Being safe after dark

bittsen

I was just informed of a log on a cache I recently did that had a bad experience after dark.

I will premise this by saying that this cache is in the parking lot of one of the most popular recreational spots in the city. I have been to this spot hundreds of times both during the day and at night. I would never have considered it an unsafe place.

This is the log from the cacher:

DO NOT GET THIS ONE AFTER DARK!

I made the mistake of getting this one after dark. After retrieving the container from its hiding spot I got back in my car to sign the log. As I got in the car three men surrounded my vehicle and demanded that I open the door. I refused, put it in reverse and floored it deciding that the man behind me would either move or be run over. He moved but not without breaking out my right rear window with a baseball bat. I called 911 from a few blocks away but the police were unable to locate the men. I asked the officer to replace the cache container and I watched as he did so.

The sad thing about this, apart from the obvious I mean, is that I was so shaken up that I didn't even sign the log and my insurance company won't cover the damage.

I'm still claiming the find. CO can ask me where/what the container is/was if necessary.

It is a clear example of what can happen when searching for caches after dark.

Just a reminder to be careful out there and keep your senses active.

I was just informed of a log on a cache I recently did that had a bad experience after dark.

I will premise this by saying that this cache is in the parking lot of one of the most popular recreational spots in the city. I have been to this spot hundreds of times both during the day and at night. I would never have considered it an unsafe place.

I made the mistake of getting this one after dark. After retrieving the container from its hiding spot I got back in my car to sign the log. As I got in the car three men surrounded my vehicle and demanded that I open the door. I refused, put it in reverse and floored it deciding that the man behind me would either move or be run over. He moved but not without breaking out my right rear window with a baseball bat. I called 911 from a few blocks away but the police were unable to locate the men. I asked the officer to replace the cache container and I watched as he did so.

The sad thing about this, apart from the obvious I mean, is that I was so shaken up that I didn't even sign the log and my insurance company won't cover the damage.

I'm still claiming the find. CO can ask me where/what the container is/was if necessary.

Wow,....Im glad physically you are fine. Was that on that shiney silver sports car you posted up on one of the other posts the other day? Ouch

I always feel sick to my stomach when I read something like this.

I'm nervous any time I'm in a city or populated area, even in broad daylight. But I have no fear at all when tramping through the rural woods late at night...because I know I'm the only person out there.

I would give this finder an extra bonus smiley!

Wow,....Im glad physically you are fine. Was that on that shiney silver sports car you posted up on one of the other posts the other day? Ouch

I think I need to clarify this. I was NOT the one in this situation. It was just a recent log on a cche I was looking for.

Again, I am NOT the author of the log. I was not involved.

I just posted it as a reminder for people to stay safe while caching, especially at night.

I think the sad part is that the author was unable to run the bastard down. A clear case of self defense if I ever heard of one.

Any time you walk out the front door you are taking a chance. Bad things can happen in the most benign of places. Strive to be aware of your surroundings. It takes practice. Whenever you go someplace, like walking through a parking lot, stop and think about what you saw as you walked. Then turn around and take a look. What did you notice and what did you miss?

As for the broken window if you have glass coverage and the insurance company refuses to pay get a different insurance company and then sue the old one.

I think I need to clarify this. I was NOT the one in this situation. It was just a recent log on a cche I was looking for.

Again, I am NOT the author of the log. I was not involved.

I just posted it as a reminder for people to stay safe while caching, especially at night.

Got it. That speed reading course I took doesnt work worth a darn! Thanks

I think the sad part is that the author was unable to run the bastard down. A clear case of self defense if I ever heard of one.

Any time you walk out the front door you are taking a chance. Bad things can happen in the most benign of places. Strive to be aware of your surroundings. It takes practice. Whenever you go someplace, like walking through a parking lot, stop and think about what you saw as you walked. Then turn around and take a look. What did you notice and what did you miss?

As for the broken window if you have glass coverage and the insurance company refuses to pay get a different insurance company and then sue the old one.

