which garmin

smstext

I know all gps's work all over the world, but I am asking this in uk section as its where i be using said device.

Im looking (just looking at moment) for a gps that i can paperless cache with and with maps. Ive read in many places not to worry about maps if you are in the USA as there are many free alternatives.

I have looked at the oregon and the colorado but they personally to me look the same. I would like to keep with garmin and currently have and e trek h device, which basic i know has done me well so far.

I know the first thing that people will say is how much do you have to spend and the answer is truthfully as little as possible, maybe after a year with this device i can trade it in for something more expensive.

So to put everything into perspective of what im looking for here goes.

1. paperless caching

2. topo maps

3. hold min 500+caches 1000+ would be better so i can put other areas onto it too.

4. able to store info about the caches like hints.

5. Thats not the most expensive.

Many thanks

I know all gps's work all over the world, but I am asking this in uk section as its where i be using said device.

Im looking (just looking at moment) for a gps that i can paperless cache with and with maps. Ive read in many places not to worry about maps if you are in the USA as there are many free alternatives.

I have looked at the oregon and the colorado but they personally to me look the same. I would like to keep with garmin and currently have and e trek h device, which basic i know has done me well so far.

I know the first thing that people will say is how much do you have to spend and the answer is truthfully as little as possible, maybe after a year with this device i can trade it in for something more expensive.

1. paperless caching

2. topo maps

3. hold min 500+caches 1000+ would be better so i can put other areas onto it too.

Many thanks

I've never fully understood why this is so important to people. If you're going out caching, you want the most up-to-date information so as to avoid wasting time on caches that have been recently archived or disabled. That means downloading the cache data immediately before setting off. Even the most enthusiastic cacher is unlikely to need more than a couple of hundred caches loaded for an expedition. If you load up cache data for an area outside of your usual caching manor on the off-chance that you may visit it sometime in the future, the data will be out of date by the time you come to use it and you could end up wasting a lot of valuable time and effort.

My 60CSx will hold 1000 caches as waypoints and many, many more as POIs but there are very rarely more than a few dozen loaded at any one time as that is all I need for a day's (or even a week's) caching.

Hi

In my opinion the Oregon range is the best as this is what i use :unsure:

if money is a problem look at the 200 as this is currently the cheapest in the range.

this will save you some money and you can go with the Free UK Maps from TalkyToaster ( here on these forums)

Then when you feel you want to improve the maps you can spend some more and buy the garmin Discoverer maps or anything else.

the unit will hold up to 2000 caches

paperless

easy to use

In fact it does everything you have asked for :blink:

The Colorado is a very close second place but the prices between the two units are so close that i would pass on these and go straight for the Oregon, its much easier to use as well.

However there are some good deals around at the moment on Oregons with discoverer maps, saw one last night offering 50% off the maps when bought with the unit but no price mentioned

1. paperless caching

2. topo maps

Many thanks

I've never fully understood why this is so important to people. If you're going out caching, you want the most up-to-date information so as to avoid wasting time on caches that have been recently archived or disabled. That means downloading the cache data immediately before setting off. Even the most enthusiastic cacher is unlikely to need more than a couple of hundred caches loaded for an expedition. If you load up cache data for an area outside of your usual caching manor on the off-chance that you may visit it sometime in the future, the data will be out of date by the time you come to use it and you could end up wasting a lot of valuable time and effort.

My 60CSx will hold 1000 caches as waypoints and many, many more as POIs but there are very rarely more than a few dozen loaded at any one time as that is all I need for a day's (or even a week's) caching.

If i am going out for the day / weekend / or week having sufficient caches to keep me going helps :unsure:

For the recent mega i downloaded 1 PQ for the route 160miles 1 PQ for weston supermare 1 PQ for cheddar and the surrounding area and 1 PQ covering dartmoor and another for exmoor just in case we ended up that way.

Without a reliable connection to the net this seemed to be the best course of action.

Of course we couldnt do them all but any we found ourselves driving by we collected and did some proper caching as well.

this enabled us to collect 120 or so in the 2 week holiday. :blink:

I do most of the time just have the latest PQ for the local area downloaded either on or just before we go out :D

Hi

In my opinion the Oregon range is the best as this is what i use :D

if money is a problem look at the 200 as this is currently the cheapest in the range.

this will save you some money and you can go with the Free UK Maps from TalkyToaster ( here on these forums)

Then when you feel you want to improve the maps you can spend some more and buy the garmin Discoverer maps or anything else.

the unit will hold up to 2000 caches

paperless

easy to use

In fact it does everything you have asked for B)

The Colorado is a very close second place but the prices between the two units are so close that i would pass on these and go straight for the Oregon, its much easier to use as well.

