Timezones on PN-40?

JDiablo

Am I missing something or are there only hour offsets offered (+/-12 hours)? Trying to configure one for UTC+4:30 and can't figure it out :P

Any help welcomed. TIA.

thread title should be "Timezones on PN-40?, UTC offset?". Dag nab typo! Maybe a mod can edit that?

Title edited as requested. -Hemlock

Thanks Hemlock!

Edited by JDiablo

I have one and I love it. But I rarely travel outside the US, so the DeLorme blinders are not an issue for me. But these things are issues for lots of people. Other problems include the lack of maps/imagery for areas outside the US (or, at least, outside North America); lack of support for grids other than lat/lon and UTM; lack of support for user-defined grids. Depending on where you are located, I suspect those might be more substantive for you than lack of support for your time zone :P

Well I can set it to MGRS all right, and have all the raster 1m imagery, topos and vector data I will need, so that's not an issue. They do have my time zone (PDT), but I'm headed into harms way in 8 days and should at least be able to set the local time??? :P

Hopefully the D crew will have a solution.

Edited by JDiablo

Second day in a row. It's for some kind of server-side upgrade. In all fairness, it is unusual. On the other hand, they choose to do it during prime time for their US audience...

Pretty sure you'll get the same answer over there -- at least from me :P In all seriousness, some of the folks who post over there regularly also frequent this board. Somebody else may well chip in here as well.

That won't make the unit popular in Newfoundland, Canada. Looks like it's also missing UTC+13 & UTC+14 zones? Why wouldn't they just have a user offset and avoid the issue in the first place? Seems like an easy fix for global coverage. Any GPS should be able to display a 4D fix of Lat/Long/Elev/time :P

Edited by JDiablo

I would hate to find myself on the other side of the planet and find out that the automatic setting didn't take the zones not listed on their menu, how can I verify it to work before I leave? It doesn't look like I have any other real choice but to return it for a garmin.

The only thing I can suggest is to call tech support. You can try putting the unit someplace where it absolutely cannot get a fix. Then use "set location" to place it half-way around the world. But I rather suspect that it's not going to try to adust the time (especially with it set to determine the tz automatically) until you do have a fix. Worth a try, though.

Edited to add: you might also try demo mode. Don't have any experience with it, but it's another place where you may be able to set your location.

And remember that tech support is only awake M-F during "regular business hours" in the Maine.

Edited by twolpert

That won't make the unit popular in Newfoundland, Canada. Looks like it's also missing UTC+13 & UTC+14 zones?

I think that timezone is Atlantic (UTC -4) as it is just East of Eastern Timezone (-5) (assuming no daylight savings)

Edit - My mistake I guess Newfoundland is also a half hour off.

Edited by snow_rules

Under the time zone setup, there is an "automatic" setting that I found my PN-30 set to.

It may work. Regardless, it will not affect your position or track logs. If you are going to geotag your photos, or create tracks for Google Earth, all track log time/date stamps are in UTC. The program you use to tag your photos or create KML/KMZ files with embedded photos will allow you to enter the offset from UTC, to match the time in your camera.

I just spoke with customer service, the wait time was pretty fast, and after checking with tech support it couldn't be confirmed that automatic would get the zone. The good news is that they were willing to look into adding a user offset setting, especially when we discussed the Newfoundland time zone.

Thanks EScout but I know about Zulu (UTC) being used as such, but I'm looking for the unit to display the local zone that is between Delta (UTC+4) and Echo (UTC+5), something even my old Garmin has been able to do for years.

Edited by JDiablo

My guess: since they seem to be trying to expand Canadian map support, they would be receptive to adding the kind of time zone adjustment you want. It seems like a relatively easy thing to add, and a glaring omission if they want it to be marketable in Canada.

Right, I wouldn't think it's very hard to add but then again I'm not a programmer. They seemed pretty receptive of the suggestion and said that they had even learned something. Humble and nice cats. They said that they wouldn't want me to end up at my destination only to find out the the automatic setting didn't work, but unfortunately couldn't confirm either way that it would or wouldn't. I appreciate the honesty.

Edited by JDiablo

Right, I wouldn't think it's very hard to add but then again I'm not a programmer. They seemed pretty receptive of the suggestion and said that they had even learned something. Humble and nice cats. They said that they wouldn't want me to end up at my destination only to find out the the automatic setting didn't work, but unfortunately couldn't confirm either way that it would or wouldn't. I appreciate the honesty.

Yes, I expect that it would be routine.

Now, go to your profile in this forum and then pretend that you are changing your own time zone.

