newb looking for a GPS

a while back I asked the experts (you guys) what GPS would be the best for me. I held off on buying one till now & I'm sure technology has changed a bit.

things i'm looking for

has to have trip meter

good battery life

easy to use

$300 - $500 range

somewhat compact

The majority of use will be hunting & horseback riding on new trails & state/national parks. Setting waypoints at stand locations & keeping me from getting lost in the woods

last time the garmin 60csx was a popular recommendation, but I've been hearing a lot about the oregon 400t

what's the cat's meow?

thanks for helping out

a while back I asked the experts (you guys) what GPS would be the best for me. I held off on buying one till now & I'm sure technology has changed a bit.

things i'm looking for

has to have trip meter

good battery life

easy to use

$300 - $500 range

somewhat compact

The majority of use will be hunting & horseback riding on new trails & state/national parks. Setting waypoints at stand locations & keeping me from getting lost in the woods

last time the garmin 60csx was a popular recommendation, but I've been hearing a lot about the oregon 400t

what's the cat's meow?

thanks for helping out

First I would recommend heading to the gps subforum.

Second Garmin is the popular choice, but the Delorme PN series are making headways into Garmins territory. I personally have a PN-40 and minus battery life I couldn't ask for a better unit. There are a couple of PN series nuts on these boards who have done very long and lengthy posts on them I would recommend doing a search and see what turns up.

ok, after an hour or so of reading I have a couple questions

1. does the 400t and the pn-40 both have trip meter? (actual route distance traveled)

2. I've heard "aerial maps" mentioned, do any of these GPS units support terraserver images or are these just topos?

1. The PN-40 does have a trip meter.

2. AFAIK, the -40 does not directly support terraserver images. They come with their Topo, vector maps in the box and one may download from DeLorme rasterized USGS 3DTQ 24:1 map imagery.

things i'm looking for

has to have trip meter

good battery life

easy to use

$300 - $500 range

somewhat compact

Vista HCx :anibad:

trip meter, yup

battery life, 25 hours

easy to use, yup

about $200 at Amazon

compact

free maps at gpsfiledepot work great

waypoints, sure! You can even have custom waypoint icons that include tree stands and other outdoor icons

I still get lost in the woods though, but at least I can tell people exactly where I am. :(

I have a factory refurbished vistahcx that I really love. Also have the venture which is less expensive and very useable. YOu can't put large maps on it, mine has no maps at all.

I just put the free gpsdepot maps on my vista and love it!

Be aware that trip meters, all of them, are prone to inaccuracies. I read where people get really discouraged with a particular model, yet don't understand how to be aware of and get around those shortcomings.

Whatever model you decide - you can save money if you find a factory refurbished model. They come just like new - you couldn't tell the differance if you didn't know.

If you are looking for aerial imagery, the PN-40 has this and I see that there is a way to now load them to some Garmin units as well. Not sure how the Garmins do it, so can't speak to tht, the PN has a subscription offer that allows unlimited downloads of aerial (color and B&W), NOAA charts and USGS topo.

There's a thread about the new support for raster imagery in these forums...

I'm a proud owner of a Delorme PN-40 and the aerial imagery is one sweet option that if there's any way you can swing it then the Delorme PN-40 is an awesome little caching machine that has the option to use aerial imagery. If you're interested in the PN-40 or it's little brother the PN-30 then I'd suggest watching REI.com, Amazon.com, Walmart.com and other reputable retailers to see when it goes on sale so you can save some serious money. Good luck in your search for the be GPSr for your needs. :(

now that aerial imagery IS a possibility, everything has changed! I think that would be awesome.

my search just got more complicated...

There seems to be some serious limitations in place with the Garmins...100 sq miles is what has been reported. For myself, that's simply not enough since I know I usually cover much more area than that on any given cache run....YMMV. If you have interest in the Garmins, please make sure to read the thread about it so you know what you're getting into. Yes, I believe you can download to several SD cards or switch the maps on the cards, but it's not sounding all that convenient to me.

The PN series has the tools you need and the only limitation on file size is the amount of time and effort you wish to put into it (I have all of Michigan downladed to my computer and ready for transfer to my PN-40 any time I need it)!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Well, it's a bit premature to be advising prospective buyers new users about limitation in a product that's still in beta testing.

If you NEED to be able to download raster imagery, have it supported by the vendor, and have a full library of images supported by the vendor -- DeLorme is the only game in town. For now.

Garmin's firmware upgrades for their newer models might change that -- but I wouldn't try to set customer expectations, high or low, based on an unreleased product.

is it true you need a paid subscription to get these maps for the pn-40? $30 a year or so?
Yes, $30 a year, sometimes a little less if you can find the subscription cards on Amazon.com or other resellers. No free map sites, and the imagery you get is limited to what's in DeLorme's library (which is pretty extensive).

