Ammo can shortage?

Is anyone finding the price of ammocans skyrocketing? And the lack of availability?

I went to my local surplus store today to help with an IGO/BSA 100 year anniversary project.

30 cal cans were 3.95 last time I went in there, and there were at least 100 in stock..

today, there were 10 cans, and they were 8.50 a piece!

I was told that the government is crushing the ammo cans vs. surplusing them out?

Uncle Stan (my surplus guru) said he used to get a pallet of cans every week. He ran some numbers while I was there, the government pays 13,000$ to crush the ammo cans. And thats just the cost of the ammo cans being crushed that Uncle Stan could sell surplus. (Stan did not specify if that was weekly/monthly/yearly). Imagine the cost of ammocan crushing America wide!

I was very disheartened about this, and think something needs to be done to save the ammocans!!

The US government isn't destroying any more than they always have. Just like the supposed ammo shortage, there is an ammo can shortage.

The problem is supply and demand. Most of the ammo is now going to the Middle East to fight wars and therefore less is being fired in exercises here in the states. Less ammo fired equals less ammo cans. Less ammo cans combined with ammo hoarders (because the fear that the gun rights are being taken away soon) will result in less ammo cans per buyer which, in turn, drives up the price on ammo cans.

I was looking to buy a few at a govt surplus auction and they were selling for 3-4 dollars at the auction. There is no way to combat the pricing.

I am toying with buying some at the next auction but the hard part will be to get enough buyers at $6 each.

The last time I went in .30 cals were about $7 and the .50 cal were $8 or so. Though there is a guy selling a bunch locally for 6.50 a piece, I grabbed a few, but may grab a bunch more to have on hand in case they do get tough to find. I do live about 15 minutes away from a pretty large army base though. 5 surplus stores on one block means the prices should stay low..

Its because of geocaching, I tell you! Hide more micros!!! :D

whaaattt?

Basic supply and demand economics. Stop buying so many ammo cans and the price will drop.

Or... maybe the reverse is true... maybe they've raised the price to continue making the same income despite the proliferation of free film cannisters. Oh, I'm soooo confused!!!

Really... considering the quality of construction... ammo cans are practically a giveaway (forgetting for a second that our taxes helped to pay for them in the first place). What else of similar quality can you buy for $3-$6? Not much. That barely buys you lunch at White Castle.

If it was a local issue people from one area would be reporting it.

I don't know what you folks are complaining about. The last time I was in a surplus store around here, they were selling ammo cans for $19.95. Didn't buy any!!!!!!

At that rip-off price I wouldn't buy any either.

I see those prices too. Military surplus stores will really rip you off. You just have to know where to shop.

I'm thinking it has to do with the way people are stockpiling ammo here in the states. I buy them at gun shows and men were almost lining up to buy them at the current high prices. They are great for storing ammo in. Blame Obama.

Wow. I did the math on one of those government auctions. It shows the original price that the government paid for those items. 164 cans for $1,833.52. $11 a can.

Built brand new to government spec...

which is why ammo cans are/were such a good deal since when they get sold off its usually for much less than was paid for them new.

Is anyone finding the price of ammocans skyrocketing? And the lack of availability?

I went to my local surplus store today to help with an IGO/BSA 100 year anniversary project.

30 cal cans were 3.95 last time I went in there, and there were at least 100 in stock..

today, there were 10 cans, and they were 8.50 a piece!

I was told that the government is crushing the ammo cans vs. surplusing them out?

Uncle Stan (my surplus guru) said he used to get a pallet of cans every week. He ran some numbers while I was there, the government pays 13,000$ to crush the ammo cans. And thats just the cost of the ammo cans being crushed that Uncle Stan could sell surplus. (Stan did not specify if that was weekly/monthly/yearly). Imagine the cost of ammocan crushing America wide!

I was very disheartened about this, and think something needs to be done to save the ammocans!!

Increasing cost yes. Lack of availabity, not so much. There are cans around, Its just kinda sticker shock when they double or triple in price from what 2-3? years ago.

As for the government crushing them, who knows maybe. But rumors about the demise of ammo cans have been around for a long time. Different stories, sometimes its ammo cans going to be kept and reused, kept and sold for scrap, changed out for plastic, completely replaced with cheaper disposable vinyl bags, and so on. The point of the rumor though is that they will cost more so buy now for whatever they cost. :)

If you look at the governmentliquation site there are still ammo cans out there. My personal option i the problem in Iowa is that none are being sold from the 'close' bases. That GL used to have auctions come up in different places in Illinois from time to time. Now most of the auction lots are farther away (and perhaps for larger amounts?) like Texas, Georgia, California, etc. Seems like the closest any have been in a while is the middle of Missouri. :)

Do you happen to know where Uncle Stan gets his cans from? At one point in time someone there told me they go to fort riley Kansas and bring them back. I kinda wonder if maybe they can't find any 'locally' so they either have longer (higher) travel/shipping costs, and/or they aren't buy them directly of GL just a pallet at a time from a middleman. Either way it ends up costing the people buying them for caches more. :)

Can somebody remind me how to search for words that are too short to be used in the forum search feature? This has come up at least three other times in recent memory and has been disproven- to my memory.