However there are some good deals around at the moment on Oregons with discoverer maps, saw one last night offering 50% off the maps when bought with the unit but no price mentioned

I recently bought an Oregon from Handtec I found these to be the best price at the moment on the internet.

I looked into 50% off Discoverer maps on Garmins current promotion if purchased with an Oregon. However the unit must be purchased in a store participating via Garmin, not on the net and the Oregon units were more expensive up front to compansate the promo.

Cheers.

thanks all for that, will look into that, do amazon do gift vouchers for those who dont have internet access can purchase and send to those who do? might have to be this years i want vouchers for!!!

To the poster about having 500 caches on the device and cant understand why i can tell you, i work as a driver and if i get 5 minutes to spare i like to fire up the gps and see what is close to me. If we go out at the weekend we might start an area, but later on decide we want to move onto another area. I currently run a 500 nearest caches of home twice a week and have a nice blank area for a few miles out in all directions. By having room to store up to 1000 caches will be ideal like the poster above has mentioned for holidays when we go camping and might stay in an area for a day or decide in the end to stay a few more days.

Oh quick edit are the dakota 20's any good as ive just noticed that too but i cant find out which is the most accurate out of the three?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the oregon, colorado and dakota are all as accurate as each other as they have the same recievers inside. The difference in price is for extras.

As someone who owns a Colorado and an Oregon, I would recommend the Oregon. Can't comment on the Dakota as I've never used one. TalkyToasters maps are great (but where you live will be important, as some parts of the UK are more thoroughly mapped than others.)

So if I were you, I'd buy the most expensive Oregon you can afford, be that the 200, 300 or any other model.

Compass - I presume that it has a compass like my etrexH - only works when moving, where as the 300 works while stationary? or do you mean it doesn't have one at all?

The 300 has a compass - the EtrexH doesn't have a compass at all.

The Etrex's display showing direction does not use the earths magnetic field to give direction - instead it is interpolated by your present and last position to indicate the direction you seem to be moving in.

Hello

New trail mag is showing the oregon 200 for 135 quid. The company is uttings outdoors tel:08455555000. Website shows a different price but might be worth a shoot phonung up and placing order. You never know:)|

phoned them and they told me it was £235, when i asked about other prices they said they were wrong too, so to me their advert seemed nothing more than a way of getting people to look at their site or ring them up.

Hello

New trail mag is showing the oregon 200 for 135 quid. The company is uttings outdoors tel:08455555000. Website shows a different price but might be worth a shoot phonung up and placing order. You never know:)|

phoned them and they told me it was £235, when i asked about other prices they said they were wrong too, so to me their advert seemed nothing more than a way of getting people to look at their site or ring them up.

oregon

check these guys, they seem to be cheap, or willing to match a price you can find.

gl.

Hello

oregon

check these guys, they seem to be cheap, or willing to match a price you can find.

gl.

:P cheers will try them in the morning, my partner sent off an email to uttings tonight to remind them of the law of advertising two prices etc so tomorrow we will hopefully get a reply. but will try out handtec and point out the advert in trail magazine, which had a nice gps booklet free with it this month..

my partner sent off an email to uttings tonight to remind them of the law of advertising two prices etc so tomorrow we will hopefully get a reply.

I thought that the price was only an "invitation to treat" and does not, in fact, have to be honoured. It used to be the case that the store had to honour a displayed price but I thought this had changed.

Anyone offering to price match will probably check the price is valid though, and this seems not to be. Handtec are, IME, very reliable though.

Edited by HouseOfDragons

my partner sent off an email to uttings tonight to remind them of the law of advertising two prices etc so tomorrow we will hopefully get a reply.

I thought that the price was only an "invitation to treat" and does not, in fact, have to be honoured. It used to be the case that the store had to honour a displayed price but I thought this had changed.

Anyone offering to price match will probably check the price is valid though, and this seems not to be. Handtec are, IME, very reliable though.

getting a bit OT, but this is essentially true, and gives shops the ability to not sell an item which is incorrectly priced. HOWEVER, they are not allowed to deliberately put incorrectly low prices on to encourage visitors (either online or in shops!)

Anyway, lots of good advice - I'll mention one thing though - the new Dakota doesn't have the ability to deal with Wherigo caches, so for proper future proofing, the Oregon or Colorado are the way forward. We have a 200 and its the bees knees!

Dave