A $5,000.00 window replacement sounds just a bit excessive to me.

A $5,000.00 window replacement sounds just a bit excessive to me.

Once again your point seems to be based on facts not in evidence. Where did you get the $5k number?

Scubasonic,

Mr. Glock? I know him well. My wife has been known to "sneak" out and about with a couple o' fellers.......Smith & Wesson, under the cover of darkness, while I am touring the Springfield Armory! She will oftentime mumble in her sleep "Kimber, Kimber." Whatever shall I do? :D

Not in my state.

Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America

:) +1. This is why you always need to be looking around you and totally aware of your situation. This could happen anywhere and not just at certain geocaches.

Scubasonic,

Mr. Glock? I know him well. My wife has been known to "sneak" out and about with a couple o' fellers.......Smith & Wesson, under the cover of darkness, while I am touring the Springfield Armory! She will oftentime mumble in her sleep "Kimber, Kimber." Whatever shall I do? :D

That Kimber sure will take a beating lugging it around all of the time. Kimbers are too nice for beating up. :laughing:

dang to bad not even a foot ran over (may have saved the window). bet the cops would have found em then as well, "So sir how did you crush every bone in your foot?" :ph34r:

Definately need to be aware in a city environment, alot more preditors there then in the woods. me personally i can walk right through the worst part of the ghetto here no problems (one has said cause of how crazy i look, :laughing: who knows) but even then im always aware of whos around me what they are doing, escape routes if needed, possible defensive weapons off the street, etc. always gotta be watching and listening, though i now understand when looking for a cache you get focused alot on the find and less on whats around you making it easier for city jackles to sneek up.

caution caution caution that all that can be done, would rather skip the cache as a dnf for the night then get hurt or mugged etc. though i have found (state law allowing) that if you get a cheap rotating yellow light from a store more ppl leave the vehicle and its occupant alone for thought that is security or something that can get the law there quick

Now that makes me nervous. I don't see myself searching after dark too much anyways, but I definitely will only go after dark with my hubby. Crime has become a problem with the economy the way it has been. People are desperate and can be a little crazy in their desperation. Practice safe night procedures. Park in well lit areas, always pay attention to your surroundings, and check backseat if you have one. Carry a big heavy flashlight like a mag light. It could help if you have to use it! At least leave a mark for id. Our biggest worry where I am is nosy neighbors, or wild critters.

I have a job (and thankful for that alone with the current economy) which involves traveling and allows me time to geocache as well! :( I'm out at night in both metro and rural areas with many caching opportunities. IMHO it all boils down to common street sense. Everyone's familiar with terms like "gut feeling" or 'just doesn't look right"... Night caching can be a lot of fun; I do it often, but as other posters have so wisely stated: safety first! Be aware of your surroundings and if it doesn't look/feel right, head off to the next cache. (you DID have a few more in mind, right?) Come back during the day. Or not. it's just a cache. My favorite traveling buddies are a Sig P220 (.45) or a J-frame in a leg rig at times. Guess I'm lazy though as I'd sooner leave trouble in the rearview mirror if possible. Otherwise you risk making a mess, waking up the neighbors (especially with the Sig) and then there's all the doggone reports to fill out instead of a 3:00 AM In 'n Out Burger stop.

Just my $.02... stay safe and Cache On!

Edited by 6079smithw

Not in my state.

Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States of America

:D +1. This is why you always need to be looking around you and totally aware of your situation. This could happen anywhere and not just at certain geocaches.

Scubasonic,

Mr. Glock? I know him well. My wife has been known to "sneak" out and about with a couple o' fellers.......Smith & Wesson, under the cover of darkness, while I am touring the Springfield Armory! She will oftentime mumble in her sleep "Kimber, Kimber." Whatever shall I do? :(

That Kimber sure will take a beating lugging it around all of the time. Kimbers are too nice for beating up. :D

Knight2000, copy that on the Kimber. Our everyday carry guns are Springfiels Armory XDMs in 40 S&W.