Review that table and you will notice the 30 minutes for Newfounland and some others.

Also, there is a 14/45 elsewhere therein.

I expect that there is a similar table in the PN-XX firmware and a couple of addtional entries with boundary definition and it's a wrap.

Now, here is the place that you should formalize your suggestion:

http://forums.delorme.com/viewforum.php?f=...31fa852a0e9cfe3

Roger that?

Now, go to your profile in this forum and then pretend that you are changing your own time zone.

Review that table and you will notice the 30 minutes for Newfounland and some others.

I expect that there is a similar table in the PN-XX firmware and a couple of addtional entries with boundary definition and it's a wrap.

Roger that?

So what would make you think I should follow up with a post on their forum, when I spoke with them in person (on my dime I might add)? Do you think they were giving me the run around when they told me they would pass the recommendation to their programmers? I got the feeling that they were being sincere. Edited by JDiablo

I'm sure they made note and will pass it along. The forum TCP linked you to is a suggestions forum where others can comment on suggestions, sometimes improving on them. Perhaps more importantly, popular support for suggestions can be voiced, motivating DeLorme to give higher priority to implementation of specific features--customer demand is a big factor in their decision making process.

That's the general point of posting there. In this particular situation, I'm not too sure it's important to do so--your suggestion is clearly defined, the need is evident, and you already got a corporate ear. OTOH, it wouldn't hurt, and there might be some benefit I'm overlooking.

embra, no doubt that posted there would be a benifit to DeLorme and some of their users. Case is that I went there first for support the other day and was denied being able to set a user account to be able to post (this might have been a preacessor to their website update). Second, then their website was down. Third, I came here, and forth I called them @ (207) 846-8900.

BTW: When I clicked on link provided by Team CowboyPapa, I was oddly logged into their forum as "CowboySlim". Something didn't seem right about that and I and proceeded to click on the Log out link at the top of the page.

Please feel free to mention this issue on their boards and feel free to link back to this post or quote me. And be careful about posting links to their board that let others post under your account. In case it comes up The person I spoke with at DeLorme was named Josh.

Edited by JDiablo

Roger that?

So what would make you think I should follow up with a post on their forum, when I spoke with them in person (on my dime I might add)? Do you think they were giving me the run around when they told me they would pass the recommendation to their programmers? I got the feeling that they were being sincere.

On your dime...did you expect they'd know you wanted them to call you? :(:anibad:

Seriously though, if you spoke with someone and they said they'd pass the info along, I have high confidence they will. :blink:

On your dime...did you expect they'd know you wanted them to call you? :(:anibad:

Seriously though, if you spoke with someone and they said they'd pass the info along, I have high confidence they will. :blink:

For $399.95 plus tax I would have expected a toll free number for tech support, it's not like they cost that much these days. It's not like I didn't try to use their user forum for help. Kinda sucks to be the one paying for a call when the issue was their omission, not user error. Edited by JDiablo

BTW: When I clicked on link provided by Team CowboyPapa, I was oddly logged into their forum as "CowboySlim". Something didn't seem right about that and I and proceeded to click on the Log out link at the top of the page.

Hmmm.... that is interesting.

Since the were down the other day, I've had the annoyance of logging in everytime.

Hmmm.... that is interesting.

Since the were down the other day, I've had the annoyance of logging in everytime.

I wonder if there was some type of session ID in the link and you were logged it at the same time?

For $399.95 plus tax I would have expected a toll free number for tech support, it's not like they cost that much these days. It's not like I didn't try to use their user forum for help. Kinda sucks to be the one paying for a call when the issue was their omission, not user error.

Bearing in mind I'm not arguing the need for an 800 number, it's a fallacy to believe it isn't expensive for businesses. I've set enough of them up to know. They don't compare to the personal 800 numbers you can subscribe to.

For $399.95 plus tax I would have expected a toll free number for tech support, it's not like they cost that much these days. It's not like I didn't try to use their user forum for help. Kinda sucks to be the one paying for a call when the issue was their omission, not user error.

Bearing in mind I'm not arguing the need for an 800 number, it's a fallacy to believe it isn't expensive for businesses. I've set enough of them up to know. They don't compare to the personal 800 numbers you can subscribe to.

Be that as it may, had they spent the time to program the feature, there would have been no reason to try the forum, that didn't work, that lead me to check here, that required the toll call, that ended up with no resolution, that lead to me saving $100 on xMap, that I put together with the original $399.95 towards an Oregon 550 that was setup to UTC+4:30 in the parking lot at REI this afternoon. I guess I wasn't the right person for that unit. Thanks everyone that tried to help.