Confused about Geocoins

Desert_Trailblazers

We are newbies and are confused about geocoins. We understand that a TB is to be taken from a cache and moved to another cache, consequently traveling around to different locations, hopefully fulfilling it's goal.

If we get a geocoin and put it in our cache, what happens? Is someone expected to find it and keep it as a collectible item for their own collection, or are they supposed to pass it along like a TB?

We like the idea of a geocoin being personal, but want to make sure it will get moved around just like a TB.

Thanks for any help anyone can give us tonight. We are hoping to place our first cache ASAP! :mad:

Geocoins should be activated before placement, just as a Travel Bug. They are supposed to be utilized, moved, etc. just as a TB is. They normally are not intended to be taken and kept by another cacher.

HOWEVER: They can also be placed unactivated, in which case they become a "gift" to the next cacher.

Be sure to activate it if it is your intention to use it as a traveler.

You should also include with it a copy of its' mission, just so other cachers know where it is to go/do, etc.

Geocoins typically have a shorter lifespan (that is stay traveling) than do travel bugs. Most likely because most all are very nice, and some less-than-scrupulous people "add" them to their collection. Just so you are aware.

If you cannot bear to lose it, don't send it!

Good luck. :mad:

Don't automatically assume that it isn't activated (unless it is accompanied by a note saying so -- or a previous log entry denoted that it was left behind as an unactivated coin).

Sometimes the tracking number can be deceptive hard to read correctly. Do make sure that you have the numbers/letters correct (B not 8; 8 not 6; O not 0; Q not O; etc.) A common mistake, even amongst experienced cachers, but generally they will explore those possible mistakes. A magnifying glass helps, especially with people like me who do not see as well as they used to!! :(

I found the cache you picked it up at, and I do not see a log where somebody placed it for any reason (yet -- though it has been a while since you logged).

If after further checking the numbers situation you still cannot come up with a definitive answer, go ahead and try to activate it yourself. If it is activated, you will not succeed. If it is not activated, then by all means consider it to be your geocoin (some may disagree with me, do wait for more posts, first).

EDIT INFO: spelling correction.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

I've been caching for a few months now, and have been happy to collect and drop off geocoins in the same manner as for TBs. However, apart from at events, how does someone like me obtain one for myself to set off round the world? There seems to be a slight discussion on the UK board about Garmin coins having been available at two outdoor suppliers' chain stores in the UK, but is that the norm or do you order them online?

It may be mentioned elsewhere, but perhaps someone could advise...

:(

I've been caching for a few months now, and have been happy to collect and drop off geocoins in the same manner as for TBs. However, apart from at events, how does someone like me obtain one for myself to set off round the world? There seems to be a slight discussion on the UK board about Garmin coins having been available at two outdoor suppliers' chain stores in the UK, but is that the norm or do you order them online?

There are many geocoin suppliers linked from the "Geocoin Home " under trackable items in geocaching.com.

EDIT INFO: There are a number of UK suppliers listed there, as well as a number of other European suppliers.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

There are many geocoin suppliers linked from the "Geocoin Home " under trackable items in geocaching.com.

EDIT INFO: There are a number of UK suppliers listed there, as well as a number of other European suppliers.

Thanks very much - most useful.

:)

So, are pathtags different? I've been told that you can collect them. Is that right? Do you log pathtags at geocaching.com?

You can collect pretty much anything :)

Pathtags are good for signature items, not so good for tracking. All your tags from one die (one design, but you can have different colors in that design) will have the same number. The person finding it would need to create an account on pathtags.com in order to log their find, meaning many will not bother.

I got most of mine through trades. There's a pretty nice trading system on the pathtag site.

I have a question about Geocoins but I didn't think think it was worthy of a new thread.

I picked up a Geocoin a while ago and took it on a trip this weekend...but every cache I found was a flipping nano so I couldn't drop it off there. Am I okay logging the coin straight in and out of 1 or 2 of the nano caches I found because at the moment it looks like I've had it 2 weeks and it's only travelled 5 mins down the road where in fact I took it on a 360 mile trip around the UK.

Edited by tom tea
I have a question about Geocoins but I didn't think think it was worthy of a new thread.

I picked up a Geocoin a while ago and took it on a trip this weekend...but every cache I found was a flipping nano so I couldn't drop it off there. Am I okay logging the coin straight in and out of 1 or 2 of the nano caches I found because at the moment it looks like I've had it 2 weeks and it's only travelled 5 mins down the road where in fact I took it on a 360 mile trip around the UK.

Yes, you can. I think the term here is "dipping".

You can even do it after you've already logged your visit. Just log a note, post date it to when you logged your visit, with the text being "dipping coin for miles" or something like that. You can even delete the note after you're done and not affect the miles / travel record of the coin.

Hi everyone,

So just so I understand, when you get a geocoin or travelbug, you activate it, then you post that code in your cache listing and off it goes. Is that all there is to it?

Just need clarification.

Thanks!

you do NOT post that code anywhere, ever.

if you post that code people who have not seen it can cause mischief.

you activate it, and when you log that you have it (you can search travelers like caches and there's a log it button), it will appear in your inventory.

if you leave it in a cache, you use the drop-down menu to log that you left it.

and away it goes.

One question i can't find an answer to is do I have to trade a geocoin for a geocoin? Or is a geocoin something to be taken and moved to another spot regardless of what you trade for it. Sorry to high jack your thread, but it seemed like the appropriate place to ask for clarification. Thanks!

move it like a TB.

some cache owners will tell you only to trade one for one, bt it's not the CO's coin, you know?

I swapped it for an Army challenge coin. Not trackable, but I thought it was only fair.

one difference: the finder of your challenge coin willget to keep it. youhave to pass the traveler on.

back in the day we had a debate over whether one should leave trade for TBs. i held to the side that said one should, but general opinion and practice had it the other way.

so you needn't trade for them.

You have a very good understanding of travel bugs. You should apply the same thinking to geocoins. They are personal property of the owner and are not swag. They are to be moved from geocache to geocache just like travel bugs.

If you purchase or receive a geocoin for your own and want to put it into the wild you follow the same procedures as travel bugs. Once you put it in the wild it is up for grabs to the next geocacher and off it goes from cache to cache.

Just remember that since the geocoin is in the wild it can fall prey just like travel bugs. I have lost a handful of geocoins over the years to trashed or stolen geocaches, n00bs keeping them after loosing interest, etc. You take your chances. On the other hand if you collect purchased geocoins you can form a fine collection rather quickly.

-HHH :rolleyes: