Why?

SYOTT

Just curious as to why some events seem like they're "pre-approved" for the Mega Event status while others have to prove their 500+ attendance first... prime example is this weekends Geocoinfest (GC1JZ1X) in SLC, Utah which has only 228 signed up for it...

What happens if the final numbers do not tally the 500+ required for the Mega status? Does the icon get "reduced" to a normal event?

Not trying at all to ruffle feathers here... just curious

Just curious as to why some events seem like they're "pre-approved" for the Mega Event status while others have to prove their 500+ attendance first... prime example is this weekends Geocoinfest (GC1JZ1X) in SLC, Utah which has only 228 signed up for it...

What happens if the final numbers do not tally the 500+ required for the Mega status? Does the icon get "reduced" to a normal event?

Not trying at all to ruffle feathers here... just curious

Some events have a history of reaching 500+ people attend the event...

I suppose though...I would rather have an event get updated to Mega after the event rather than downgraded after...

The upgraded thing happened in Minnesota just a couple months back...

Edited by ArcherDragoon

It's PEOPLE not names.

One name posted to say 'Will Attend' could be a family of two adults and two children =4 people.

(Yes, one name signed 'will attend' could also be one cacher attending!)

The UK had to prove it's Mega status for the first two Mega's, but have know been told that on the success of those the next two will almost certainly be 'pre-approved' if they take the same lines as previous events.

TPTB messed up when they defined conditions for a mega event. The idea was to to create a event that was designed to appeal to a large number of people and draw attendees from beyond the local area of the event. They basically used the 500 attendee number as a way to determine if this was the case. I suppose it is meant as a rule of thumb. If an event has in the past attracted 500 or more or could reasonably be expected to attract 500 or more attendees it gets mega status. The addition of a new icon, of course, means everyone wants to get their event listed as a mega event. That has resulted in the after the fact reclassification of a normal event to mega if they show they had more than 500 attendees. I don't know if Groundspeak does the opposite and downgrades mega events that don't get 500 attendees. I'd prefer if events weren't changed based on actual attendance. If the organizers could not convince Groundspeak to list an event as mega and they got 500 attendees, they should just be told that next year's event will get the mega status.