Signature Swag

Crafty Turtle

I can understand people after 1000 or so caches can get stuck for new ideas for swag to place in a cache for swaps, but can it get boring for people?

I mean, if you cache close to home, you often find cache after cache with the same swag - cos the same people were there before you - people who also cache close to home, leaving the same swag wherever they go. Luckily most people don't have a signature swag.

As for mine: I can buy these very cool mechanical pencils at 5 for a fiver (ie about a buck each) - they are 1/2 the length of a standard pencil, they have an eraser on the end, a gel grip, come in funky bright colours, and you click the end to advance the (refillable) lead.

I find this pencil the most useful caching tool - I sign the log then pop the pencil in the cache. I personally think a great caching must-have, and owning more than one is not redundant. But do other people think that?

Is it lazy? Or do you think signature swag is a good idea? Would YOU take it in favour of something else?

I can understand people after 1000 or so caches can get stuck for new ideas for swag to place in a cache for swaps, but can it get boring for people?

I mean, if you cache close to home, you often find cache after cache with the same swag - cos the same people were there before you - people who also cache close to home, leaving the same swag wherever they go. Luckily most people don't have a signature swag.

As for mine: I can buy these very cool mechanical pencils at 5 for a fiver (ie about a buck each) - they are 1/2 the length of a standard pencil, they have an eraser on the end, a gel grip, come in funky bright colours, and you click the end to advance the (refillable) lead.

I find this pencil the most useful caching tool - I sign the log then pop the pencil in the cache. I personally think a great caching must-have, and owning more than one is not redundant. But do other people think that?

Is it lazy? Or do you think signature swag is a good idea? Would YOU take it in favour of something else?

That's cool...

But most people following you won't realize that it's swag. I don't think I would ever trade a pen/pencil OUT of a cache.

There is nothing wrong with signature swag but I do agree with the comments about the pencils.

My wife often gets some really cool pens at trade shows. Ones that light up when you write, or have multiple ink colors, or a highlighter in one end and a pen on the other. They usually come individually wrapped and I would put them in my caches with the intent of them beign swag.

Without fail when I return to the caches the wrapper is off the pens and they are obviously being used to sign the logs.

I even tried taping putting post its on the pens saying "trade item" and it doesn't make a difference. Mind you that there is already a pen and pencil in with the logbook with these caches so it's not done because somene needed a pen.

Pens and pencils are just part of the cache to most people.