Anybody think it would be funny...

chrisrayn

I got to thinking...every cache I've ever checked up on that is posted in the Plano/Frisco/McKinney area of the Dallas/Forth Worth metroplex that is posted is found within 15 minutes.

So I got to thinking it would be pretty funny if maybe you had a small container, and it was right next to your house, if you could maybe keep a watch on your email and as soon as your cache posts, you could heat up a Jimmy Dean sausage biscuit, or something of similar size, put it in a zip lock back, put "FTF prize" on the bag in sharpie, and then keep a watch on the cache until someone comes up and finds a warm sausage biscuit in the cache?

I think the reaction would be priceless.

maybe some funny thoughts I could keep inside my head and not let them out.

Edited by chrisrayn

The best FTF prank I ever read about occurred in Arizona. As a joke to a FTF addict, the cache owner posted a new cache without actually placing a geocache. All the other local geocachers were in on the joke. The FTF hound had no idea, and he went nuts trying to find the non-existant cache, all the while everyone else "logged finds on the invisible cache."

lol that is funny, id love to be able to do that to some people like that here. :(

The best FTF prank I ever read about occurred in Arizona. As a joke to a FTF addict, the cache owner posted a new cache without actually placing a geocache. All the other local geocachers were in on the joke. The FTF hound had no idea, and he went nuts trying to find the non-existant cache, all the while everyone else "logged finds on the invisible cache."
Might have been even more fun to get as many as possible of the other local cachers together and sit at the cache site right after posting. When the FTF hound showed up, they would all be there to say "Too late, we already found it"!

I got to thinking...every cache I've ever checked up on that is posted in the Plano/Frisco/McKinney area of the Dallas/Forth Worth metroplex that is posted is found within 15 minutes.

So I got to thinking it would be pretty funny if maybe you had a small container, and it was right next to your house, if you could maybe keep a watch on your email and as soon as your cache posts, you could heat up a Jimmy Dean sausage biscuit, or something of similar size, put it in a zip lock back, put "FTF prize" on the bag in sharpie, and then keep a watch on the cache until someone comes up and finds a warm sausage biscuit in the cache?

I think the reaction would be priceless.

maybe some funny thoughts I could keep inside my head and not let them out.

Make it a nice warm Cinnabonͭͫ and I am totally there!!

Edited by bittsen

I've been involved with several April Fool's Day cache hides, include The Sloop Fair Lady (try to anagram SLOOP FAIR LADY).

The couple we punk'd were never the wiser until we revealed the prank years later. The story came after I came up with the title, so the shipwreck is total fiction. What's funny is we'd occasionally see logs like "What a sad story, it's nice to honor the lost souls". We kept joking we'll eventually see The Sloop Fair Lady wreck mentioned in a book of local wrecks eventually!

Warm food or not, I'd be hesitant to eat anything I find in a geocache, unless I happen to know the hider personally. Of course, since I'm not motivated enough to go after caches minutes after they're published, I won't ever have to worry about being in that situation.

I'm not too crazy about a cache right next to my house, but if it works for you, go for it. It sounds like fun. Maybe some tweaks to the idea.

Rather nasty attitude. And it violates the guidelines.

The Rule is to avoid spoiling food (A health concern) in the cache and to deter animals from beating up and carrying the caches away. I'd say if the owner is watching the cache to see the look on the FTF's face I'd say no harm in this case.

But Harry Dolphin is right its against the rules, personally though I think its a great prank and this should be videotaped.

The Rule is to avoid spoiling food (A health concern) in the cache and to deter animals from beating up and carrying the caches away. I'd say if the owner is watching the cache to see the look on the FTF's face I'd say no harm in this case.

But Harry Dolphin is right its against the rules, personally though I think its a great prank and this should be videotaped.

If you want to talk about pranks, I could come up with a few.

For instance. Make a cache thats in a wooded area and call it something like "flowers for mummy". Get a good halloween mummy costume and get ready for the cache to be published.

When the FTF shows up, well...you get the idea. I would love to see the look on someones face when they see that the cache is a mummy sitting, leaning up against a tree and they go to search the mummy for the cache and see the mummy move...

Yeah, I can see it. Of course some cachers carry a gun so it might not be a good idea.

Rather nasty attitude. And it violates the guidelines.

Harry Dolphin had me scratching my head. I wasn't sure if he's responding to the OP or to #4, since I don't think the OP's attitude was even remotely nasty.

What about the newbie cacher that might just have signed up that day and picked that cache to find?

Wasting peoples gas, time and money isn't funny to me.

heat up a Jimmy Dean sausage biscuit, or something of similar size, put it in a zip lock back, put "FTF prize" on the bag in sharpie, and then keep a watch on the cache until someone comes up and finds a warm sausage biscuit in the cache?

Warm food or not, I'd be hesitant to eat anything I find in a geocache, unless I happen to know the hider personally.

You no likey Jimmy Dean? You can trust his microwave. :laughing::D:)

What about the newbie cacher that might just have signed up that day and picked that cache to find?

Agreed. I would add that it is extremely unlikely that 'all the other local cachers' could be advised of the joke. How would one create a list of 'all local cachers'?

every cache I've ever checked up on that is posted in the Plano/Frisco/McKinney area of the Dallas/Forth Worth metroplex that is posted is found within 15 minutes.

Are those caches challenging enough? This surely only works for Traditional caches. I do suppose long hikes and difficult puzzles take longer ..?

Perhaps you should create a cache that cannot be found "soon". A nightcache is an example, or a cache that can only be done at low tide, or a cache that needs information that is available only between ... well, you get the idea.

I once went for a FTF it was a 20 mile drive and it had not been put out yet, in fact another cacher showed up as well HUGE waste of time and resources. I did get it the next morning though.

ScubaSonic

I've had the same thought about a hot sandwich in the cache! I've also thought about hiding-out at the cache site right after it was posted and take pictures of the FTF hounds to and post them on the cache page. ( ensuring their faces were hidden )

That gave me the idea to post a motion sensor camera near the cache. You know, one of those that hunters use. I figure for sure it would be found wily cachers though.

yeah, that's real funny.

some people thought they'd play that prank on me a while ago, but i didn't bother to go out and find the cache and the bogus logs piled up and then people not in on the joke tried to find the cache and the pranksters were all, like, "what do we do now? somebody go put a container there!"

so they put a container there and started heaving around recriminations about who leaked the prank to me, but nobody had, so nobody 'fessed up. and then eighteen months later i told someone i was thinking of going to get the cache and she said "uh, you DO know about that, don't you?"

and of course i didn't, so she told me.

and then a few months after that i accidentally came across a thread in a neighboring state's forum entitled "let's drive flask nuts" where they were planning the whole thing.

i never took the bait. no particular reason; i just didn't feel like going caching the day that cache came out.

now THAT's funny.

to this day i still haven't logged that cache as found.

my signature's in the logbook, but the entry says "i was never here. just try to prove that i was." and it's dated "sometime in the future".