Someone is complaining...

Okiebryan

Recently, a long term cacher in my state who had a lot of really good hides moved to another state. He asked me to adopt his caches. I agreed to this, and he sent the adoption requests.

Last weekend, mt GF and I took a 450 mile trip to go find all of these caches and maintain them. Most of this batch that I adopted, I had not previously found. I replaced some containers, every cache got a new log, and some of them got new rattle can camo. It was a 14 hour day, and we had a lot of fun.

After I got home, I took care of all the logging. First I logged a find for the ones I had never found before, then logged owner maintenance, then updated the cache page as needed.

Today, I got 2 emails from someone who accused me of "cheating" and "inflating my find count". I have no idea who this person is, and at this point am inclined to ignore them.

What do you think?

To be honest I would not have logged cached I now own after an adoption. After my two cents have been delivered, my next statement is WHO CARES. So what if you have a couple extra numbers. I would ignore these people there is little to nothing they can do about it. If you really wanted to you could send an EXTREMELY cordial email explaining your thinking and telling them you respect their opinion. To be honest, I would just ignore it.

What do you think?

I think there's possibly more to the story. There usually is. But if just going by the facts you presented, I'd say ignore them. If they continue to harass you (assuming they sent you the e-mail through Groundspeak) report them to Groundspeak.

I'd clarify the situation in the log ("I adopted this cache etc etc") but that's up to you.

I guess I would edit the cache listings to say just what you said in your post here. You were asked to adopt all these caches for previous owner but first you went and found them all and after you found them you began maintaining them. I see no way anyone would bother complain-e-mailing someone for doing such a thing. It's great you took all these caches over and if someone has a problem.....as everyone else says, WHO CARES! hit the delete button and move on.

What do you think?

I think you're crazy for adopting caches so far away,,, :blink:;):unsure:

Really, if it was me, i would probably want to give that "accuser" a quick little heads up explanation. One email, nothing more, and if they still wanted to accuse you of somehow cheating, then ignore the heck out of em! :D

I think you're crazy for adopting caches so far away,,, :blink::D:unsure:

The 450 miles was the total miles needed to visit every one of the newly adopted caches. They were all within a 150 mile radius of my house. 150 miles is pretty much the limit of where I hide caches, anyway...so no biggie.

Well, the cache pages of everyone of these caches say under hider name: Cowboy Singer...adopted by Okiebryan.

I figured that explained things sufficiently.

It doesnt really tell the story of you not ever finding these caches before you started maintaing them....which would justify you logging the finds.

Recently, a long term cacher in my state who had a lot of really good hides moved to another state. He asked me to adopt his caches. I agreed to this, and he sent the adoption requests.

Last weekend, mt GF and I took a 450 mile trip to go find all of these caches and maintain them. Most of this batch that I adopted, I had not previously found. I replaced some containers, every cache got a new log, and some of them got new rattle can camo. It was a 14 hour day, and we had a lot of fun.

After I got home, I took care of all the logging. First I logged a find for the ones I had never found before, then logged owner maintenance, then updated the cache page as needed.

Today, I got 2 emails from someone who accused me of "cheating" and "inflating my find count". I have no idea who this person is, and at this point am inclined to ignore them.

What do you think?

I find it very difficult to believe that someone would do that.

Perhaps they had a watch on the caches for some reason and noticed the find notes on top of owner maintenence and jumped to conclusions rather quickly, but it is still pretty much AROCCC behaviour.

(anal retentive obsessive compulsive cache cop)

Edited by 4wheelin_fool
What do you think?

Really, if it was me, i would probably want to give that "accuser" a quick little heads up explanation. One email, nothing more, and if they still wanted to accuse you of somehow cheating, then ignore the heck out of em! :unsure:

I was looking to see if this was said.

If someone sent me an email like that I would simply and politely explain the adoption situation. That should cover it.

As to logging a find after adoption I can't see how anyone should have a problem with that. You didn't hide it, you didn't know where or how it was hidden, you didn't have any insider information. How could it possibly be a problem?

You're cool - you found the caches you didn't place, sorted them out re maintenance issues and adopted them. "Finding" a cache you placed is what is considered bad form. Refer the complainer to this forum and then they'll see the light. As someone said earlier....who cares? You know what went on, I would compose a nice sweet short and to the point letter explaining that it is quite OK to get a smiley on a cache that you have not found before and then adopt it. In fact, I am sure someone will post a link before too long.

There exists a small core group of cachers whose respect has a certain value to me. Enough so, that if something were to appear untoward in my caching activities, I would explain my actions to them. For the remaining 900 gazillion cachers out there, I would not waste my time or effort explaining myself when I did nothing wrong.

I adopted the first cache I ever found. When I found and logged that cache I had no idea that I would ever have the opportunity to adopt it. I don't see how anyone could have a problem with the find log I posted on a cache that I know own. I also don't see any difference in what I did and finding and logging a cache that you know you will be taking ownership of in the near future.

