a well guarded cache

brokenoaks

I finally convinced him to move and sure enough it was under that rock.

It appears you were polite about it! A friend and I once missed out on a "first" because we did not want to disturb a field mouse that nested underneath a rock, where it turned out the cache was partially buried. But more often its some of the caches guarded by rattlesnakes that tend to make me be the one to move.

faaf67e2-b129-4a51-a660-e4db457837b7.jpg

The cache was sitting right above this guy in the rocks. Read why it wasn't such a great concern:

Log for Picture

OMG! I havent seen anything like that yet when Ive been out. I have heard them but I just hold onto my gps tighter so I dont drop it and pick up the pace.

he looks like he just had lunch and is now basking in the sun digesting his food

sweet pic

faaf67e2-b129-4a51-a660-e4db457837b7.jpg

The cache was sitting right above this guy in the rocks. Read why it wasn't such a great concern:

Log for Picture

OMG! I havent seen anything like that yet when Ive been out. I have heard them but I just hold onto my gps tighter so I dont drop it and pick up the pace.

he looks like he just had lunch and is now basking in the sun digesting his food

sweet pic

Wait, Waaaiiit a minute. I was wondering where the lizard went. No wonder the snake didnt move. That was a big lizard for lunch.

:P

Once had to DNF a cache (GC177X5) that I was pretty sure was located under a raccoon.

The coordinates were looking good. Walked around the tree to the hollow side and - yup - someone taking a nap right there at GZ. Decided to take a pass on that one and left a log warning cachers that travel with kids and dogs to be careful for the time being. Finally did get back to the site and log it some months later. And yes, it was in the hollow right under where the critter had been snoozing. Wish I'd had a camera with me the first time!

After a nice bit of cool weather I decided to head out to a trail here in Huntsville last Friday and try to net about 13 different caches in the woods. I was feeling pretty good with the drop in temperature and went trucking along at a fairly quick pace to beat the sun falling behind the trees.

It wasn't cold enough.

I was about 5 feet from this guy when my inner monkey started screaming. I had been looking at my GPSr to see how far away I was from the first cache and just happened to look up. I jumped back and yelled a bad word about seven times and nearly wet my pants. I had to use a flash to get the picture because of the impending dark and my shaky hands, so he stands out very well in the picture. In really life I almost couldn't see him even after I knew he was there.

He's about three feet long and as thick as my wrist in the middle. Not HUGE, but big enough.

Dude never moved from the spot. Being alone, I lost all interest in the caches and opted to score a local urban cache in a small park down the road.

10-02-09%20013.jpg

A cache a few miles from my house (GC10YZT) is temporarily unavailable just because a Moma 'gator is raising a family there.

5b0dc9f5-b4cb-417a-b2a5-0f7cd9021d5c.jpg

This 'gator is within feet of another cache that is less than a mile away from that one, and is logged on a regular basis. (For a sense of scale, the bench behind it seats two people.) My 7 year old grandson walked by this bench today while on a school field trip.

A cache a few miles from my house (GC10YZT) is temporarily unavailable just because a Moma 'gator is raising a family there.

5b0dc9f5-b4cb-417a-b2a5-0f7cd9021d5c.jpg

This 'gator is within feet of another cache that is less than a mile away from that one, and is logged on a regular basis. (For a sense of scale, the bench behind it seats two people.) My 7 year old grandson walked by this bench today while on a school field trip.

That's one brave little boy.