You can buy DeLorme's XMap if you want to import your own imagery from other sources -- but there's a bit more money and time involved with that.

... seems to be some serious limitations in place with the Garmins...10 sq miles is what has been reported...
Let's be fair here -- you're talking about a test version of firmware. No way to know what the feature set will be when it's fully developed and released.

And... the "10 sq miles" comment was not posted by Garmin, it was mentioned by g-o-cachers as an estimate based on 100 image files of a certain size and resolution. And... he later corrected this guess to 100 sq miles. AND Roddy, you should know that -- because you replied to the post where g-o-cachers offered the larger number.

In any case -- I wouldn't be advising potential buyers about product based on speculations about an unreleased feature.

Edited by lee_rimar

so i did some searching on the aerial imagery, is it true you need a paid subscription to get these maps for the pn-40? $30 a year or so?

any free map sites work well?

Yes, a $30/yr subscription. The routing maps come with your purchase of the unit, no need to buy the subscription for this, but aerial imagery is not and you will need to buy a sub for that. It's a great deal IMHO, you can load all of the USA to your computer if you have a LOT of spare time on your hands (it took me a couple of weeks of off and on downloading to get all of Michigan including the U.P.).

As for the Garmin raster, while it IS still in BETA, I am reporting what others have said in the other thread and nothing more. If you have questions on that, the other thread is where you should post them for the best help available.

And please forgive my typo, I meant to say 100sq miles which is still not much compared to how I sometimes range out for a day of hunting...YMMV. As I said, this was a typo and I didn't catch it until just now. I am sorry if I mislead you or anyone else, I am currently going through a serious life ordeal and my head is just not as into all of this as I could be. Will try to make sure my pstings are more accurate...

Edited by Rockin Roddy

things i'm looking for

has to have trip meter

good battery life

easy to use

$300 - $500 range

somewhat compact

thanks for helping out

Seriously, your main concern should be the battery life of the PNs, it is a bit shorter than what others report for the new Garmins. I use the power kit battery pak and see 8 hours of continual usage while a friend has reported 11-14 hours with the Duracell HD rechargeables. If carrying a spare set of batteries or so is an issue, I would definitely be looking toward the Garmins. I have used my PN for a few kayak trips and have run my batteries dead on more than one occassion (but again, I'm usung an 8 hour pak).

DoubelDawg, going back to your original request -- I would still recommend a Garmin 60csx or Vista Hcx.

The side discussion about being able to load other imagery shouldn't really distract from some of your original requirements: good battery life, compact, easy to use, accurate. I might also point you to a Dakota 10 or 20, which does meet all of your criteria, but that recommendation is only on the strength of the current product -- not what it may or may not be able to do with some future firmware release.

Best advice: Go to the nearest REI, or to a local geocaching event, and get some hand-on playtime with any or all of these. That's the best way to decide what will work for you.

Edited by lee_rimar

You know, I see no problem telling potential buyers of what is available right now, which is exactly what I am doing. If someone has reservations doing so, don't, but don't make it out the info is misleading because it isn't. BETA is just that, a trial of what is yet to come. They undoubtedly wouldn't be putting out the BETA if they didn't have plans to put out a non-BETA along the lines of the BETA. In this case, I have no doubt there WILL be aerial imagery available for the newer Garmins.

As I suggested several times, go to the thread and follow along for the best info available (I believe you already have?). And, yes, just like I reported about the upcoming changes DeLorme made (and was pretty much right on target mind you), I will continue to do the same with ANY product, giving only what I have seen reported by people I trust to give good and honest info.

But hey, as I have said, do your own homework so you KNOW you're buying the product you want and need! :P

thanks guys, I have it narrowed down to 3 units... the problem is I keep learning they do more things than I originally hoped for, getting me excited about features that I didn't think I "needed" at first. sometimes I get too picky & want the best of all worlds, even if there isn't a unit available in that category. Now would be one of those times... I just need to make a decision, I have a hunting trip coming up in 2 weeks & I want to have one by then.

I am seriously considering buying 2 as I have enough credit card points to do so & then figure out which one to keep & sell the other to my dad :P

again thanks for your help & my future questions will be in the most fitting threads

thanks guys, I have it narrowed down to 3 units... the problem is I keep learning they do more things than I originally hoped for, getting me excited about features that I didn't think I "needed" at first. sometimes I get too picky & want the best of all worlds, even if there isn't a unit available in that category. Now would be one of those times... I just need to make a decision, I have a hunting trip coming up in 2 weeks & I want to have one by then.

I am seriously considering buying 2 as I have enough credit card points to do so & then figure out which one to keep & sell the other to my dad :P

again thanks for your help & my future questions will be in the most fitting threads

You can also return the unwanted one should you decide before that option passes! This would allow for getting the best unit for your dad's needs as well! :D

Keep the questions coming, you're doing great!!