It's my first "tupperware" gun and it's a great shooter! :D:lol:

As 6079 said, my situation tends to favor caching at night. In both urban and wilderness settings I would say well over 75% of my finds have been in the dark. I tend to avoid city parks or other places that have set curfews late at night, although there have been times when I decided the risk of a sneak-in, sneak-out operation was very low. I am always very careful if there are residences anywhere nearby, whether there is a posted curfew or not.

I am an ex-special operations guy with many, many years of moving at night in difficult terrain. Most of this was in LRSD (surveillance) and sniper/counter-sniper settings, so it was always very sneaky rather than overt.

No matter what trouble I run into, I am always very aware of my surroundings, and if I can, I choose flight over fight any day. At night, out in the woods, I have the huge upper hand and it is unlikely anyone can find me or keep up with me. You may have heard Navy SEALs say (because it is where their equipment and training give them the best advatntage) "if you get into trouble, get to the water." For me it's "If you get into trouble, get to the woods," it is my element. I have only had one run-in out caching, and I faded into the woods.

BTW, and this is off topic... I do most of my caching in a state that does not honor reciprocal concealed carry permits. :D Most counties in Iowa are "shall issue" for residents but require well-documented risk justification for non-residents--and they are very up-front about your odds, very few will be approved. Typically you have to show that you have a restraining order that has been habitually violated. Be very careful about concealed carry into other states besides your own.

I stopped caching at night alone when I lived in Washington last year and had two bad experiences on the same night. One being http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx?LU...36-3dff31ccecec and the other near the Green River where I was approached by a muggle who made similar remarks. When I got in my car and left he did to and followed me. I was able to make a quick U turn and he couldn't. Later I realized what the Green River was. I know that guy was caught but I am starting to wonder if that river is just bad luck. After that I felt vunerable about caching alone at night.

Had you signed the log, would the insurance company have covered you? :D

Sorry Im always tryin to make people smile. That indeed would have scared the crap out of me. I took a twig directly into my eye that I had PRK on even though I had a flashlight.

Definately be careful at night.

through the rural woods late at night...because I know I'm the only person out there.

don't bet on it. i just spent twenty days tramping around int he rural woods, sometimes at night and there were usually other people somewhere nearby. deserted for miles and then -bam!- a guy who'd pitched his tent the same 300 feet off the trail where i happened to have been wandering.

miles off the road, and -bam!- hunters coming in after dark.

if YOU are out in the rural woods, other people can be, as well. and every time you turn on that flashlight of yours, you can be seen a LONG way in the distance.

I'm probably more careful in rural woods at anytime versus the city. Too many people don't necessarily look at land ownership before placing a cache and in the woods here we have a lot of people who are protective of their property and don't want people snooping around. They don't think twice about using force to remove you. Also a number of meth and pot operations are hidden out in the woods and if I'm out there the owners of those operations could be as well and I'm sure they don't want me snooping. If something seems off or the people around me feel shifty I get out of there.

I remember seeing this log! It's about a cache at Blue Lake Park isn't it? That's way out East Of Portland!

That park is frequented by immigrants..if you get my meaning? :) I would never venture out there with out a chaperone (Smith & Wesson, Glock, who ever is within reach).

I tend to take my Blackberry with me. No that is not a cell phone. It's the name of my 357. This way when my wife asks if I have my Blackberry with me and I say yes, no one really understands but us. I don't take it into the city because I don't tend to cache at night there. I usually take it into the woods. We have lots of bears and other critters around here. But I do agree with the earlier post that I'd rather just fade into the woods rather than fight. I'm really good at that too. Here, watch me fade awa....

Agreed. Now that person is still out there ready to do the same thing to someone else who may not be so lucky as to be in their car. Had it been me, they would've been picking his teeth out of my windshield.

I do need to get a CCW though. My Ruger doesn't help much at home.