Introducing the geocaching flag

DENelson83

gcflag-big.png

The proportion of this flag is the golden ratio, said to be the most beautiful ratio in the world, and that symbolizes the beautiful things you can find on a cache hunt. Each colour used on the flag is used at least once on the flag of each country of the world, symbolizing the worldwide nature of this activity, and the arrangement of the colours reflects the same arrangement in the geocaching.com logo. The black saltire symbolizes the act of homing in on a specific location, sometimes from many directions, and finding something (think "X marks the spot"), and the logo in the gold portion of the flag is the public domain geocaching logo. The black border on the yellow portion is just to satisfy the heraldic requirement "never put colour on colour, nor metal on metal".

Edited by DENelson83

gcflag-big.png

The proportion of this flag is the golden ratio, said to be the most beautiful ratio in the world, and that symbolizes the beautiful things you can find on a cache hunt. Each colour used on the flag is used at least once on the flag of each country of the world, symbolizing the worldwide nature of this activity, and the arrangement of the colours reflects the same arrangement in the geocaching.com logo. The black saltire symbolizes the act of homing in on a specific location, sometimes from many directions, and finding something (think "X marks the spot"), and the logo in the gold portion of the flag is the public domain geocaching logo. The black border on the yellow portion is just to satisfy the heraldic requirement "never put colour on colour, nor metal on metal".

Nice design, I like it. Are you putting this in the public domain? Or do you intend to sell related merchandise? No opinion either way, just curious.

It's public domain, my friend. Feel free to have a flag in this design made for a geocaching event.

Thank you! I'm not planning any events in the foreseeable future, but it'll be a nice way to indicate which group are the lunatics in a crowded park :unsure:

Actually, I wasn't limiting that suggestion to you. Any geocacher can fly this flag to indicate that (s)he's a geocacher. It can be flown at any geocaching event, small or large.

Actually, I wasn't limiting that suggestion to you.

I know :blink: And I wasn't limiting my reply to you either :unsure:

The only event I attended, I didn't know anyone else, and had to wander around the park looking for a group of people with many of them holding GPSr. Having a flag where I could spot and home in would make me feel less intimidated approaching.

Each colour used on the flag is used at least once on the flag of each country of the world

There's no green, red, yellow or black in Finland's flag. :D

Still, I love your design! B)

Very few, if any, of world's flag have all (six) colours. Wrong sentence? Maybe "at least one of the colours used on the flag is used on the flag of each country of the wrold" ?

Edited by DeepButi

gcflag-big.png

Nice design, I like it. Are you putting this in the public domain? Or do you intend to sell related merchandise? No opinion either way, just curious.

I think Groundspeak would have issue with someone selling something for profit with their logo on it.

gcflag-big.png

I think Groundspeak would have issue with someone selling something for profit with their logo on it.

Nope, that's the good old public domain Geocaching logo. Hammered out in these same forums many years ago. They don't own the word Geocaching. Although some say they once tried. :D

Probably why the public domain logo is used and not the Groundspeak geocaching logo.

My assumption as well.

Nice flag and I like the thought put into the details.

Probably why the public domain logo is used and not the Groundspeak geocaching logo.

My assumption as well.

Nice flag and I like the thought put into the details.

I agree, works for me. Are you open to suggestions should some major consensus come along on any modifications?

gcflag-big.png

Looks good.

If I were to make any changes it would be to add a black border to the other colors as you have to the gold and to remove the black saltire. This would simplify the design while still giving the 'X marks the spot' impression that you were going for.

gcflag-big.png

Beautiful design. Could you upload it as a jpeg image? Thanks.

If I were to make any changes it would be to add a black border to the other colors as you have to the gold and to remove the black saltire. This would simplify the design while still giving the 'X marks the spot' impression that you were going for.

The black saltire can be removed, or even couped to put just an "X" in the centre, but adding a black border to the other colours would be a heraldic violation. The rule of tincture states, "metal should not be put on metal, nor colour on colour". White and yellow are considered "metals", while all other colours are called "colours". Touching black to blue, or white to yellow, violates this rule.

But, since you sometimes have to put metal on metal to place a geocache (magnets), the border can be removed. Whaddaya think of this?

gcflag-big2.png

Although I originally put the black saltire in to avoid the idea that geocaching was invented in Scotland.

Edited by DENelson83

The black saltire can be removed, or even couped to put just an "X" in the centre, but adding a black border to the other colours would be a heraldic violation. The rule of tincture states, "metal should not be put on metal, nor colour on colour". White and yellow are considered "metals", while all other colours are called "colours". Touching black to blue, or white to yellow, violates this rule.

But, since you sometimes have to put metal on metal to place a geocache (magnets), the border can be removed. Whaddaya think of this?

gcflag-big2.png

Although I originally put the black saltire in to avoid the idea that geocaching was invented in Scotland.

I personally prefer the flag WITH the black lines. BTW, is there a place where I could print it off?

us_flag.gif

us_flag.gif

You forgot the Geocache logo. Otherwise, nice effort but I doubt it will catch on.

us_flag.gif

You forgot the Geocache logo. Otherwise, nice effort but I doubt it will catch on.

It appears to also violate the 'rule of tincture' since red and blue touch. I guess that we should replace it with something else.

Edited by sbell111

us_flag.gif

It appears to also violate the 'rule of tincture' since red and blue touch. I guess that we should replace it with something else.

I'm guessing that when it was designed, not much concern was given for such rules that were based in a part of the world that the designers were trying to sepparate themselves from.

Now that one draft with the turkey on it; that one rocked.

I don't think a "rule" that some guy made up in 1568 should prevent you from doing something want to do in the flag design, or from changing a design so that it looks nicer.

I do like the flag, but can't decide if I like the version with the large X or without. I think the size of the large X somewhat overwhelms the rest of the design. But the version without the X did look a bit sparse.

Maybe a smaller X placed in the middle might be a good compromise.

Great work!

You know what? I think I agree with less white.
Less white it is.

Looks good.

It just occurred to me that that would be the Groundspeak Geocaching flag as opposed to the standard geocaching flag. The colors are distinctively Groundspeak.

Well, the thing is, not just Groundspeak is using that colour arrangement. Lots of other geocaching organizations use it.

http://www.geosnippits.com/

http://www.geocaching-qc.com/

http://yogosc.org/

http://www.mi-geocaching.org/

etc., etc.

Edited by DENelson83

gcflag-big.png

did you ever think about making this into a geocoin I think it would make a great coin :D

just my opinion

did you ever think about making this into a geocoin I think it would make a great coin :D

just my opinion

I don't have the funds. Maybe you can help? The flag image is public domain, after all.

you could try showing your flag to geocoin vendors some vendors if they like an Idea will make it at no cost to you and sell it on there site of course you will get a few coins for your Idea

Not digging it at all, way too harsh on the eyes, just seems to clash to me. Take note of groundspeaks use of the colors. They compliment each other pretty well. I think someone could come up with something a little more original and classic in my opinion. Something like a military flag which has some nice slogan on it as well and something proud to display. I'd like feel like some old folks who have like ten neon windsocks hanging off their RV with that. No offense, just sayin'

MilitaryFlag_Sheet.jpg

Edited by NWCREW

Well, I've just realized that the colour arrangement in my flag is also the colour arrangement in the favicon you see when you go to Google. And since Google is the #1 search engine online, and Geocaching is the sport where you're the search engine, the colour scheme seems even more appropriate.

Edited by DENelson83

us_flag.gif

One of the advantages of having a revolution - you can throw out the old country's rules.