Oh hey, found two of them:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=210250&hl=

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=173294

Edited by Castle Mischief

Its because of geocaching, I tell you! Hide more micros!!! :)

whaaattt?

Basic supply and demand economics. Stop buying so many ammo cans and the price will drop.

Or... maybe the reverse is true... maybe they've raised the price to continue making the same income despite the proliferation of free film cannisters. Oh, I'm soooo confused!!!

Really... considering the quality of construction... ammo cans are practically a giveaway (forgetting for a second that our taxes helped to pay for them in the first place). What else of similar quality can you buy for $3-$6? Not much. That barely buys you lunch at White Castle.

You need more than $6 at White castle?? My friend, you've gone over the deep end.

I stop in at a surplus store in Lewistown, PA every 6-12 months or so as my travels take me that way. I've always picked up ammo cans pretty cheap there, $3.95 for the .30 cal cans and $4.95 for the .50 cals. Last time I was in (a couple months ago) the prices had more than doubled. I asked what was going on and was told that the supply had dried up -- the store couldn't get many at all from their supplier, and what they could buy were much more expensive.

So no, this isn't a local thing, it's a supply/demand thing.

Blame Obama.

How about we keep the political commentary in off-topic?

That's irritating. I would really love to know what commentary you are talking about. I gave no commentary. I do not get involved in politics.

I do know that because of his past political history firearms and ammunition sales have skyrocketed since he was elected.

I didn't say anything positive or negative about him.

Not everyone can afford to lay out thousands of dollars for hundreds of ammo cans.

The shortage is to the end user, not those who buy them from the government auctions.

Also, if you had been watching the govt auctions for many years you would have noticed that the ammo cans available from the government auctions has dried up compared to the availability a few years ago and especially before the Bush era wars. (not political, just setting a timeline).

Blame Obama.

How about we keep the political commentary in off-topic?

That's irritating. I would really love to know what commentary you are talking about. I gave no commentary. I do not get involved in politics.

I do know that because of his past political history firearms and ammunition sales have skyrocketed since he was elected.

I didn't say anything positive or negative about him.

What a crock. By saying "blame Obama" you have posted an opinion that is inherently political. I disagree with almost everything the current administration is doing but I do agree with CM's post.

I finally found some in the Dallas area for $10 for .50 cals ... I'm going to go pick up a few today.

Everywhere except this one location that I called or went to has them for $15 - $20 a pop.

Go to First Monday in Canton each month, I buy mine there for about 3 bucks a pop.

I finally found some in the Dallas area for $10 for .50 cals ... I'm going to go pick up a few today.

Everywhere except this one location that I called or went to has them for $15 - $20 a pop.

Go to First Monday in Canton each month, I buy mine there for about 3 bucks a pop.

Thanks for the heads up ... might try to make it out there for November.

Edited by tekkguy

I know of a website with plenty of free ammo cans. People just put them out there, free for the taking!

Here:

http://tinyurl.com/yupfd

Sadly that's happening around here. For the last couple of years someone has been stealing the ammo cans that are easily gotten to. The thief dumps the cache contents on the ground and takes the can. It has come to the point to where some of the local hiders don't list in their cache description what type of container it is, or say their ammo can is tupperware. I think it's the army surplus store people myself. What better racket. Sell me an ammo can for 4 dollars, steal it, and then sell it again to someone for 5 dollars, because there is a shortage and the price has gone up. :P

where would i source them in the uk? i live in oxfordshire.

I've never thought about it, but are ammo cans different on your side of the pond or are they universally sized due to quantity and dimensions of the rounds?

same boxes over here!! well the only ones ive seen were orginally used by the US Army, not seen any UK forces ones unless someone can correct me.

I know of a website with plenty of free ammo cans. People just put them out there, free for the taking!

Here:

http://tinyurl.com/yupfd

Sadly that's happening around here. For the last couple of years someone has been stealing the ammo cans that are easily gotten to. The thief dumps the cache contents on the ground and takes the can. It has come to the point to where some of the local hiders don't list in their cache description what type of container it is, or say their ammo can is tupperware. I think it's the army surplus store people myself. What better racket. Sell me an ammo can for 4 dollars, steal it, and then sell it again to someone for 5 dollars, because there is a shortage and the price has gone up. :P

Hello Ben, fellow "League of South Bay Geocachers" team mate.

Regarding the thefts, there was a recent topic on this, and I told how one of my cans got taken after over 6 years in the field. The discussion moved to methods of making your can ugly, and less desireable.

Suggestions included filling partially with concrete, stamping names and numbers in the can, and gluing stuff on the outside. I just completed a replacement 30 cal, with the geocache number and my name stamped in 6 places, and gluing over 50 small rocks. Its ugly. I will post a photo.

Hello Ben, fellow "League of South Bay Geocachers" team mate.

Regarding the thefts, there was a recent topic on this, and I told how one of my cans got taken after over 6 years in the field. The discussion moved to methods of making your can ugly, and less desireable.

Suggestions included filling partially with concrete, stamping names and numbers in the can, and gluing stuff on the outside. I just completed a replacement 30 cal, with the geocache number and my name stamped in 6 places, and gluing over 50 small rocks. Its ugly. I will post a photo.

I have a large one out there with 80lbs of concrete in it.

If someone wants to haul it out, then good for them. $7 will get me another one.