Seems to me that if you took the time and out of pocket cost, fuel as well, to maintain these caches for the good of the sport, than Bozo the Magnificent should keep his/her mouth shut! I see no "infractions"here as you did not hide them. Cache count? So what! YOU EARNED IT!........'nuff said.

Thank you for your efforts.

In the unlikely event that I even acknowledged the emailers existence it would be with the sole purpose of telling them to mind their own business.

I agree. But don't do it. Don't even dignify the allegations with a response. And don't post a rant on the cache pages or anything. :D

There exists a small core group of cachers whose respect has a certain value to me. Enough so, that if something were to appear untoward in my caching activities, I would explain my actions to them. For the remaining 900 gazillion cachers out there, I would not waste my time or effort explaining myself when I did nothing wrong.

This is my usual way of thinking. But in this case, sending clarification might help clear the air a bit and maybe save some problems down the road. Like you, i wouldn't feel that i needed to explain myself to this cacher. It would be more of an attempt to possibly educate and ease his own concerns.

Maybe I'm missing something ... but is the guy that emailed you complaining about your old find logs on the ones you've found before?

Or just the found logs that happen to be close to the adoption?

What's the difference in finding it a month before the adoption and finding it 10 minutes before the adoption? Or 10 minutes AFTER the adoption if you've never found it before?

What do you think?

hit the delete button and move on.

What do you think?

Explain to the person that you adopted them from another user and did not until now find them. If they don't understand that then forget about them. You might even get an apology. If you don't mind sharing how does the listing look? I am curious to know if you left the hide credit as the person who you adopted it from? I have so far adopted one cache. I kept the name of the person who hid it and added adopted by, my user name then the date I adopted it. Don't get too bent out of shape because of this person. You did nothing wrong.

Ding ding. We have a winner.

If you get even one more email them and it's through your gc.com profile- report them. If they are sending you emails outside of the cg.com system respond with a simple "do not contact me ever again". If you hear back from them after that then there are a whole grocery list of things to do. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Today, I got 2 emails from someone who accused me of "cheating" and "inflating my find count".
I never understood this mindset. So what if you WERE cheating and logging bogus finds? This person thinks that your logs are keeping them from enjoying the game somehow.

And it's one thing to actually think it, but astounding that they'd actually email you with their useless opinions of your actions.

I roll my eyes in their general direction. :D

To be honest I would not have logged cached I now own after an adoption. After my two cents have been delivered, my next statement is WHO CARES. So what if you have a couple extra numbers. I would ignore these people there is little to nothing they can do about it. If you really wanted to you could send an EXTREMELY cordial email explaining your thinking and telling them you respect their opinion. To be honest, I would just ignore it.

Why on earth would you not log a find on a cache you legitimately found? No rhyme or reason there...

...Today, I got 2 emails from someone who accused me of "cheating" and "inflating my find count". I have no idea who this person is, and at this point am inclined to ignore them.

What do you think?

You might have saved a little grief if you had found them, then adopted them so that technicly they weren't yours when you found them. But then maybe not. I've got one or two of these kinds of adoptions.

However your instinct is dead on. I supposed you could explain to them what you just said or perhaps point them to this thread, but sometimes folks will just think what they need to think regardless of the truth.

Edited by Renegade Knight

... Most of this batch that I adopted, I had not previously found. ...

... I logged a find for the ones I had never found before,...

What do you think?

Ignore them, you didn't place the caches, so you had to find them. Of the original CO had taken you to each one it would be a different story.

Go with your inclination. :)

They don't even deserve a response.

But if they contact you again, merely reply with a link to this thread. :)

Edited by wimseyguy
What do you think?

Really, if it was me, i would probably want to give that "accuser" a quick little heads up explanation. One email, nothing more, and if they still wanted to accuse you of somehow cheating, then ignore the heck out of em! :)

I was looking to see if this was said.

If someone sent me an email like that I would simply and politely explain the adoption situation. That should cover it.

As to logging a find after adoption I can't see how anyone should have a problem with that. You didn't hide it, you didn't know where or how it was hidden, you didn't have any insider information. How could it possibly be a problem?

It may not be that they didn't know where they were hidden, but that they are basically receiving credit for the same cache twice. Once as a find, and again being its current owner.

But its like many things in geocaching, either you care about (whatever) or you don't.

You say that you hadn't found most of the caches that you adopted, which seems like you had found a copule of them in the past before any adoption questions came up. Does the person who emailed you expect you to delete those logs too? I mean, c'mon, you found the cache 3 years ago but now own it, so that found it log should surely go. :)

Unless the cache was a super hard puzzle that you couldn't have solved on your own and they gave you the coords, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If it were me, I'd email the person a short (friendly) note and then let it go.