newbie Here !

stuhly

I Fried my Explosist 210 Gps.. I called Maggalin(sp)and they offered me 2 choces .

A- Triton 400 or B-Triton 500 at $100 off list .

I will be using this on my boat ,car and mountian bike as well as starting to caching.

any input on this would be great . Thanks

I Fried my Explosist 210 Gps.. I called Maggalin(sp)and they offered me 2 choces .

I will be using this on my boat ,car and mountian bike as well as starting to caching.

With all due respect, I would suggest studying the existing forum threads on this very topic of which there are hundreds.

With all due respect, I would suggest studying the existing forum threads on this very topic of which there are hundreds.

The forums can be extremely intimidating for new users. They sometimes don't know what they don't know. Sometimes they don't know what to even search for and sometimes even HOW to search.

This user is brand new and posted in the Getting Started forum, but no one bit on it there so it was moved here in order to possibly get some helpful input. It's ok if you don't have any, you can just skip the thread. :P

If you're short on cash and were comfortable with the Explorist 210 -- get another one. Hit eBay or Craigslist and look for an Explorist 210 or Explorist 400. These are some of the best deals in used GPS units these days (easy to find for under $80, sometimes under $60). You'll already know how to use it, any MapSend products you have will still work, and it's well suited to the activities you mentioned.

A Triton, any model, will be a completely different experience and there are few who will say anything good about them. Of course, having said THAT, the 3 or 4 Triton fans around here will probably pop up...

---

Edit to add: Oh look, one popped up even while I was typing the first draft of this reply :P

Edited by lee_rimar

I use a Triton 400. I love it! It does paperless caching and it's compatible with Nat Geo TOPO's. Had no problems with it, works great!

Does anyone know the difference between the 400 and the 500? I would have to guess there are some, but I myself don't know. That might help the OP make an informed decision! :P

The 500 has an electronic compass and a barometer

I have a 500 and a 1500. They both work great. I tend to use the 1500 more due to the touch screen. Both are very accurate even under heavy cover. I picked up a Street level and topo map from this site. http://www.maps4me.net/index.php?language=en

$8 for all the maps he has. You can request any map you want from the Triton Custom map forum. My buddy and I asked for texas and he had it up for download in under a week. Really nice map too.