Looking for help finding caches on Reservations

Hi Everybody,

I plan on releasing a Geocoin in honer of The native nations within the United States and Canada. The goal of this Geocoin would be to visit as many Native American lands as possible. The problem is that not all tribes allow physical geocaches on their land or it is a big hassle to get one place there. It is just one of those governmental issues. I wanted to start it out in the Menominee nation of Wisconsin however there is only a virtual cache there. I have decided I will physically take it to the virtual myself and "dip" it. Then take it to a physical cache in either the Stockbridge or Oneida nation of Wisconsin and leave it there to travel to another. The problem is it is difficult to tell sometimes where exactly the lines are. On our geocaching maps everything just blends in together. One cache I did find I thought was in the Oneida nation but the only way to tell for sure is by fire numbers and the like and I was not paying enough attention nor did I have this coin in mind at the time. Now I did message Groundspeak on this. Here was their answer.

Hi,

I am sorry but we do not currently have an automated way to search for caches. You will need to do a manual search through the site.

Thank you,

Best Regards,

So I need everyones help. If you know of a cache that is in one of the native nations (first nations in Canada) please give me a private message through my account. I will add it to the list of potential caches to visit.

Thank you much,

Matt_B_Good

Since your post does not ask for a search feature as a new feature request, this post doesn't belong in the Geocaching.com Web Site forum. I'm moving it to the Geocaching Discussions forum. It's also cool for readers to post their contributions here in the thread rather than privately.

Since your post does not ask for a search feature as a new feature request, this post doesn't belong in the Geocaching.com Web Site forum. I'm moving it to the Geocaching Discussions forum. It's also cool for readers to post their contributions here in the thread rather than privately.

Thanks, I wasn't 100% sure on the edict for this type of thing. I would prefer a private message to assure I get it. Sometimes posting gets lost in the shuffle and I might not check the thread as often as my messages. I'm looking for caches on Reservations for all of the United States and Canada. it will really help the geocoin's mission.

Speaking as one observing this topic from afar, I'd be really interested to see links to any caches on the Reservations, as it's something we know little about here in U.K.

MrsB :(

I have an archived cache that was on reservation land. Do you have more specific questions?

Jim

Speaking as one observing this topic from afar, I'd be really interested to see links to any caches on the Reservations, as it's something we know little about here in U.K.

I have an archived cache that was on reservation land. Do you have more specific questions?

Jim

How did you match it up with the geocaching maps to know it was on the Reservation? Sometimes it can be obvious but often the lands are not contiguous or it is real fuzzy as to exactly where the line is.? I'm trying to compile a list of all active caches on Reservations as I can so the coin visits as many as it can. Kind of a checklist.

Jim

Not really :anibad: I was just thinking that caches on Reservation lands would probably have interesting information about the area and the tribe that owns the lands... and maybe interesting pics in the Gallery.

MrsB

Jim

How did you match it up with the geocaching maps to know it was on the Reservation? Sometimes it can be obvious but often the lands are not contiguous or it is real fuzzy as to exactly where the line is.? I'm trying to compile a list of all active caches on Reservations as I can so the coin visits as many as it can. Kind of a checklist.

In the state of Washington Moun10bike published a .kml file of the reservation lands. That makes it simple.

For other states I would do a google for Indian reservation gis. This should yield some hits and once you have the shape files there are shapefile to .kml converters. With the .kml you can use Google Earth to manipulate the data.

Hope this helps,

Jim

Jim

Not really :anibad: I was just thinking that caches on Reservation lands would probably have interesting information about the area and the tribe that owns the lands... and maybe interesting pics in the Gallery.

MrsB

Mine had a write up of the area the cache was placed. But like all caches, your mileage might vary.

Jim

Jim

In the state of Washington Moun10bike published a .kml file of the reservation lands. That makes it simple.

For other states I would do a google for Indian reservation gis. This should yield some hits and once you have the shape files there are shapefile to .kml converters. With the .kml you can use Google Earth to manipulate the data.

