Feature Request: RSS feed for Watchlist

Arrow42

RSS feeds tend to work great when you have the exact same information going to a large audience. When you have highly customized information going to each individual user - RSS is not really the best tool in the toolbox.

Actually they are easily customizable. Sometimes I set them up for specific craigslist items that I search for.

RSS feeds tend to work great when you have the exact same information going to a large audience. When you have highly customized information going to each individual user - RSS is not really the best tool in the toolbox.

I'm not sure about that.

There's a website for iPhone users where we can do this very thing.

Each user can add apps to a "my apps" or "wish list" list, and the site generates an individual, customized RSS feed for each person, showing only the apps that are on their respective lists.

It would be almost identical to adding a cache to a watchlist and having the site generate an RSS feed for it. As new logs come in or the cache page changes, that would be reflected in the RSS feed.

Edited for clarity.

Edited by Skippermark

RSS is a simple XML file - XML can be generated easily via a PHP script. Once you've done it once it's just a matter of changing a variable or two to do it again.

As far as coding goes it is just as complicated to send out the e-mails as it would be to write to an XML file.

RSS is a simple XML file - XML can be generated easily via a PHP script. Once you've done it once it's just a matter of changing a variable or two to do it again.

As far as coding goes it is just as complicated to send out the e-mails as it would be to write to an XML file.

I didn't say it couldn't be done or that it wouldn't work - just that it isn't the best tool to accomplish the desired results.

I didn't say it couldn't be done or that it wouldn't work - just that it isn't the best tool to accomplish the desired results.

Well, why shouldn't the user be the person to decide, what is the best tool to accomplish that task. For me, it would be RSS ...

Klaus

Agreed - It would be a nice option for those who prefer to use RSS feeds over e-mail

/yes, shameless bump!

For you perhaps, but RSS is the way to go these days. E-mail is too unreliable with the spammers attacking it everyday. Google reader is the cat's meow!

Edited by Frank Broughton
For you perhaps, but RSS is the way to go these days. E-mail is too unreliable with the spammers attacking it everyday. Google reader is the cat's meow!

I just heard a report on the radio this morning that it's "official," email is no longer the preferred method of communicating with people electronically. For business communications, email is still number one, but for everything else, Twitter, Facebook, things like that are much more popular. Well, heck, I knew that months ago, but now that it's on the radio it must be true.

That said, Google Reader rocks. I setup my feeds in it for reading at home. Or, if I'm out and want to read something, I have an iPhone app that syncs with Google Reader. I would rather check the watchlist from an RSS reader where I can see all the caches on my list together, rather than having them get emailed to me sporadically throughout the day.