Where do all these coins come from?

tachoknight

Hi all-

I haven't been geocaching very long (first was in April of this year, and it's only been in the last few months that I've really gone head-over-heels for it), and I'm absolutely astounded by the number of geocoins out there. I like idea of geocoins and travelbugs, and I like the things people have attached travelbugs to, but wow! I mean, really, wow! :P:P I haven't seen the same coin twice in *any* listing!

I read the pinned articles about geocoins, but they are really more pointers to resources. What I really want to know is: Are all these designed and created by other geocachers? It would seem, based on some of the sites I've visited, that making these are not cheap, so presumably the runs are pretty small. I would think, based on the work involved, and the expense, that it's pretty heartbreaking when somebody reports a DNF in a coin's log. :P

I'd like to know what motivates people to make these coins, assuming that they're not created en masse like travelbugs. It'd also be interesting to know how many have come back to their owners after being out in the world.

Many coins are designed by geocachers, but some are designed by the shops, too. And some cachers have their personal coins and there are many places, where coins are made :P

I can't really say something about the motivation to make a coin, because i haven't made my own yet.

But i love all the coins i own and because of that i keep many of them at home, because it would nearly broke my heart to see them go missing.

But it's a great feeling, too, to see a traveled coin come back to you :P

Unfortunately many coins go missing, because caches are muggled or some inexperienced coiners keep them, cause they don't really know what to do with them and how to log them.

Hope you can understand my english :P

Yes, coins are made in smallish runs of at about 100-250. However the maker isn't the one who releases them all. If you notice all the coins of a type have very different owners and that's because they are minted to be sold, to recoup expenses, and traded/gifted/activated and released.

If you go to the Geocoins Home page off the Trackable Items tab there is a list of all the trackable geocoins if you want to see how many there are. Then add pathtags and personal not trackable geocoins and you get the full picture. But then with 700,000 caches around there is lots of room for all this plinkety plink.

Yes, coins are made in smallish runs of at about 100-250. However the maker isn't the one who releases them all. If you notice all the coins of a type have very different owners and that's because they are minted to be sold, to recoup expenses, and traded/gifted/activated and released.

I'm sure it's in the FAQ, but how do you sync up creating a coin and its tracking number with the site? Does Groundspeak generate some tracking numbers and hand them off to the manufacturer of the coins?

BTW, I looked at the list....wow that's a lot of coins! I think I'm going to start considering a design of my own!

I'm sure it's in the FAQ, but how do you sync up creating a coin and its tracking number with the site? Does Groundspeak generate some tracking numbers and hand them off to the manufacturer of the coins?

BTW, I looked at the list....wow that's a lot of coins! I think I'm going to start considering a design of my own!

Part of the manufacturing process is getting your design approved by Groundspeak and purchasing the tracking numbers and associated activation codes.

I started with a different kind of coin called a pathtag, and enjoyed the trading, so I decided to have a personal coin made for me. The chiro-cache coin was named for a group of caches I had hidden in and around my hometown.

The design was a round coin, with a picture of my furkids, Logan and Heineken on the front, and a chiropractic caduseus on the back...a fitting coin for a chiropractor.

drnealcoin.jpg

I got my coins and headed to the geo-coin fest in Pittsburgh, where I got my real introduction to geocoins (geocoin101?), soon followed by my finding my way onto the geocoin forum (geocoin 201.)

My next coin is a memoirial coin for my wife; an attempt to honor her life, and how much she means to me; what greater motivation could anyone possbly have? The story on Kathy's Coin can be found elsewhere on the geocoin forum, but the picture follows:

SANY0095-1.jpg

As far as coins that I've released coming back to me, I've seen one at a gathering in Dubois, PA, not too far from where I live, and another appeared at the Mid West Geobash...in all honesty I've never sent a coin out on a mission where I asked the coin to return to me...I like watching where they go, and whose hands they pass through.

Welcome to the geocoin forum.

I look forward to seeing your personal coin...please save me one for a trade!

ILYK