Hope this helps,

Jim

It might help but I am not sure what .kml file is nor gis? I don't know what shape files are either? Pardon my ignorance on this but I just never heard nor read anything about them. maybe i have used them and didn't realize it, who knows? If I can figure these things out I could get at the caches within Washington state that are on Reservations added to my list. it certainly would be progress.

Jim

Hope this helps,

Jim

It might help but I am not sure what .kml file is nor gis? I don't know what shape files are either? Pardon my ignorance on this but I just never heard nor read anything about them. maybe i have used them and didn't realize it, who knows? If I can figure these things out I could get at the caches within Washington state that are on Reservations added to my list. it certainly would be progress.

GIS = geographical Information System. Things like addresses, boundaries, etc.

.KML = Keyhole Markup Language. You import this to Google earth and it displays routes, polygons or what ever the .kml file describes.

.KMZ = zipped .kml file.

Shapefiles = A data file that usually defines a polygon.

For the restricted areas in Washington and Idaho, go to Moun10bikes profile and click on the hiding tips tab. You will be able to download the .kmz files.

Wiki is your friend. As I said if you google Indian reservation gis you should find some hits. Be aware that the files will probably cost some nominal amount.

Jim

The US Census Bureau provides reservation outlines in it's Tiger/Line map data(Moun10bike gets data from Tiger/Line data). The Census Bureau provides a Tiger Map Map Server for the data and one of the layers that you can display is" Indian resv"

Oh wow! That is extremely helpful. Thank you so very much. It will be alot of work matching these areas up with caches in those areas but it certainly is off to a good start. the only thing i don't like about that map is it does not name the tribe. I know some but not all of them. The ones within Wisconsin i pretty well know but i will need more research to find the rest. I really do appreciate the help from all of you. The latest post most of all.

Thank you

The US Census Bureau provides reservation outlines in it's Tiger/Line map data(Moun10bike gets data from Tiger/Line data). The Census Bureau provides a Tiger Map Map Server for the data and one of the layers that you can display is" Indian resv"

Oh wow! That is extremely helpful. Thank you so very much. It will be alot of work matching these areas up with caches in those areas but it certainly is off to a good start. the only thing i don't like about that map is it does not name the tribe. I know some but not all of them. The ones within Wisconsin i pretty well know but i will need more research to find the rest. I really do appreciate the help from all of you. The latest post most of all.

Thank you

Buxleys maps was a non-affiliated with Geocaching.com predecessor to Geocaching.com Google Maps. As a matter of fact, Google didn't even do maps back then. :P However, after long negotiations, Buxleys and Geocaching.com never could come to an agreement on the use of cache coordinates, so all Geocaching.com caches were removed from the maps in 2006.

To make a long story short (and address the topic at hand) Buxleys used (and still does) Tiger Census Maps for the U.S.A, and caches are overlayed on them. So it can be done, I just have no clue how to do it.

Edit: Those little Google maps you see on the cache page with a marker for the cache? Navicache does the same thing with a little Tiger Census map. I viewed the source of a cache page over there, and it seems to be done with a javascript. Again, this is way out of my league.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

GC1GE75 The ABC Cache is right across the street from the Indian Reservation.

The Muckleshoot Indian Tribe in Auburn WA

I can't find any cache right on this reservation. They do seem to not like them there.

I might suggest allowing caches right AT reservations, such as this one right across the street.

Right over the property boundaries might be good too (just on the white man's side).

That way you could have one at each reservation.

Just a thought.

To make a long story short (and address the topic at hand) Buxleys used (and still does) Tiger Census Maps for the U.S.A, and caches are overlayed on them. So it can be done, I just have no clue how to do it.

You could start here. GPSBabel coverts a PQ gpx to a Tiger Map file. Ask about GPSBabel in the GPS & Tech forum because the moderator is the Babel Head.

I assume a reservation is a stricter version of caching in a park rules where you need permission to place a cache.

