Cache requires a ladder to access....

salmondan

Related question. I have a cache that requires a magnet. I have it rated as a 2 terrain because you can stand at the cache easily, but need to drop a magnet in a hole to retrieve the cache. Should this be rated a 5?

I know of another cache which also requires a magnet that is rated a 2.

Related question. I have a cache that requires a magnet. I have it rated as a 2 terrain because you can stand at the cache easily, but need to drop a magnet in a hole to retrieve the cache. Should this be rated a 5?

I might rate the difficulty higher, but not the terrain. If you can walk right up and don't need anything special to get to the location, the terrain should not be a 5.

Unless seekers can't get to ground zero without the magnet, the need for a magnet doesn't affect terrain. Your example sounds like equipment that is required to find/retrieve the cache, which would affect the difficulty rating.

Maybe you should put a magnet on the cache and provide a string with a bolt attached to the end of it near by? That would eliminate the need for a magnet. (Most people don't have them handy)

Just a suggestion.

Technically a FIVE terrain means special equipment

Groundspeak recommends Clayjar's rating system http://www.clayjar.com/gcrs/

He says special equipment: Boats, 4WD, climbing equipment, Scuba, etc.

I would have to venture a guess, that if it fits into your pocket it does not fall into this catagory.

I had to bring a retrieval tool for a nearby cache recently. A bent coat hanger worked quite well. This was not major enough to make it a five rating.

Terrain is something you have to do with your whole body. Climb a mountain, dive underwater, lower yourself on a rope up off a mountain.

Pulling a piece of bent coathanger out of my pocket and lowering it in a hole does not entail my whole body. Neither is it terribly strenous.

However, if you use the coathanger on the cache owner because he created such a stupid cache, then that is more strenous.

Wouldn't the requirement of a ladder mean the DIFFICULTY rating would be a 5? It isn't the TERRAIN as such that needs the special equipment, but the retrieval of the cache. Or is the tree/building/pole/tall thing/etc, considered terrain?

There is a local cache that requires a canoe or boat to reach. The owner rated it a 2/4, because the cache can theoretically be reached by foot if the lake freezes. Here's hoping for a very cold winter, otherwise that particular smiley will elude me forever.

Wouldn't the requirement of a ladder mean the DIFFICULTY rating would be a 5? It isn't the TERRAIN as such that needs the special equipment, but the retrieval of the cache. Or is the tree/building/pole/tall thing/etc, considered terrain?
That depends on whether you think climbing the ladder is part of getting to ground zero, or part of retrieving the cache.

I like Sol seaker's "whole body" distinction. If the equipment is necessary to get me to the location where I can start searching, then it affects the terrain. That can include climbing a tree, climbing a ladder, rappelling down a vertical cliff, or bringing a light so I can navigate an unlit cave/tunnel. I might be able to reach the posted coordinates without the necessary equipment, but that doesn't matter if I need to reach a location above/below ground level to start searching.

But if the equipment is necessary to find/retrieve the cache after I'm at the search location, then it affects difficulty. That can include a magnet, a length of wire, or a few gallons of water, depending on the nature of the hide. I'm already at the search location; I just need the equipment so I can find/retrieve the cache.

There are times when the distinction gets blurry. If the cache is 25' high, but visible from the ground, then it could be 5-star terrain for those who bring a 25' ladder, and 5-star difficulty for those who bring a 25' reaching tool. In such situations, it really comes down to the intent of the CO, and whether the CO expects seekers to go to the cache, or to bring the cache to themselves. If such a cache is in an otherwise wheelchair-accessible location, and is easily seen from the ground, then it could be argued that it should be rated 1-star terrain, 1-star difficulty, and 5-star something else. But we don't have a rating for "something else": we've got just terrain and difficulty.