Feature request: Attributes showing language

Löjan

I think the topic title say it all, but in addition (or as an alternative) to this maybe also attributes saying: "Cache description in local language of the country in question" and "Cache description in local language of the country in question with an English summary".

Would be great! Thanks!

That would require a LOT (REALLY A RELATIVELY HUGE NUMBER) of attributes to cover all the possibilities.

I do see how it would be useful, but the implementation would be unlikely.

There are 6,909 known living languages in the world.

Certainly many of them are unlikely to be used for a Geocache write-up, but leaving any one (or more) out would absolutely not be politically correct, and thus not conceivable.

That would require a LOT (REALLY A RELATIVELY HUGE NUMBER) of attributes to cover all the possibilities.

I think the OP is just asking for a "Local Language Only/Local Language + English" attribute.

Meaning if the cache is in Germany, the first selection indicates the description is only in the local language (German).

I think the OP is just asking for a "Local Language Only/Local Language + English" attribute.

I was thinking about something like this. Attributes:

[EN] - available for English speaking cachers

[non EN] - not available for English speaking cachers.

It will be very hand when you visit countries where other than English language is in common use. I know there are lots of languages, but English is most international and basic language of this page. When cache description is translated to other than local language there is mostly English. Some puzzles you can slove only using local (non English) language, this attribute will help filter out these.

I think there is some merit in being able to have attributes indicating the language(s) of the cache page.

To avoid the straw-man 6909 objection, perhaps we could select preferred language on our profile and any language meeting some arbitrary threshold (5%?) would be included as a possible attribute.

Having cached only in the US, this hasn't been an issue for me. However, I can easily imagine a French-only-speaker wanting to select only caches in Switzerland which they can read (to remove the English-centric slant of the original suggestion.)

Edited by beejay&esskay

I'm as internationalist as they come, but I think that this could have some merit (even) if it were limited to English only ("yes, this cache has an English description"), on the basis that a cache in, say, Germany is unlikely to have a description in Finnish, Swedish, French, etc anyway. I don't think that Portuguese speakers, say, would regard such a feature as some kind of grand consipracy by the evil Anglo-Saxons.

My main concern would be with how useful the English translation is. On the one hand, running a cache page through an online translator takes only a few seconds for the occasional visitor from another country. On the other, that's exactly what many COs do, but without telling you. So when you're on-site reading ""The limps is on the highly-rated of the cant" (I have seen this, for "the box is on the side of the slope"), you might imagine that it's something mystical, rather than a stupid mechanical translation - or someone's 12-year-old kid in their first year of English at school, translating one word at a time with a dictionary.

Whole geocaching.com website is in English, including guidelines and other terms and conditions what you have to confirm as you undrstood and accepted. Main topics on this forum are in English. So English language skill is necessary to use this website, even if is basic. Skills in Portuguese, German, Finnish, Chinese or Africans is not necessary. Making attribute EN/nonEN is just simple, and what is most important - useful for many people. Other options are too complicated

I was thinking about something like this. Attributes:

[EN] - available for English speaking cachers

[non EN] - not available for English speaking cachers.

English Description Available: Yes/No

So who's going to design the icons?

Hello,

I have a suggestion related to this topic. I think it would be very helpful for people like me who are traveling a lot or living in other country (where they can't understand the local language good enough) if there would be an option to translate the cache description from the local language to English for example with the google translator (it's not perfect, but good enough) and write the translated text into gpx file. I imagine being a premium member when having everything much easier - so this would ease my work a lot, because I would not need to search which cache description I have to translate, use third party program (which I can perfectly use when not being premium member).

I think it would be very helpful for people like me who are traveling a lot or living in other country (where they can't understand the local language good enough) if there would be an option to translate the cache description from the local language to English for example with the google translator (it's not perfect, but good enough) and write the translated text into gpx file.

I like this idea too!

I think the topic title say it all, but in addition (or as an alternative) to this maybe also attributes saying: "Cache description in local language of the country in question" and "Cache description in local language of the country in question with an English summary".

Would be great! Thanks!

Cache Attributes are just that - CACHE Attributes. They're about the actual cache, not the cache page. Perhaps some sort of language indicator has merit, but it doesn't belong with the Attributes.

Cache Attributes are just that - CACHE Attributes. They're about the actual cache, not the cache page.

So this will be 1st attribute about cache page. Cache description is very often necessary to find the CACHE and manage COORDINATES. This will help filter out caches when you travel to other country. It will save your time and data transfer from Groundspeak's server. Everybody happy :lol:

OK, I know, not everybody... :anicute:

Cache Attributes are just that - CACHE Attributes. They're about the actual cache, not the cache page.

So this will be 1st attribute about cache page. Cache description is very often necessary to find the CACHE and manage COORDINATES. This will help filter out caches when you travel to other country. It will save your time and data transfer from Groundspeak's server. Everybody happy :)

OK, I know, not everybody... :angry:

See Jeremy's previous posts on what Attributes are and are not for.

Perhaps another approach to this would be to have a new field similar to the “Long Description” but have it be an “Alternate Language Description” with a protocol for the field that the first line needs to simply contain the word “Language:” followed by the english name for the language. I would also want to see an “Alternate Language Short Description” and “Alternate Language Hint” using the same protocol.

I would prefer that we not use icons to identify languages. Just a case in point, I am not writing in this language: fc920091000313b62.jpg. :) This can be better done with a drop-down list to represent a field. The language identified in such a field would be the language of the Short Description, Long Description and Hint.

All this would happen much sooner if someone could convince Groundspeak that they are in an international market place. If a sponsor were to show up and suggest that they could sponsor things (e.g. ads) if alternate languages were part of the picture, then things might change.

Yes, of course, and this one onehour-yes.gif means "accesible after 1:00 PM", this one available-yes.gif means "multi-cache with 24 stages including 7 physical" and this one stealth-yes.gif - cache dedicated to Prime Suspect (looking at your avatar) :)

It really doesn't matter how this sign looks, because every one is explained. I've seen people often using [EN] (or [DE], [CZ], [PL], [HU] etc.) and everybody knows what it means. Oh, sorry, forgot, not every one ;)

This attribute will be just helpful for people who travelling and will not affect others.

Jholly, for You it's funny, but maybe in the future You want go abroad from USA to look for cache. Yu also maybe use this attribute.

For me it's important "English Description" attribute.

For You it's important "beer region" attribute :blink:

It's possible to add at least one of them?