In Montana I know of a few on the Res. For the Reservation between Missoula and Kalispell center your search on Ronan, MT. There is a cache there called Wok in the Pok- GC1W066 we found it last weekend and it has enough room for a coin. If you use the Tiger Map link from that cache you can see the extents of the Res and get a feel for all the caches there.

For eastern MT, try the Plenty Coup Cache in Pryor as a search starter: GCM6JF

Jennifer

Edited by Jennifer&Dean

Matching up the map is harder than I expected. It gives you the option to mark a coords but the dot puts me in the middle of the ocean. There must be a glitch. Anyway, at the present time it seems impossible to match them all up. I will list the caches some of you have told me about as caches for the coin to visit. If anyone comes up with more I would appreciate it. Maybe some day the google maps will show these kind of things but right it is difficult to find a way. Thank you so much everyone for all your effort and keep them coming if you come across more.

In Montana I know of a few on the Res. For the Reservation between Missoula and Kalispell center your search on Ronan, MT. There is a cache there called Wok in the Pok- GC1W066 we found it last weekend and it has enough room for a coin. If you use the Tiger Map link from that cache you can see the extents of the Res and get a feel for all the caches there.

Jennifer

Thank you, I added them to my list. However I don't know what tribe owns the land they are on? Do you? I am much more familiar with the lands in my part of the country.

GC1GE75 The ABC Cache is right across the street from the Indian Reservation.

The Muckleshoot Indian Tribe in Auburn WA

I can't find any cache right on this reservation. They do seem to not like them there.

I might suggest allowing caches right AT reservations, such as this one right across the street.

Right over the property boundaries might be good too (just on the white man's side).

That way you could have one at each reservation.

Just a thought.

It might not be true that they don't like them there. As little as one person not wanting them there is all you need on a Reservation sometimes. Let me explain. In the nation closest to me Geocaches fall under Reservation land use. Any land use ideas have to be approved by the 9 tribal council members as an anonymous yes. So therefore a physical cache to be placed in the Menominee nation of Wisconsin you need to get an anonymous yes from all 9 tribal council members. It is not an easy task. It may be easier in some of the nations to place a cache but it many times takes tremendous effort for a cache to be placed on a Reservation.

Jennifer

Thank you, I added them to my list. However I don't know what tribe owns the land they are on? Do you? I am much more familiar with the lands in my part of the country.

Reservations in Montana

The first cache I mentioned is on the Flathead Reservation. The second is on the Crow Reservation. We've found caches in Cut Bank, MT which is on the Blackfeet reservation and I know there are more on the Fort Peck Reservation.

Jen

Jennifer

Reservations in Montana

The first cache I mentioned is on the Flathead Reservation. The second is on the Crow Reservation. We've found caches in Cut Bank, MT which is on the Blackfeet reservation and I know there are more on the Fort Peck Reservation.

Jen

So all of Cut Bank is on the Blackfoot Reservation? If so it would be easy for me to search there for caches. I would just have to put the city name into the geocache search engine. Thanks for the additional info. I will be using it.

Jennifer

Reservations in Montana

Jen

So all of Cut Bank is on the Blackfoot Reservation? If so it would be easy for me to search there for caches. I would just have to put the city name into the geocache search engine. Thanks for the additional info. I will be using it.

MrsB :D

That's the beauty of assimilation. Celtic culture is alive and well (though speaking english) as part of a larger nation. Plus the Celts were strong enough to form nations when they were invented. There is a lot of history (bloody history) before a fairly good result came about. The U in UK and Ireland.

Here we have captured and preserved strife and conflict by creating neutered sub nations out of a peoples who were tribal and didn't quite pull together the nation thing in time to resist. The history is still bloody but I'm not sure it's a better outcome in todays world. Our wars are now political and get in the way of things like reparing roads as petty turf battles consume day to day business. It creates bad blood and a hostile atmosphere for caches though plenty of gambling opportunites. Every tribe is different. At least one tribe has recognized that our blood is mixed and that while we may have different origions we are now bound together by blood, marriage, and family and separation isn't easy or viable. This is a wise tribe. That said I think even the stupidest tribe is smarter than congress. Guess who has the power?

