortunately I know most of the coiners who have payments locked up and clearing, so I know where to drive and bust knees if I have too :D

What a flippin' mess.

...paypal...

What a flippin' mess.

This just goes to show you. Three people, three different experiences / phone calls about the same subject. How is anyone supposed to figure it out if they can't? :D:unsure:

Exactly and 1 perfectly good reason why I'd never run another presale because these goobers don't know what their own company rules are. It was really annoying when the guy on the other end of the line kept saying, "I completely understand what you're saying Ms. _______" everytime I was explaining something and I wanted to say "completely understand this _______ dipstick" (but less nice :()

Well, I'll have to worry about pictures later...I still haven't gotten to bed, and I have a silly event to host tomorrow...Let's just get your minds going by saying...

I WON THE JAR OF COINS!!!

oh, Yeah, I also got a bunch of trading done!!

Congratulations on the win!

Ditto

WOW, Robert - AWESOME ! ! !

Fortunately I know most of the coiners who have payments locked up and clearing, so I know where to drive and bust knees if I have too

OMG GCF must have really affected Tsun! She threatened to kick my butt but now she has escalated to busting knees!!! :unsure::D

She's aiming lower... must be tired. :(

So...I'm not the only one who forgot to eat? Wow, glad I wasn't alone. It wasn't until around 12-ish that I think I finally realized that Redwing_Dave had put a couple of bagels on the table! Just too crazy to even see food in front of me. I think I even gave a piece of pizza to Tsun, who probably only nibbled on Nutella out of nervousness!

Oh, and PayPal? As if we all didn't need enough reason to shout "PAYPAL SUCKS!" I called them after they started flagging accounts, and they gave me this explanation about protection, and blah blah blah, and I was like...uhm, these are big boys and big girls using their big boy/girl accounts with their big boy/girl passwords...but hey, it's YOUR fees that aren't accumulating, so enjoy shooting yourself in the foot, bozos. Heh. :laughing::D

In all seriousness, if anyone knows a better way to accept payments at an event like that, let's discuss it for future events, because nobody should have to go through what we went through from PayPal.

So now I'm waiting impatiently for my coins to get back here to PA. Can't wait to go back and check out the ones I received as gifts from friends, and the few trades I made. Managed to get a Capt. Prozac and a DHobby1 v2, which was a thrill for an old schooler like me!

Well, I didn't get caught up in the PayPal mess, but I know with a Credit Cardm that you can inform them in advance if you are going to be doing some spending that may apear fradulent, and they can expect it. I informed my Credit Union of my career change into trucking, and that I would be having transactions all over the place...Sometimes 1000 miles apart from one day to the next...I have never had a problem. Maybe there is a program like that with PayPal

Hahaha, okay, just for you guys, here's a picture. The burlap bag is the da vinci challenge coin set.

coinpile.jpg

oooh, now that I have internet at home again, I can see pictures of GCF loot! There are several here that I am drooling over. That arch coin? and the armadillos are out now! Woohoo...

And you got a Frozen Buns coin, one of my all time faves...good on ya!

Just wanted to thank the organizers and volunteers for putting on a great event!

We arrived at the event at 11:30 Saturday as I had to work that morning. We were having so much fun meeting people and trading/buying coins before we knew it it was after 4! We left the event with alot of coins and good memories. Had to stop around the corner and grab some dinner (the pregnant girl was starving... and so was I) before heading home.

Would love to go to next years, but we will have a brand new baby, so odds are uncertain. Hopefully we can make 2011.

Thanks again to the event organizers and volunteers, and thank you to everyone who stopped and traded and chatted with us! It was wonderful to put faces (and hugs!) to the online names, and everyone was just as wonderful in person as we had imagined.

Here is a pic of our spoils, lots of trades, lots of puchases and some winnings! we won on 4 of our 6 raffle tickets :D

coin004.jpg

Have a couple questions to ask, what is the south park looking on toward the botton right lower corner? We really like it. The two Arches toward the top was that the Event geocoin? They are so beautiful. And one more question, who sold the Sunray geocoin? You sure got alot of nice loot. OOh and before we forget Congrads on being preggers with a baby, That is great news :D

oooh, I see me in there! I'm so glad I was there in some form....

Just wanted to thank the organizers and volunteers for putting on a great event!

We arrived at the event at 11:30 Saturday as I had to work that morning. We were having so much fun meeting people and trading/buying coins before we knew it it was after 4! We left the event with alot of coins and good memories. Had to stop around the corner and grab some dinner (the pregnant girl was starving... and so was I) before heading home.

Would love to go to next years, but we will have a brand new baby, so odds are uncertain. Hopefully we can make 2011.

Thanks again to the event organizers and volunteers, and thank you to everyone who stopped and traded and chatted with us! It was wonderful to put faces (and hugs!) to the online names, and everyone was just as wonderful in person as we had imagined.

Here is a pic of our spoils, lots of trades, lots of puchases and some winnings! we won on 4 of our 6 raffle tickets :D

coin004.jpg

Lots of great coins! What's the lion coin just up and to the right of the word City on the bag?

Thanks!

coin004.jpg

Lots of great coins! What's the lion coin just up and to the right of the word City on the bag?

Thanks!

That's JaY mIlLs' -Rasta Heart - personal.... it's been out a couple of years. Here's the antique nickel version.

Edited by Droo

Thanks!

That's JaY mIlLs' -Rasta Heart - personal.... it's been out a couple of years. Here's the antique nickel version.

Cool, I'll have to add that to my wish-list. One of my daughters is VERY into lions.

Thanks!

Have you seen this one? Lion's Courage

lionnickel4.jpg

Thanks, I had seen that one and one of the Dutch coins, but not the Rasta Heart. I see you've got a Rasta Heart on your trader list.. once I've built up some trading inventory I will have to look you up.

Thanks! And sorry all for the thread hijack.