Winter caching with kids

This will be our first winter geocaching. Does anyone bring their kids along caching in the snow? What's the best way to go? I was thinking of getting a sled for our (soon to be) 2 year old but not sure how well it will fair on the trails. Also thinking about snowshoes for the older kids but again, I don't know if this is a good idea. Anyone have success caching with their kids in the snow?

This will be our first winter geocaching. Does anyone bring their kids along caching in the snow? What's the best way to go? I was thinking of getting a sled for our (soon to be) 2 year old but not sure how well it will fair on the trails. Also thinking about snowshoes for the older kids but again, I don't know if this is a good idea. Anyone have success caching with their kids in the snow?

Take a tip from "Cool Runnings". Put them in the freezer for a few hours so they get used to the cold. J/K

Unless the trail is packed snow, the sled idea may be cumbersome or you would need a sled with wide runners.

I found this one at the REI website. It's kind of expensive though. I don't suppose anyone has ever tried it? I'm torn. I guess I'll keep looking.

sled.jpg

http://www.rei.com/outlet/product/792471

Two year old pulling a sled...thats funny. You got it wrong though.I think that is an odd looking snowshoe. Im guessing if you wear them in pairs it doesnt look so bad. It looks like they would double as water skis or life boat if you fall through the ice. ....What will they think of next?

:P

I found this one at the REI website. It's kind of expensive though. I don't suppose anyone has ever tried it? I'm torn. I guess I'll keep looking.

sled.jpg

Could work. You think the 2-year-old could pull it?

It's a snow stroller. So, she doesn't have to pull it. She can push it. Although, I don't think she could reach the handle. She not quite 3 feet tall.

move to texas lol we dont normally get snow here in the dfw area lol so fall/winter should be great for hunting... no poison ivy, less brush, no mosquitoes lol

Do not think that poison ivy is not there in the winter. It can still get ya. The bad thing is it is harder to spot, because the leaves are all gone.

Hi Mayfields...From outsida (word?) Austin. Were out in the big metropolis of Dale..out in the Bastrop, Cedar Creek and Lockhard devils triangle area. I was just funn'in with ya. Everyone knows that those things are for when you go shopping way up north where it does snow. Wheels aint no good up there in that snow stuff in the parking lots of the Walmarts. :P

sled.jpg

It's a snow stroller. So, she doesn't have to pull it. She can push it. Although, I don't think she could reach the handle. She not quite 3 feet tall.

So I got this right... She doesnt have to pull it, she can push it. Youre going to buy a sled you get to ride in and she is going to push you from behind . I get it now. Maybe one of the bigger kids could help her out by pulling on the stringy thing.

Get one of these,

a5919e60-1faf-4cd2-aacc-6e86363b913d.jpg

and some of these,

e7c2e82c-238f-4f33-aff4-3d7c6133c8d5.jpg

and have an absolute blast!

6477aaef-e0de-4d63-953f-44f6807626bd.jpg

The junior ladybugs and I cache throughout the winter with the dogs, on skis, and on foot.

Alternatively, nothing beats a $10 orange plastic toboggan sled with tow ropes affixed to the front and the back (so you can guide it from behind when going downhill). Put a sleeping bag in the sled and the youngster will stay toasty warm.

Be careful on sunny days...little ones have sensitive eyes, can't tell you it's too bright, and are closer to the blinding white snow. Most kids will wear sunglasses just for the fun of it.

Get one of these,

a5919e60-1faf-4cd2-aacc-6e86363b913d.jpg

and some of these,

e7c2e82c-238f-4f33-aff4-3d7c6133c8d5.jpg

and have an absolute blast!

6477aaef-e0de-4d63-953f-44f6807626bd.jpg

The junior ladybugs and I cache throughout the winter with the dogs, on skis, and on foot.

Alternatively, nothing beats a $10 orange plastic toboggan sled with tow ropes affixed to the front and the back (so you can guide it from behind when going downhill). Put a sleeping bag in the sled and the youngster will stay toasty warm.

Be careful on sunny days...little ones have sensitive eyes, can't tell you it's too bright, and are closer to the blinding white snow. Most kids will wear sunglasses just for the fun of it.

That's so cool. I don't have dogs, though. I don't think they'd get along with my rabbits.

Usually that one day of the year it snows - I stay inside. It all melts in a couple of days and I can get back to caching.

If it snows twice in the same year, Ill repeat the above...

http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd86/ru...ny2000/sled.jpg

:mad:

Clearly you're not seeing the potential I am. Smear a little peanut butter on that handle and away you go. What good are our children if they can't provide us with a little free transportation now and again?

Edited by Castle Mischief

That's so cool. I don't have dogs, though. I don't think they'd get along with my rabbits.

Unfortunately, you are correct...the pointers and the huskies both have an affinity for rabbits, but it doesn't work both ways.

Here's a photo of all the parts, animals, and people hitched up. I had to dig around a bit in the archives to find it:

7fcbc34e-9e8a-4535-bc3d-539c60501d18.jpg

I was immediately thinking:

Caching through the snow

In a one-horse open sleigh

O'er the fields we go

Caching all the way

Bells on bobtails ring

Making spirits bright

What fun it is to laugh and sing

A caching song tonight!

Got it! Ding! Ding!..........Johnny Cach 1957.

Here's Mini-V Ladybug on skis at age 3.5. It seems to work out better at that age to leave the ski poles at home because they are one more thing to get in the way.

339e72dc-61fd-4e23-989e-292e7aad6a53.jpg

After a couple of years, the kids progress to working with the dogs. Here's Mini-I Ladybug at age seven with geoskijorhusky Ingrid:

f9baeb88-0ca7-4f4b-88a2-a8b792691755.jpg

They must love it. It looks like a lot of fun. I was thinking about getting something like this for my boys 6 & 14, and maybe us too. But they all but the most expensive brands have bad reviews.

snowshoe.jpg

They must love it. It looks like a lot of fun. I was thinking about getting something like this for my boys 6 & 14, and maybe us too. But they all but the most expensive brands have bad reviews.

snowshoe.jpg

Redfeather snowshoes are popular up here. They are lightweight and pretty durable. Youth sizes can be found for ~$55 with adult sizes starting at around $89. They have really small kids shoes for around $30. Snowshoes take some getting used to and kids especially can flounder with them if the shoes are too wide. With a foot or so of snow on the ground, a pair of adults could effectively pack the trail for the youngsters who are walking behind or being pulled in a sled.

Is doing any outdoor adventure or activity in winter with 'kids' that much different from any other?

I have my doubts.

Nice pics. :mad:

I'm not certain, because I haven't been hiking in the winter with the kids yet, but I suspect that sledding vs. trudging through knee high snow could mean the difference between a good time and total misery. Just from my own experience with my kids. I'll know more when the snow starts flying and I get them out on the trail.