So to the OP, your goal isn't realistic for the political climate. Plus not all native tribes have reservations. Some have corporations, some are not "federally recognized" though they are alive and well. It would be far easier to do a heratage coin and go through each tribe starting. You may finish before you pass on. Then again this is your coin and so good luck.

http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx...;lng=-112.44475 is one in Fort Hall

Edited by Renegade Knight

Many tribes have very strict access rules for non-members. Indian guides are required for many outdoor activities. They are trying to preserve their environment, religion and culture; and don't want non-members romping and stomping through their home. It is also a source of income.

Every tribe is a little different. All want to preserve what they have but some are certainly more strict about land use than others. I can certainly understand them being cautious. As you can see though there are a few caches on native land.

Jennifer

Reservations in Montana

Jen

I checked further and Cut Bank is just outside the boundary. But there are 3 caches within the boundary, one near Cut Bank and 2 at East Glacier- try GC1FJ2E.

On the Rocky Boy Reservation I see around 5 caches- try GC1T4DB.

On the Fort Peck Reservation there is one that I spot, a real nice write up about the tribe is part of the description- GCQD5Z.

For anyone interested I was able to find a few in my area that are on Indian Reservations. GC1J7XO has a reference point within the Mohican tribe's land here in Wisconsin. GC13Q34, GC1EQ85, and GC1EHJP are all located within the Oneida nation. I got this by lining up the Tiger map suggested in this thread with the Google maps provided though Geocaching.com. It is hard to line up and I beleive there are at least a good half dozen more on the Oneida Reservation.

Jennifer

Reservations in Montana

Jen

I checked further and Cut Bank is just outside the boundary. But there are 3 caches within the boundary, one near Cut Bank and 2 at East Glacier- try GC1FJ2E.

On the Fort Peck Reservation there is one that I spot, a real nice write up about the tribe is part of the description- GCQD5Z.

Thank you again I will add them to my list shortly

Jennifer

Reservations in Montana

Jen

I looked long and hard and with the help of the maps people gave on this thread along with the google maps for Geocaches I was able to look and see if the other two Reservations in Montana have any geocaches. Fort Belknap has one, GC1V5E5 I do not see any in the Cheyenne Nation. As we can see getting a Geocache published on native land is quite a task. trying to find them is not really easy either. I am so glad for the help from the forum I would still be on square one without your help. It looks like I have the state of Montana covered. Several states have no Reservations I was surprised to find this out but Illinois is one of them. So I have two states down. I am about half done looking in my home state of Wisconsin and also one cache to aim for within Canada. Despite what I thought earlier the Tiger map is helping a great deal. I just had to learn how to use it. This is an awful lot of work but it will be worth it.

Interesting fact about special Reservation land use:

Did you know that part of Back to the Future 3 was shot on a Reservation. Also some Native Americans were given a short acting job in that movie. They played 1885 natives. The scenes were shot with special permission from the tribe. It is in the commentary of the movie.

Thank you

You can select "my topo" on the geocaching.com google map, and that will help in your research too. Bottom line is that it will take a lot of careful research.

Thank you

You can select "my topo" on the geocaching.com google map, and that will help in your research too. Bottom line is that it will take a lot of careful research.

Wouldn't you know it one of the best ways to find them was right under my nose all the time. I am finding all sorts of them now. Thank you very much. It is still alot of work but it is happening. the only trouble I have now are these places where a tribe might have 10 acres here 20 there , maybe 30 in another spot scattered all over. It is easy to go now though to an area where the land is contiguous and find them. Many tribes have no caches on their land but I would say it is like one third to one quarter that do not have any at all. Most that do have them it is usually half a dozen or less. I have to search each state individually zooming in and out changing map modes and such but it is working. Some states have no Reservations. I found this odd but at least it makes my search easier.