How to deinstall Mapsource 6.15.5

Breiti

I installed Mapsource 6.15.5, but infortunately it has a bug.

Now I tried to update the version with Mapsource 6.15.6, however, it does not work.

When the setup program tries to deinstall the old version, it always asks for a file main.msi.

I tried to provide this file by extracting the mapsource.exe-file via winrar, but these files (from a Mapsource 6.15.6, 6.15.4, and a 6.13.6 version) were not accepted by the deinstallation routine.

Any help?

I installed Mapsource 6.15.5, but infortunately it has a bug.

Now I tried to update the version with Mapsource 6.15.6, however, it does not work.

When the setup program tries to deinstall the old version, it always asks for a file main.msi.

I tried to provide this file by extracting the mapsource.exe-file via winrar, but these files (from a Mapsource 6.15.6, 6.15.4, and a 6.13.6 version) were not accepted by the deinstallation routine.

Any help?

install the version Mapsource you want use...then install it a second time

Regedit

Only useful if you know what to mess with ... and how to avoid messing up.

Download and run Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and delete the Mapsource installations from the list of installed applications. Much safer than monkeying with the registry editor if you're not sure what to hack.

That should remove the entries that are messing with the Mapsource installer. A restart before trying to install again might be in order.

Once you're done, or if that isn't enough to get the installer working, get a good registry cleaner utility. I use the free version of Windows SystemCare. It has a lot of other stuff, too, but it has an excellent registry cleaner in it. It should clean out the offending registry entries. Suggest that you do a restart after running it to clean out bad installation stuff, before you do any further installation activity.

EDIT: I should warn anyone who has never used a really good registry cleaner that if you decide to run SystemCare's registry cleaner you will be astonished at how many entries it will offer to remove the first time you run it.

I had used the old RegClean utility for years and thought it was pretty good. The first time I ran the SystemCare registry cleaner it offered to remove over 15,000 (yep, fifteen thousand!) entries. I took a look through the list it was offering to remove (you have complete control over what it removes or if it removes anything, so don't panic) I discovered just what a crappy job Windows and various applications do of cleaning up after themselves. The majority were "most recently used" type entries that were no longer relevant. After cleaning all that junk out of there there was a noticable difference in system performance.

...ken...

Edited by Ken in Regina

The simplest way, if it's a recent installation, is to use Window's System Restore function.

I have used several registry cleaners. The best I have used (free) is ccleaner. You will be supprised at the problems that it will fix. (I have no vested interest in the program. Just a happy user.)

Roger